New PC

smartypants

Aye.

CPU: £100-150

GPU: £200-250 (could possibly go lower if you're not fussed about maxing games)

Mobo: £60

HDD: £50

RAM: £50

PSU: £50

DVD drive: £10

Case: £30-£60

Optional:

SSD drive: £80

Legit copy of Windows 7: £70

1080p monitor £90

A quality brand name Power Supply Unit is paramount.. you can pick up a cheap one but you run the risk of frying your computer...

A case you can be flexible with.. but the more you can invest the better case you will get. Aside from build quality the size is important.. some GPU's are massive and won't fit in small-medium cases. You also need to think about airflow in the case.. you don't want everything squished together like a tin of sardines. That would mean air can't circulate which will result in your components overheating.

From scratch you'll be looking around £700. This set up will allow you to max most games at 60fps/1080p..

am I right in saying an initial outlay won't be recurring? Like if I spend big to start off I only need to "top up" over the years when my equipment becomes more outdated?

am I right in saying an initial outlay won't be recurring? Like if I spend big to start off I only need to "top up" over the years when my equipment becomes more outdated?

Depends on how fussy you are.. if you're the type of person who needs to max out games then you'd be looking at upgrading every 1-2 years. If you're prepared to take a hit by lowering graphical settings or locking your frame rate then you can easily get 4+.. I know a few people a who are still quite happy gaming on PC's they built nearly 5 years ago.

You're right when it comes to upgrading, you don't need to buy a whole new system every time.. you can salvage parts from your old system which will help keep costs down. On top of that there's a huge market for pre-owned hardware on Ebay.. So if you're smart about the way you do things, upgrades don't have to cost the earth! Like anything it's all about knowing when to buy and sell..

My PC is around 2 years old and it's still kicking on strong.. still close to maxing recent releases. However if i wanted to max games again, all i need to buy is a new GPU.. The rest of my PC is still more than capable of keeping up.

Another thing.. Think of it as a PC and games console in one...

Normal PC + Xbox one = around £829

A gaming PC that's more powerful than the Xbox one = around £700

Plus the amount of money you save on game purchases is hugely significant.. At the time of release PC games are usually around £10 cheaper than their console counterparts. So if you buy 1 game a month, that's at least £120 saved every year. On top of this PC games tend to decrease in value at a faster rate, so if you can wait a month or 2 you'll save a fortune!

Depends on how fussy you are.. if you're the type of person who needs to max out games then you'd be looking at upgrading every 1-2 years. If you're prepared to take a hit by lowering graphical settings or locking your frame rate then you can easily get 4+.. I know a few people a who are still quite happy gaming on PC's they built nearly 5 years ago.

You're right when it comes to upgrading, you don't need to buy a whole new system every time.. you can salvage parts from your old system which will help keep costs down. On top of that there's a huge market for pre-owned hardware on Ebay.. So if you're smart about the way you do things, upgrades don't have to cost the earth! Like anything it's all about knowing when to buy and sell..

My PC is around 2 years old and it's still kicking on strong.. still close to maxing recent releases. However if i wanted to max games again, all i need to buy is a new GPU.. The rest of my PC is still more than capable of keeping up.

Another thing.. Think of it as a PC and games console in one...

Normal PC + Xbox one = around £829

A gaming PC that's more powerful than the Xbox one = around £700

Plus the amount of money you save on game purchases is hugely significant.. At the time of release PC games are usually around £10 cheaper than their console counterparts. So if you buy 1 game a month, that's at least £120 saved every year. On top of this PC games tend to decrease in value at a faster rate, so if you can wait a month or 2 you'll save a fortune!

I'm thinking about taking the hit. My laptop broke before I went on holiday this year and I was close to buying a new one last month. Think I'll just wait it out and go for a PC though when I get the chance, definitely seems like a better investment than a PS4 or Xbox One.

Cheers man.

• 4 weeks later...

Out of the first 2 that I linked..

http://www.ebuyer.co...pc-m11bb-eu001s

http://www.ebuyer.co...op-dt-sp5ek-018

I'd personally go with the Asus.

It's cheaper, it has more RAM, and it has a better integrated graphics chip(it will take some pressure of your RAM and CPU). Which CPU is truly better is up for debate as they excel in different areas different areas, but to be honest it's not something you're going to really notice.

I went for the Asus mate, great bit of kit.

Night and day compared to my 7 year old Dell. Thanks again (tu)

Aye.

CPU: £100-150

GPU: £200-250 (could possibly go lower if you're not fussed about maxing games)

Mobo: £60

HDD: £50

RAM: £50

PSU: £50

DVD drive: £10

Case: £30-£60

Optional:

SSD drive: £80

Legit copy of Windows 7: £70

1080p monitor £90

A quality brand name Power Supply Unit is paramount.. you can pick up a cheap one but you run the risk of frying your computer...

A case you can be flexible with.. but the more you can invest the better case you will get. Aside from build quality the size is important.. some GPU's are massive and won't fit in small-medium cases. You also need to think about airflow in the case.. you don't want everything squished together like a tin of sardines. That would mean air can't circulate which will result in your components overheating.

From scratch you'll be looking around £700. This set up will allow you to max most games at 60fps/1080p..

Some the of cheaper PSU's that are built by Seasonic but rebranded would do fine.

There are a series of Corsair PSUs that are priced as low end but are built by Seasonic,