Walter what is he up to clearing the way for the return of Green ?

bawsburst

WALTER SMITH last night admitted he doesn’t have the business brain to take Rangers to the next level.

Smith, who made history by becoming the first person for 140 years to manage the club and then be appointed chairman, insists he doesn’t want the job long-term.

He insists he doesn’t have the financial nous to do the job properly and is only there to sort out the infighting that has blighted the board.

Smith said: “There’s a level of finance we need to find to progress and I’m not suited to that kind of work.

“I’m not conversant with business or legal matters and that’s why I can’t be a long-term appointment as chairman.

“My focus of attention is getting this club back to the days when the talk was about the team on the park and not who does what in the boardroom. That’s my goal.

“We’ve made huge strides as a club and now we have to find a level of finance to go even further.

“And I’m under no illusions about the kind of contribution I have to make at this time.”

Meanwhile, the Ibrox club last night confirmed they have reached a mutual agreement with Fran Sandaza to terminate his contract.

The Spanaird was dismissed by Rangers after he discussed his contract terms in a hoax call with the caller posing as an agent.

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/football/football-news/chairman-walter-smith-dont-business-2064533

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Few things from this article..............at last all the fans that shouted Walter is a business man as he had companies.........yes you can be the money behind the pubs but that as Walter has admitted does not a businessman make.

Also just about everyone on here for the last few years(longer for some) have been screaming to have that paper out the door of Ibrox......now we have that father of the four priests wedding guests over with the team in Germany and Walter giving interviews.........what's happened to the ..........don't believe a word unless it comes for the official site!!

And to scarkev.................CG offered Walter the Chairmans post a year ago............so why have you even mentioned CG in this thread Bud?

I wish he had listed the huge strides he is talking about.............is this on the playing side or in financial strength of the Ltd Co as he has hinted that we need money fro the next step................so will they becoming to the fans again or will it be shareholders being offered more shares................the crap that has been going on I can't see any institutional investors making a move.

Well, clearly Walter may or may not feel somewhat marginalised on the board now Murray and Cartmell have left.

His appointment was always only going to be temporary so it's up to those that control the club to secure new and replacement appointments to improve the make-up of the board. Easdale has 0.55% and is now a non-exec director but we need credible people that we can all trust to be the right appointment.

Being pretty honest about his business credentials there.

Yes, it's good to see such honesty but we need real, hard-nosed business expertise more.

The appointment of Walter may or may not have been the correct one to oversee the recent issues on the board - it's vital we replace him with someone we can have no doubts about.

Yes, it's good to see such honesty but we need real, hard-nosed business expertise more.

The appointment of Walter may or may not have been the correct one to oversee the recent issues on the board - it's vital we replace him with someone we can have no doubts about.

I really feel it was mainly done to try and calm fans down with season ticket time not far away.

I really feel it was mainly done to try and calm fans down with season ticket time not far away.

Possibly. But, if that's true, then again all the more reason any future appointments are the correct one to ensure the long term viability of the business.

Possibly. But, if that's true, then again all the more reason any future appointments are the correct one to ensure the long term viability of the business.

Absolutely, and there shouldn't be an obsession with them being a fan of the club either. That should be nothing more than a potential bonus.

Some of you need to get over green....he has done his job and he won't be back....

I agree, Green came in and did what he said he'd do, get the club back on it's feet, make himself money and then leave. Once he has completed the sale of his share holding he will be off with the cash he said he would make. No doubt he'll be looking out for another club to go and do the same with in the future. He wasn't hounded out, he wasn't backstabbed, he's made his money and is on his way. Just a pity he tarnished the good work he did do with some pretty stupid statements that caught him out in the end.

I notice that some one asked why one of the posters had mentioned Green, just look at the name of the thread.

I did not read the full article, but two days ago Craig Mather said he and Walter had spent the flight time and then after they got to Germany time with Ally sorting out the way forward, which was good to hear. But now through the f*****g Record Walter tells us he is now ready to step down. To be fair he probably did say that it would not be long term, but he has only been our chairman for a few months and although most of us knew Walter did not have the financial background to do the job, this seems like more boardroom turmoil again.

I agree, Green came in and did what he said he'd do, get the club back on it's feet, make himself money and then leave. Once he has completed the sale of his share holding he will be off with the cash he said he would make. No doubt he'll be looking out for another club to go and do the same with in the future. He wasn't hounded out, he wasn't backstabbed, he's made his money and is on his way. Just a pity he tarnished the good work he did do with some pretty stupid statements that caught him out in the end.

I notice that some one asked why one of the posters had mentioned Green, just look at the name of the thread.

If as you see he's happy to walk away with his money(and have no problems with him doing that) he will most certainly not be happy re share price.

I did not read the full article, but two days ago Craig Mather said he and Walter had spent the flight time and then after they got to Germany time with Ally sorting out the way forward, which was good to hear. But now through the f*****g Record Walter tells us he is now ready to step down. To be fair he probably did say that it would not be long term, but he has only been our chairman for a few months and although most of us knew Walter did not have the financial background to do the job, this seems like more boardroom turmoil again.

Fair comment (tu)

There is no doubt now as to the longevity of Walters role as Chairman, now the doubt is in who will replace him. I had a few problems at the start of his stewardship of Rangers, Imran had quoted Walter and Ally as trying to take over Rangers without putting a penny into us, this has not happened. I wonder if Walters threatened departure is responsible for the drop in share price though.

I think it's obvious now the relationship that is building between Mathers and Ally will help carry us forward through the coming season and next, the big test will be the Spfl and winning entry to Europe. I hope Ally is there to lead us in that first game.

With his comments about more finance being needed, it wouldn't surprise me if certain factions are pushing for a new share issue at some point next season.

That's a complicated thing to organise, so Walter will want to step back at that point.

Finally, even Walter himself says he has no place being anything more than a token in the boardroom.

Green won't be back, unfortunately, so time to get used to knowing nothing, until we are in the shit again. Where are all the moves by the boardroom to get us external investment? Where are all the cuts to balance the influx of players?

Its worrying times when a member of the board holds his hands up and says he doesn't know the business.