The Passing Game

SteveJ

With our displays of late causing controversy amongst our peers, I got to thinking about our times gone by and how we passed the ball back in the day. I remembered playing good football but never solid passing games that we see from the likes of Barca and Real.

I then came across a You Tube clip which brought me right back to 1999 when we took the piss out of Borusia Dortmund.

The passing ability back then compared to now is so far apart.

With our displays of late causing controversy amongst our peers, I got to thinking about our times gone by and how we passed the ball back in the day. I remembered playing good football but never solid passing games that we see from the likes of Barca and Real.

I then came across a You Tube clip which brought me right back to 1999 when we took the piss out of Borusia Dortmund.

The passing ability back then compared to now is so far apart.

I think the standard of player we had back then was a major factor tbh.

Easier to play that football when you have the resources & finances Advocaat had at his disposal (tu)

Easier to string numerous passes together in the Champions League maybe, but to have players pass to 3rd division opposition today? Hmmm.

The climb up the leagues is and was always going to be an ugly one.

We have a shite squad and we're playing on some horrible pitches, some of which are artificial.

We ain't exactly set the place on fire at Ibrox in the past month or so to be fair

Our squad is shite, as I said.

Templeton, Wallace, MacLeod and maybe, a huge maybe, McKay are the only players who will be good enough when we return to the SPL.

Should still be able to play a decent brand of football against the lands worst teams who some are part time clubs. We might not have a great squad but we have one which should be able to consistently look significantly better than our opponents (tu)

Should still be able to play a decent brand of football against the lands worst teams who some are part time clubs. We might not have a great squad but we have one which should be able to consistently look significantly better than our opponents (tu)

Should still be able to pass a damn football.

We need to remember that while the novelty of being in the Third Division has worn-out for us, it's the biggest game of our opponent's season, their World Cup final when they play us. That's a big psychological impact.

Look at Templeton, for example. He thinks he's World Cup Willie in this league and I don't blame him. It's the small things like strolling around the pitch and the extra flick or trick, here and there.

We're going to win this league. Good, it wasn't difficult. Move on. Next league.

We need to remember that while the novelty of being in the Third Division has worn-out for us, it's the biggest game of our opponent's season, their World Cup final when they play us. That's a big psychological impact.

Look at Templeton, for example. He thinks he's World Cup Willie in this league and I don't blame him. It's the small things like strolling around the pitch and the extra flick or trick, here and there.

We're going to win this league. Good, it wasn't difficult. Move on. Next league.

I am the first to defend all that is Rangers in the 3rd Division but you need to admit we have been shite!

Yes, we are facing the minnows who wish to have our blood but we should be able to see them off over 90 minutes, in most cases.

I think you're giving this squad too much credit, to be honest.

Why?

Wallace, Black, Jig, Alexander - SPL, European and international experience

Templeton - SPL and European experience

Shiels and Little - SPL and International experience

Sandaza and Kyle - SPL, England experience

Then you have Perry, Cribari, Argyriou who have played abroad in the latter cases with one in Seria A.

Now are you telling me with a squad containing the above we should not be playing good football in a Donald Duck league against part time teams?

Come on!

You're being very, very generous there, don't you think?

McCulloch hasn't been been a regular starter in the SPL since about 2008 and Alexander has played a few more SPL games than me, for a start.

You've said experience, as well. In my opinion, you need more than just experience to be a good player.

Having said that, I agree completely that we should be pumping these sides in style, but I'm offering a realistic reason for not doing so. We're shite, while they're extremely shite, and there's the psychological issue.

Football is a simple passing game and we make it difficult.

Pass and move into a space to recieve the ball back, simples.

I used to slag Barry Ferguson for going back the way, but fuck he knows more about the game than I do.

Most Scottish players can't control a ball when it comes to them while it's slow or fast.

I remember schoolboy rules that seem to be ignored in pros. One is don't let the ball bounce when it comes to you because if you do the opponent will close you down. Another one was - draw the man - which meant don't pass the ball right away, wait till the opponent gets closer then pass to your team mate and takes opponent out of play.

Ally, do you watch this forum?