Th Best Away Keeper For Banter

Rangers Lady

Hugh Sproat of Ayr United by a mile.

In the 70s we had to play Ayr away and if we won the game we'd virtually won the league.

We won the game 5-0. I was stood behind the goal we were attacking 2nd half. By that time we were well ahead. Sproat was in his usually green against us. (He did the blue kit against cellik). We were singing "We are the champions" the whole second half and he was singing along, and conducting us most of the time. When Ayr gave the ball away he'd turn round and wave his hands in mock exacerbation at us, smiling. After the fifth he turned to us and indicated with a gesture it was time for a pint.

A real character, not so many around these days, especially on the park.

Remember this as if it was yesterday as you say "We are the Champions" to the tune of Mary Hopkins song "Those were the days" went on the whole second half at Somerset Park and we finally clinched the title at Easter Road, stopping their ten in a row. Great Days Jock Wallace manager "what would he make of this sh#te that is happenning to our club now by "Rangers Men"

I'll add another note of support for the mental-as-anything Hugh Sproat at Ayr on the day we horsed them 5-0 back in the '70's.

We were to be the last supporters to enjoy true freedom to sing, stand, smoke and drink without fear at the fitba.

Halcyon days.

Davie Wylie at Morton during a 3-3 (?) Scottish cup tie at Cappielow in the mid 80s - he took absolute pelters and snowballs off his bonce for the whole 45 mins with a smile on his face. Well, maybe not a smile, but fair play all the same.

*my tv debut as well- my wee legs over the Dublin End wall on Scotsport. :thumbup:

I was at that game, thank fuck for the legend that is dougie robertson :7325:

Hugh Sproat of Ayr United by a mile.

In the 70s we had to play Ayr away and if we won the game we'd virtually won the league.

We won the game 5-0. I was stood behind the goal we were attacking 2nd half. By that time we were well ahead. Sproat was in his usually green against us. (He did the blue kit against cellik). We were singing "We are the champions" the whole second half and he was singing along, and conducting us most of the time. When Ayr gave the ball away he'd turn round and wave his hands in mock exacerbation at us, smiling. After the fifth he turned to us and indicated with a gesture it was time for a pint.

A real character, not so many around these days, especially on the park.

David Templetons faither may have played alongside Sproat.