Underrated European victories

Tumshie

One that sticks out for me was when we beat Monaco 1-0 away in the Champions League. Tugay was absolutely immense playing as a sweeper and Gio scored a cracker from the outside of the box,

We should have got through that Champions League group without any problem.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Parma game was an outstanding result. OK, Cannavaro got sent off but still a fantastic scalp.

Aye, he got sent off because Mols had absolutely roasted him for the entire first half and he had no answer but to foul him!

One that stood out for me was in Advocaat's first year, we beat Leverkusen home & away. Pretty sure they were going quite well in Bundesliga at the time, had players like Ballack, Ze Roberto, Kovac and to be honest any victory in Germany can generally be considered a decent achievement.

I remember watching the second leg on German TV while listening to radio. The radio commentary was a second or so ahead of TV pictures so the commentators announced Johansson goal before he hit the shot! It was a sort of stuttered celebration as you were not sure whether to go crazy until you actually see the goal!!

I always thought the draw we got in Marseille never really got the credit it deserved because it wasn't enough in the end to qualify for the final. It was still a fantastic result against probably the best team I've seen us play.

Another was knocking out that PSG team on penalties.

Aye, he got sent off because Mols had absolutely roasted him for the entire first half and he had no answer but to foul him!

One that stood out for me was in Advocaat's first year, we beat Leverkusen home & away. Pretty sure they were going quite well in Bundesliga at the time, had players like Ballack, Ze Roberto, Kovac and to be honest any victory in Germany can generally be considered a decent achievement.

I remember watching the second leg on German TV while listening to radio. The radio commentary was a second or so ahead of TV pictures so the commentators announced Johansson goal before he hit the shot! It was a sort of stuttered celebration as you were not sure whether to go crazy until you actually see the goal!!

A young Ferguson was outstanding if i remember?

I always thought the draw we got in Marseille never really got the credit it deserved because it wasn't enough in the end to qualify for the final. It was still a fantastic result against probably the best team I've seen us play.

Another was knocking out that PSG team on penalties.

A PSG with a certain Ronaldinho

PSV 0 Gers 1 - Albertz

PSV had built a decent reputation especially at home, and we only had 1 point from our opening 2 games. Going over there and winning was some achievement then hammering them at Ibrox was even better. (tu)

I drove to Eindhoven for that game. Brilliant trip (tu)

PS - to this day i still believe if Mols hadnt got injured in Munich, we would have went through and onto better things. (tu)

Two for me in the same season - Juventus and Einhoven in 1978-9.

If I member right Juventus had 8 players that were with Italy in the World Cup a few months previously . Players like Zoff , Bettega , Cabrini , Tardelli , Causio , Scirea and Bennetti. Think they got to semis but do know they beat hosts and eventual winners Argentina in group stages. And to beat them in the European Cup was special.

PSV also had a few that got to the final with Holland including Van Der Kerkoff brothers and Brandts. After drawing 0-0 at Ibrox , Rangers winning 3-2 in Eindhoven is still my favourite away win.

We also gave Cologne a run for their money in the Quarter Finals before going down 2-1 on aggregate.

All the more special because in those years it was the champions of these countries we were beating , and not like now when you can have four teams from one country competing.

I was over in France working when the away leg was played. All hype about him going to rip us apart. He was pish!! :lol:

I know :lol:

The new Rivaldo back then...he was brutal.

Although to be fair he did go on to become one of the best players of our times.

Don't think that got underrated in fairness

In terms of the squad at that point, I think in fairness it is.

Look at some of the other results mentioned, achieved at times when the club should've been competitive in Europe, I also think the manner in which we played that night was brilliant.