Question about players we will sign on pre-contracts and pre-season etc

I know they are officially not Rangers players until Sept 1st even if they were to sign a contract tomorrow.

I also assume that come the 1st Sept, they will also get backdated any wages etc from the period they signed their contract. After-all, it's not their fault we have a transfer embargo and can't register them until 1st Sept.

What I'm wondering though, can they take part in any pre-season games? I "think" each player can play 3 times as a trialist in pre-season or friendly matches ... is this correct?

Also, I assume there's nothing to stop them training every day like a normal player with the rest of them until 1st Sept comes too?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought if we backdated wages to before September 1st it could be claimed they were not "free" on that date and therefore not eligible to be registered until the January window.

I would much prefer not to give anyone an excuse to whinge to the SFA about it because you never know how they would interpret it.

No, they won't get wages back dated. They are still under employment by other clubs and are still being paid their wages according to the contract they are under.

When/if they sign a contract with us, it will begin the day after their contract ends with their current club and they will be paid by us from there on in as per the contract. If the start date of that contract is 1st September then that's when they will be paid from. It will most likely be for the day after their current contract expires, though.

Also, to play as a trialist I'm sure they must be registered for the game as a "trialist" and, as we cannot register players of any sort, we cannot do this as we would have throughout the season.

Yes, they can play 3 games each as trialists iirc. Anyone signed up over the summer will take part in pre-season training from Day1 and will also be paid from that time.

Are we 100% certain about this. As I understood it the only people who can be registered outside a transfer window are those who are not under contract at that date. I cannot believe we will be stupid enough to pay them before that and risk somebody ruling they were contracted to us due to these payments.

SFL rules that a club can field up to 2 unregistered players. There is also a similar rule for the Ramsdens Cup which would apply to Us before the 1st September. Ally will need to rotate but we will see the new signings feature, unregistered, before the September deadline.

Are we 100% certain about this. As I understood it the only people who can be registered outside a transfer window are those who are not under contract at that date. I cannot believe we will be stupid enough to pay them before that and risk somebody ruling they were contracted to us due to these payments.

I am certain.

RE wages, We are Rangers, we will pay the new players from the Day they start training, regardless of when their current contracts expire.

SFL rules that a club can field up to 2 unregistered players. There is also a similar rule for the Ramsdens Cup which would apply to Us before the 1st September. Ally will need to rotate but we will see the new signings feature, unregistered, before the September deadline.

Did not realise this. Good to know.

Their wages won't be backdated FFS. We can sign who we want and we'll pay them straight away. We just can't register them to play in competitive matches until 1st/Sep. Other than that everything's exactly the same. If we can get away with playing them as a trialist before the emargo ends then that's a bonus IMO.

Their wages won't be backdated FFS. We can sign who we want and we'll pay them straight away. We just can't register them to play in competitive matches until 1st/Sep. Other than that everything's exactly the same. If we can get away with playing them as a trialist before the emargo ends then that's a bonus IMO.

Would it not have to be two separate contracts then ... the first contract as an employee (so they can get paid), then come Sept 1st they get registered as a player - or maybe just an updated contract rather than second contract?

Would it not have to be two separate contracts then ... the first contract as an employee (so they can get paid), then come Sept 1st they get registered as a player - or maybe just an updated contract rather than second contract?

Are you taking the piss? Consider your prime target Kris Boyd signs a 3K/week contract from 1st July. He gets paid 3K/wk from 1st July. This remains throughout his contract and then he gets a further 60K for the 30 goals he bags throughout the season ;)

Are you taking the piss? Consider your prime target Kris Boyd signs a 3K/week contract from 1st July. He gets paid 3K/wk from 1st July. This remains throughout his contract and then he gets a further 60K for the 30 goals he bags throughout the season ;)

I'm not taking the piss at all. It's a simple question.

I'm only asking because I was reading an interview with McCoist the other day and he hinted at maybe having to back date the players their wages (the interview was from months ago mind you) .... and since some people were so certain there's no need to back date the money I'm wondering how that set up works ....

There's a lot of conflicting answers in here ...

Sorry, i think I know what you are getting at. It'll essentially be a retrospective filing of paperwork, come September 1st, for the SFA in registering Players that technically had to be called trialists, for official purposes, in the short-term. They will inform the SFA they are registering Player A from 1st July for example (including side-letters)

Sorry, i think I know what you are getting at. It'll essentially be a retrospective filing of paperwork, come September 1st, for the SFA in registering Players that technically had to be called trialists, for official purposes, in the short-term. They will inform the SFA they are registering Player A from 1st July for example (including side-letters)

Aye spot on, that's indeed all I was getting at.

I'm not taking the piss at all. It's a simple question.

I'm only asking because I was reading an interview with McCoist the other day and he hinted at maybe having to back date the players their wages (the interview was from months ago mind you) .... and since some people were so certain there's no need to back date the money I'm wondering how that set up works ....

There's a lot of conflicting answers in here ...

Some folk just talk shite m8 :mutley:

At the risk of sending you into meltdown though, I thought the embargo meant we couldn't register new players until Sept 1st with the SFA? so why would they do it from July 1st, if that's not possible?

We cant register them. We do not need to register them to play them as trialists under SFL and Ramsdens Cup rules.

I only say July 1st as I'd personally keep it all open and above board in terms of when we start paying them. Is it frowned upon to reward a trialist or a player who trains with the club with a salary. We will play our new signings albeit a couple at a time for a couple of times, and they will IMO be paid from Day 1.