3rd Reply from MP Re HMRC (Also Featuring Mr Gauke)

Mr Gaukes letter

Dear Barbara

Thank you for your letter on 22 Febuary enclosing correspondence from your constituant Mr ***** about Rangers FC and HMRC.

Mr ***** is concerned that information relating to Rangers FC may have been leaked from HMRC. He has asked for clarification of HMRC's data protection policy in circumstances such as the Rangers FC tax case.

I understand Mr ***** concern that, as a publicly funded organisation HMRC should be transparant and accountable. I can assure you that HMRC takes taxpayer confidentiality extremely seriously and takes robust steps to ensure that its officers comply with the provisions of the Commissoners for Revenue and Customs Act 2005, the Data Protection and Human Rights Acts to prevent unlawfull disclosures. I regret that I am unable to provide you with further information as HMRC does not comment on speculation about breaches of confidentiality.

Please pass on my thanks to Mr ***** for taking the trouble to make us aware of these concerns.

Yours

David Gauke.

Then my MP just says i trust the Ministers response clarifies the issues you raised with me, which it does not, nowhere near. Does anybody have any ideas what i could do now as im not happy with that response from Mr Gauke but its clear from this and other posters replys that hes not going to say any more about HMRC's leaks. Any ideas appreciated.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to have seen loads of these threads and they never seem to answer at all, the question is, does not commenting on it mean they're not doing anything to investigate it or just that they're not commenting on it? You could ask that but I'm sure they'd just say they don't comment on not commenting on speculation about breaches of confidentiality.

Also, why not? They should be commenting on it not sweeping it under the carpet.

This word is the problem,

HMRC does not comment on speculation about breaches of confidentiality.

they don't seem to accept that any breaches took place.How they can regard it as speculation I don't know, they're seems to be enough proof

Yep that is the word indeed.

I seem to have seen loads of these threads and they never seem to answer at all, the question is, does not commenting on it mean they're not doing anything to investigate it or just that they're not commenting on it? You could ask that but I'm sure they'd just say they don't comment on not commenting on speculation about breaches of confidentiality.

Also, why not? They should be commenting on it not sweeping it under the carpet.

I know its just a way of saying we dont really care and we are not going to tell you anything now go away. Im wondering if theres anybody else i can write to, maybe higher up in goverment as it seems everybody has got the same response from David Gauke, and i dont want to let this drop until somebody awnsers the question of will there be an inquiry. As for the police i live in Salford and as ive already said GMP dont like us anyway and this is not likely to be taken seriously by them plus i thought David Murray had already asked Strathclyde Police to look into it?

This word is the problem,

HMRC does not comment on speculation about breaches of confidentiality.

they don't seem to accept that any breaches took place.How they can regard it as speculation I don't know, they're seems to be enough proof

Thats a great point, how else could RTC blog have had such sensitive and personal information unless it came from HMRC?

Thats a great point, how else could RTC blog have had such sensitive and personal information unless it came from HMRC?

If you are a shareholder then write a formal complaint as such to Strathclyde Police as they are the investigating force I believe. A crime certainly appears to have been committed by person or persons unknown at HMRC. The police can investigate whether HMRC want to talk about it or not. As a shareholder, you are not just any ordinary member of public, you are a part owner of RFC 2012 Plc which company's information has been deliberately leaked. That is a criminal offence.

If you are a shareholder then write a formal complaint as such to Strathclyde Police as they are the investigating force I believe. A crime certainly appears to have been committed by person or persons unknown at HMRC. The police can investigate whether HMRC want to talk about it or not. As a shareholder, you are not just any ordinary member of public, you are a part owner of RFC 2012 Plc which company',s information has been deliberately leaked. That is a criminal offence.

Im not a shareholder though, just a supporter i'll try writing to Strathclyde anyway though, its better than nothing (tu)

I know its just a way of saying we dont really care and we are not going to tell you anything now go away. Im wondering if theres anybody else i can write to, maybe higher up in goverment as it seems everybody has got the same response from David Gauke, and i dont want to let this drop until somebody awnsers the question of will there be an inquiry. As for the police i live in Salford and as ive already said GMP dont like us anyway and this is not likely to be taken seriously by them plus i thought David Murray had already asked Strathclyde Police to look into it?

As a mere citizen you don't have many options to persue them for answers other than you're MP.

The only other people they will entertain are lawyers although I don't think you'll have the spare cash to hire one.

They obviously don't believe a leak has been made so evidence will be needed to show them otherwise, the RTC blog provides that and there's plenty copies flying about

Well done for trying though

As a mere citizen you don't have many options to persue them for answers other than you're MP.

The only other people they will entertain are lawyers although I don't think you'll have the spare cash to hire one.

They obviously don't believe a leak has been made so evidence will be needed to show them otherwise, the RTC blog provides that and there's plenty copies flying about

Well done for trying though

If you or anybody could direct me to a source for RTC blog via PM i would happily get it printed and sent to Mr Gauke (tu)

I got a second similar reply from the HMRC Ministerial unit.

I have written back asking HMRC if they are subject to Freedom of Information Requests, thereafter, they could comment "in general terms" regarding possbile leaks.

A good point what did they say 'in general terms'?

This may be incorrect but reading the letter in the original post I think a formal letter to HMRC which clearly states that as a taxpayer you suspect a leak has taken place and asking them as the authority to put that in the hands of the police for investigation or explain to you why they won't do so. I'd copy the letter to your MP again and maybe also to the police anti fraud unit!?

Somebody has to take ownership surely!

A good point what did they say 'in general terms'?

The 2 replies I got stated the usual "they dont comment on speculation of leaks "etc so I have asked them if they are subject to FOI requests.

If they are, I will send a FOI request regarding leaks / internal investigation and without going into HMRC specifics.

I await their response.

This may be incorrect but reading the letter in the original post I think a formal letter to HMRC which clearly states that as a taxpayer you suspect a leak has taken place and asking them as the authority to put that in the hands of the police for investigation or explain to you why they won't do so. I'd copy the letter to your MP again and maybe also to the police anti fraud unit!?

Somebody has to take ownership surely!

Good suggestions i'll try sending copys off to HMRC themselves and the police and try being a bit more forcefull ie why is there no investigation rather than hoping they will start one (tu)

The 2 replies I got stated the usual "they dont comment on speculation of leaks "etc so I have asked them if they are subject to FOI requests.

If they are, I will send a FOI request regarding leaks / internal investigation and without going into HMRC specifics.

I await their response.

Good man (tu) how do you go about making a FOI request? Id like to try that too.

So HMRC doesn't comment on potential criminal acts, even if there's a complaint, via their MP from a member of the public.

What kind of democracy is it we're living in???

To Elephants Stoned, I don't seem to be able to cut'n'paste on this site, but just put in FoI into google and you'll get their website. I had the Scottish one, but you might need the British one. There should be info on the westminster parliments website.

So HMRC doesn't comment on potential criminal acts, even if there's a complaint, via their MP from a member of the public.

What kind of democracy is it we're living in???

To Elephants Stoned, I don't seem to be able to cut'n'paste on this site, but just put in FoI into google and you'll get their website. I had the Scottish one, but you might need the British one. There should be info on the westminster parliments website.

Cheers bud (tu) I know its shocking how little the Goverment are prepared to do for the voters, until its election time then they cant make enough promises :rolleyes: