Bill Struth V Sir Alex

I also thought the same. This applauding of Alex Ferguson is doing my nut in and shows a lack of real news and it's reporting these days.

Wasn't Scott Symon in charge for a lot longer that Fergie as well?

The idea that fergie done everything with a small budget is laughable as well.

I also thought the same. This applauding of Alex Ferguson is doing my nut in and shows a lack of real news and it's reporting these days.

Wasn't Scott Symon in charge for a lot longer that Fergie as well?

The idea that fergie done everything with a small budget is laughable as well.

No. Scott Symon had 13 years at Rangers in a 33 year managerial career.

Fergie had a small budget at Aberdeen and, initially, at United. I think his net spend in the modern era if measured against success is as good as anyone. I think the press tend to look at his best purchases like Schmeichel, Cantona, Irwin etc. Even Cristiano Ronaldo was £12M well spent. Critics will always point to Veron but, on the whole his transfer record is more than impressive.

Whatever the undeniable quality and quantity of relative merits of each, is it not great that we are having this discussion about two men who both have represented Rangers Football Club. I think we can also be certain you would not have wanted to have let either one down!

Anything Ferguson has ever done he done for Ferguson, spent millions in fact he's probably one of the main men responsible for turning the football game into the greed ridden/corrupt society it has become. If truth be told he should have won a lot more with the millions he's squandered in his time. He falls woefully short of Bill Struth as an Ambassador for The Beautiful Game ! :sherlock:

They are pretty similar in terms of building something. You have to wonder where or what Rangers would b if not for Struth, the success he brought and values instilled. Without Ferguson & the domination he braught would Man United be the global brand on a par with Madrid?

I don't mind SAF having the greatest tag, his achievements are unmatched and you can't really compare him to Struth, or anyone really from pre-70's, the times were just too different to be comparable.

Anything Ferguson has ever done he done for Ferguson, spent millions in fact he's probably one of the main men responsible for turning the football game into the greed ridden/corrupt society it has become. If truth be told he should have won a lot more with the millions he's squandered in his time. He falls woefully short of Bill Struth as an Ambassador for The Beautiful Game ! :sherlock:

:lol: some football fans really are clueless, i hope McCoist squanders millions like Sir Alex squandered them LOOOL

There were people on this forum less than a week ago calling Ally the greatest ever Ranger - No he's not. Bill Struth is the greatest ever Ranger.

Bill Struth - Is one of the most successful managers in Scottish football history, amassing 18 league championships, 10 Scottish Cups, 2 League Cups, 7 war-time championships, 19 Glasgow Cups, 17 Glasgow Merchant Charity Cups and a host of other war-time honours.

Sruth then, Struth now, Struth forever!

:lol: some football fans really are clueless, i hope McCoist squanders millions like Sir Alex squandered them LOOOL

You hivnae a clue about Ferguson kid, you believe everything sky sports news tells you, (tu)doh he squandered millions compared to what he won but I'm sure the squandered cash went to a good home ! ;):sherlock:

Struth won more than Ferguson at Man Utd, but Ferguson has won more club trophies than Struth with all the clubs he's managed.

Although Ferguson has had more trophies to aim for, Struth for the majority of his time only had the League and Scottish Cup, until the league cup came about in his later years.

You hivnae a clue about Ferguson kid, you believe everything sky sports news tells you, (tu) he squandered millions compared to what he won but I'm sure the squandered cash went to a good home ! ;):sherlock:

he made every pent he spent. Look at what he won, fk me, i wonder how much he could have on if he didn't squander all that money :lol:

Alex Ferguson is the greatest manager and most successful ever.

He has won the majority of his trophies in one of the hardest leagues and competitions in the world and also dominated Scottish football with a minnow.

Bill Struth is a legend of course and highly regarded but you have to compare the competition each faced. As a direct comparison, thats why the other mobs achievement in 1967 cannot be compared to what teams have to do now to win the CL. The teams they played in the main wouldnt get anywhere near the CL format nowadays. (tu)

One thing I will say, if Struth had the League Cup and European Cup to aim for during his tenure, he would have been a more successful manager than Ferguson, no doubt and we would have been European champions a few times. We were arguably one of the biggest football teams in world football at that point. Easily the biggest in Britain.

he made every pent he spent. Look at what he won, fk me, i wonder how much he could have on if he didn't squander all that money :lol:

Wonder how much he squandered on the hoarses ! :sherlock:

Bill Struth was a great manager and had European competition been around in his day who knows how he might have fared.

Fergie has a record in the UK that is second to none and he has also fared well in Europe with not one but two clubs. If you do not see Fergie as a former Ranger and a great manager then you may have some serious issues that cannot be fixed in here.

Bill Struth was a great manager and had European competition been around in his day who knows how he might have fared.

