Green: Walter Smith says not to panic over 'unpleasant' Rangers displays

Rangers chief executive Charles Green says former manager Walter Smith has told him not to panic over ‘unpleasant’ performances, saying his team would get booed off when they were winning championships.

The Ibrox club are 23 points ahead at the top of the Division Three under Ally McCoist.

However some fans have been unhappy with the nature of the team’s performances this season, most notably after the club’s Scottish Cup exit to Dundee United.

Smith, who managed the club between 1991 and 1998 and again from 2007-2011, has told Green to stick with his former assistant.

Green told STV: “I’ve sat with him [McCoist] on a number of occasions and we know what we’re trying to do with the club and it is important that the fans see and understand the difficulties we’ve had to put up with.

“Walter Smith said to me the other week he said ‘look Charles when you look out there it is not pleasant but you have to remember when we were winning nine in a row, we were getting booed off then’.

“It is a difficult time. Ally hasn’t got the players around him that he would have liked. We all have to work through this and see when league reconstruction comes round and then we can bring new players in and build a team that the Rangers fans expect to see on the field of play.

“But all we can do is win the titles in the league that we are placed in.”

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/rangers/216288-green-walter-smith-says-not-to-panic-over-unpleasant-rangers-displays/

Hmmm.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

‘look Charles when you look out there it is not pleasant but you have to remember when we were winning nine in a row, we were getting booed off then’.

Not sure I care for that, tbh. More than willing to give him time and a few transfer windows, but first season we're back in the top division with a transfer window - anything less than second won't be good enough.

Not sure I care for that, tbh. More than willing to give him time and a few transfer windows, but first season we're back in the top division with a transfer window - anything less than second won't be good enough.

It's not as if people booed during trophy presentations either!

Not sure I agree with Walter here...the assertion we don't have the players argument does not wash when you consider the level of opposition we are facing....full time players on big money should still be able to play with fluency, structure and vibrancy on a consistent basis against part time players.

That's the worrying thing about Smith being on the board, he's Ally's mate so of course he's going to take this stance, especially as he was always a results driven manager. Nothing wrong with that when you are winning the SPL and domestic cups but poor performances almost every week in the lower divisions and getting routinely humped out of cup competitions (including the Ramsden's cup) will put some supporters off attending and as sure as night follows day Green's only going concern is putting arses on seats.

We could go out and at least try and play pass and move football. Nobody can tell me we don't have the players for it.

For some reason even being 20 odd points clear the players play as though there is a colossal amount of pressure on their shoulders.

Agree 100%, sometimes there's no sense of perspective in relation to our performances. On the run to the UEFA cup final I can honestly say I didn't enjoy one game as a footballing spectacle!

Plenty of emotion, drama, frustration, anger and fraught nerves but now Wow! we played amazing! But ther were some awesome results! We want it all but can't get it all unfortunately,

Bill Struth could rise from the grave, say the exact same and some people still wouldn't take it on board.

I'm content that the majority of our support see the bigger picture.

What bigger picture? We've got players on thousands a week, playing part-timers and mechanics, and we can't even string a few passes against them.

For me McCoist at least deserves the opportunity to bolster the squad in particular the defense in the next transfer window but its pivotal that he gets it exactly right 'cos the opportunity to reassemble before reentering top flight football would only be available via one or two windows thereafter. if he doesn't get it bang on there is no logical reasons for putting faith in him to spend further.

What bigger picture? We've got players on thousands a week, playing part-timers and mechanics, and we can't even string a few passes against them.

we can't pass a ball lol. Melodramatic much, not long till you start calling ally out again I guess :)

That's a nice 'wee' picture you paint.

It's not a picture, it's the truth. No-one can argue with it. If you're going to have a team play as bad as that, you at the very least need a defence. Stirling Albion last week, twice we let their players get free headers in the box, did we learn? No, they eventually took their third chance. That's not just poor, it's pathetic. A deaf Stevie Wonder could see it coming.

For me McCoist at least deserves the opportunity to bolster the squad in particular the defense in the next transfer window but its pivotal that he gets it exactly right 'cos the opportunity to reassemble before reentering top flight football would only be available via one or two windows thereafter. if he doesn't get it bang on there is no logical reasons for putting faith in him to spend further.

This is his squad. He signed the majority of it. His track record is poor when it comes to signings.