*** The Official Ashes 2013 Thread ***

If Australia take a wicket or two tonight, Clarke's decision to bat on is a master stroke, if Cook and Root both survive, it'll be questioned.

Well at least he takes a risk, unlike boring Cook. I think Cook's conservative captaincy will see him out of the job sooner rather than later.

The English bowling to Harris was woeful and embarrassing today, and his batting is now gone. If Cook has another dry Ashes down under, he may well wish to give it up, preferably to Anderson.

Well at least he takes a risk, unlike boring Cook. I think Cook's conservative captaincy will see him out of the job sooner rather than later.

The English bowling to Harris was woeful and embarrassing today, and his batting is now gone. If Cook has another dry Ashes down under, he may well wish to give it up, preferably to Anderson.

Cook was awful today.

Clueless.

I think Anderson would be great, but they'll end up giving it to Prior :anguish::lol:.

Cook was awful today.

Clueless.

I think Anderson would be great, but they'll end up giving it to Prior :anguish::lol:.

Ironically, KP, despite his dreadful people management was a decent tactical captain.

Whoever got it couldn't have done worse than Cook has this series. I mean literally you could have done worse, but Cook has simply done what a 12 year old club cricketer or a casual fan would have done.

Poor field settings (only two slips, possibly even one, for Siddle in the first over this morning!!), let alone the innovative fields Vaughan was known for, he didn't use either of his spinners until about three hours into the day, and there's no particular direction over the course of the day.

Yes, Strauss was conservative but at least when he won the toss you knew England would aim to bat for about 160 overs/get 550 or so by tea on day 2, declare and bowl them out twice. England don't even look capable of that kind of determined gameplan under Cook, in not insignificant part because he's failing to lead from the front with his own batting. Unlike with Strauss, when we lose the toss I now pray for rain.

I read something recently that most England captains of the recent past - probably Atherton, Hussain, Stewart and others - had a really good first series as captain, as Cook did in India, but after that the honeymoon ends and their batting deteriorates. Unless Cook has another big series in Aus, as I said previously, he will go the way of the others. Rather than the next Tendulkar, he'll be trying to keep his average above 42.

At least he's in close contact with two previous Essex leaders in Flower and Gooch, and I hope they can arrest the decline.

England have probably done enough to secure the draw now, yesterday was fucking shocking, the second time England have batted for a draw in their first innings in this series.

Andy Flower will apparently be replaced by Ashley Giles after the winter Ashes, so a). wish the changeover could happen sooner and b). hopefully we'll see some fresh and winning thinking.

Andy Flower will apparently be replaced by Ashley Giles after the winter Ashes, so a). wish the changeover could happen sooner and b). hopefully we'll see some fresh and winning thinking.

Good.

I understood this attitude in the third test when they were securing the series, but now it's just being wanky.

With Cook in charge?

No chance.

They'll block and leave their way to a draw.

Really have become a boring side to watch recently

Anything under 250 and I would want my team to have a go at it! 4-0 would really be a gubbing