Fergie has a record in the UK that is second to none and he has also fared well in Europe with not one but two clubs. If you do not see Fergie as a former Ranger and a great manager then you may have some serious issues that cannot be fixed in here.

Have not seen anyone in the thread that thinks Sir Alex is not a great manager.

Struth won more than Ferguson at Man Utd, but Ferguson has won more club trophies than Struth with all the clubs he's managed.

Although Ferguson has had more trophies to aim for, Struth for the majority of his time only had the League and Scottish Cup, until the league cup came about in his later years.

Think that you are wrong and Struth has won the most trophies.

"The Greatest Manager In The History Of British Football"

RANGERS old boy, Sir Alex Ferguson, officially announced his end-of-season retirement from the Manchester United hot seat yesterday, following the worldwide twitter rumour the following evening, created by the Daily Telegraph.

SIR ALEX has been in charge at Old Trafford for 1498 games - and will bow out on 1500 once this season is complete - and has an incredible 2 Champions' League titles, a European Cup Winners' Cup, a Club World Cup, a European Super Cup, an Intercontinental Cup, 13 Premiership titles, 5 FA Cups, 4 League Cups and 10 Charity Sheilds to his name.

It was a media frenzy for the rest of the day and all the world wanted to talk about was Ferguson. Sky Sports News, in particular, dedicated the whole day to Sir Alex, including the rush to find out who will replace him - be it hot-favourite Moyes, or Mourinho.

However, it was on Sky Sports News, where I was consistently told by various presenters, that Sir Alex Ferguson is "the greatest manager in the history of British football".

I have always had a huge admiration for Sir Alex - I grew up in a part of Lancashire where you were United, or you were Liverpool. Rangers were of course my love from as early as I can remember, but from the age of eight, and due to the influence of all my pals at school, I became a United boy as well - which lasted until I was around 18!

It was hard not to fall in love with them. They had just started a period of dominance in the 90s with a team full of superstars, many of whom I adored; Schmeichel, Bruce, Pallister, Irwin, Gary Neville, Giggs, Sharpe, Kanchelskis, Cantona, Ince, Hughes and Cole - to name a few!

Not only that, Sir Alex was known to visit my small village on a regular basis, visiting a United old boy - one whose name escapes me now. I was once even lucky enough to see a quick flash of the man himself, as he raced out of the village in his big, black Mercedes!

So, my appreciation and praise for this British footballing legend is great, without doubt.

However, I still cannot accept what the vast majority of the media were telling me yesterday. I cannot accept that Sir Alex Ferguson is "the greatest manager in the history of British football".

Including his domestic silverware won in Scotland, he has won 16 major league titles, a minor league title, 14 major Cups and 10 minor Cups, over a 39 year period.

For the sake of my argument, I am not going to include his European trophy haul - which may come across as ridiculous to some of you - but I cannot make a fair comparison between Sir Alex, and the man, who in my opinion, is the greatest manager in the history of British football.

Of course, I am talking about Bill Struth.

The greatest ever Rangers manager won 18 league titles, 7 war-time league titles, 10 Scottish Cups, 2 Scottish League Cups (a competition only founded in 1949, five years before Struth stepped down as manager), 18 Glasgow Cups and 20 Glasgow Mercant and Charity Cups.

To summarise that in terms of major and minor domestic silverware, as I did above for Sir Alex, that is 18 major league titles, 7 minor league titles, 12 major cups and 38 minor cups, over a 34 year period.

Based only on that in which is underlined above, anyone can see that Struth has the greater record. It is those records above, which in my opinion, prove that Struth is "the greatest manager in the history of British football".

So why didn't I include Ferguson's European trophy haul? Obviously, because the inaugural European Cup did not take place until 1955 - the year after Bill Struth stepped aside, to be replaced by Scot Symon.

Can you imagine how many European Cups Struth's teams would have won had the competition existed during his tenure?!

Of course, we can only speculate, which is why Ferguson's European record should not be considered when trying to determine who is "the greatest manager in the history of British football".

Perhaps the mainstream media should acclaim Sir Alex as "the greatest manager in the history of British football, since the foundation of mainstream European competition".

Too long? Probably. More accurate? Definitely.

I know how great he is and I am not writing this to talk down, nor negate, the managerial achievements of Sir Alex Ferguson - this isn't 'Scotland Tonight', which last night wished to discuss whether or not Sir Alex was just a bully! How embarrassing.

Rangers themselves were very quick to salute the achievements of their former player, and rightly so. The man is a British football legend and I am very proud in the knowledge that he once wore a light blue shirt.

If you read the Rangers tribute, you will note that they did not make the same mistake as Sky Sports News and many others - the club know who "the greatest manager in the history of British football" is.

Congratulations on an incredible career Sir Alex, and I wish you all the very best for a long, healthy and happy retirement.

You truly are the greatest manager in the hitory of British football, since the formation of mainstream European competition.