Trialists before the embargo ends

I know the embargo doesn't end, and therefore we can't 'sign' any players before Sept 1st.

I'm also aware that there is a 'loophole' allowing us to play trialist before then, but what are the exact rules?

I think it's 2 or 3 trialists per match, with each trialist only allowed to make a certain number of appearances before officially signing on Sept 1st.

I'm assuming that Cammy Bell will play as many matches as allowed right up to the limit, so that will take up one of our 'trialist' slots most weeks, out of the other new players who do we really need in the team most?

I assume Smith won't feature much as we already have Wallace.

Foster may well start whenever possible, I assume he will be 1st choice RB next season.

I would love to see Law, but we could play until Sept 1st with MacLeod, Black, Hutton etc in there so including him might be a waste of one of the trialist slots.

Peralta, I really don't know enough about to comment.

Which leaves Daly and/or Clark OR will we just start the season with Jig and Andy Little up front?

Only McCoist knows really - but I hope he uses the slots wisely.

Obviously Bell is a defo ... I'd be looking at using Nicky Clark and Nicky Law ... as we have Mitchell and Wallace at full back slots so that takes care of Foster and Smith ... don't mind playing a month or so with this rotten central defence ... but we really need to sign some good center halfs

If/when we sign a new centre half I would assume that both he and Bell will play most weeks/as many games as allowed, so if we are only allowed 2 trialists per match then they would take up the two slots.

Is the rule limiting number of trialists on the pitch or in the matchday squad, basically could we have other trialists as subs as long as they replaced another trialist?

I've got an awful feeling we could end up making a right mess of this depending on if their is any leeway within the rules as written for differing interpretations.

Bell might not start the campaign as he's injured his knee. If he has to miss some games, better to miss the first ones and make sure of his fitness first.

I'm sure Ally and his assistants will be on top of who to play against who in the run up to the signing date, and we'll still do well in that period.

Just don't get put out a cup FFS.

Are trialists allowed in the league cup? A big away tie might prove difficult in that case.

I'm pretty certain that I read somewhere that trialists are allowed to play in any/all matches.

I did a wee google search at lunchtime, there doesn't appear to be an 'official' SPFL rulebook online anywhere but found an article which states that....

"clubs outwith the top division to field 2 trialists in each league game. Each trialist can play a maximum of three SPFL games."

Trialists will be allowed to play 3 games in the SPFL but only two may be named in the squad at a time.

Trialists are only allowed to play in the first round of the league cup.

I havent seen the Ramsdens rules but, I'm guessing that they would be no better than the league cup.

Each competition has separate rules and cup games would not count towards the SPFL total.

So any trialist, say Cammy Bell, could potentially play 5 matches in total before Sep 1st?

3 SPFL + 1 League Cup + 1 Ramsden Cup.

imo the stand-out issue for us with all this is that we will have to play 'Gallacher' in goals in 2nd round of League cup, possibly against SPL opposition.

We should be able to cope without any of the other trialists, but have the luxury of including one in every matchday squad (assuming Bell is 2nd trialist).

So any trialist, say Cammy Bell, could potentially play 5 matches in total before Sep 1st?

imo the stand-out issue for us with all this is that we will have to play 'Gallacher' in goals in 2nd round of League cup, possibly against SPL opposition.

We should be able to cope without any of the other trialists, but have the luxury of including one in every matchday squad (assuming Bell is 2nd trialist).

Peralta can't take part as a trialist in league cause he needs international clearance to do so

Is this due to his nationality or the nationality of his last club, if the latter would this also rule out Steven smith? (I'm assuming his last club was the US one but maybe not)

Is this due to his nationality or the nationality of his last club, if the latter would this also rule out Steven smith? (I'm assuming his last club was the US one but maybe not)

Not if he's Scottish, won't need clearance to work in this country I wouldn't think?

Foster and smith shouldnt have to play . Peralta cant . Imo bell should be kept for the cup games incase we get q tricky away tie . Clark should be played early doors in league games and ramsdens cup to try and get him to hit the ground running . Daly kept for cups W should have enough fire power then in the cups with . Daly little . Jig, templeton . Law should be uses sparingly to have him available for any potential away trip in the cup . A new defender also kept for the cups . Were not gonna lose the league during the trialist period but we could find ourselves out a cup . Keep the bigger players for that .

McDowell has stated that we are looking to sign another keeper, I would presume that the new signing would be played in the first round, allowing Cammy to play in the second.

McDowell has stated that we are looking to sign another keeper, I would presume that the new signing would be played in the first round, allowing Cammy to play in the second.

Trialists can't play in the second round.