Are our team being coached as opposed to trained?

Adoniram

What's noticeable in all your replies is a lack of substance.

Strong on rhetoric but short on substance.

I've yet to see you say why Stewart is wrong and explain in detail why he is wrong.

Your problem is you know little about football and it shows in your replies.

Oh i am just like every other fan on here - I know I would make a great manager of Rangers - I know I am better than the current team and I know I could win the champions league on a shoestring budget playing only u21 year olds, give fantastic entertainment on the park and make the clubs lots of cash while keeping prices low. The only difference is I can also separate my fantasy from the reality - many on here can't. So I'll stick to supporting - it used to be what we did. I'm old fashioned that way.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't just Michael Stewart that holds this opinion. If he was a lone voice his opinion would hold very little water.

How many times over the years have we heard over the years "what do we work on in training" and the likes. Over the last 10yrs I have seen occassional comments from pundits and ex pro's alike, talking about this or similar. I also believe it is a cultural thing at Ibrox, and will only be remedied by a clear out of the old heads, both staff and players.

A few disgruntled has been a - I have so read the articles where the scotland coaches praise the work that goes on at au henhouse, I have seem the reports where managers say how well Ally is doing under these circumstances - but the 10 or so vociferous posters on here who have a real Ally hatred do like to suppress all that stuff with there desire to brow beat other fans into submission

A few disgruntled has been a - I have so read the articles where the scotland coaches praise the work that goes on at au henhouse, I have seem the reports where managers say how well Ally is doing under these circumstances - but the 10 or so vociferous posters on here who have a real Ally hatred do like to suppress all that stuff with there desire to brow beat other fans into submission

What about the international player that has slated our training only 2 years ago, thats first hand experience there of what goes on behind the gates of auchenhowie, not someone basing an opinion from our games

Take it matt mckay's opinion is pish as well

I remember a particular pearl from Shanks who always maintained that it was a simple game, "if you keep the ball your opponent can't do anything with it".

Also Clough who opined, "if God meant football to be played in the sky he would have put grass there".

Alistair should note both.

20min 27secs Stewart mentions the "having words" issue.

That's not Stewart speaking about McCoist at that point.

That's MacIntyre pointing out McCoist wasn't happy with his comments and going on to claim that McCoist said they would have words if it continued.

Nothing to substantiate that other than the words of a BBC journo who - apparently depending on who they speak of and how they do it - are ordinarily regarded as slightly less trustworthy than snake-oil salesmen around here.

They are all extremely fit (no senior player has a body fat % over 10), as they should be for full-time players.

We have qualified coaches in the team: McCulloch completes Pro Licence this year, and Wallace, A Licence.

Personally, I don't see any evidence of players (excluding those in their teens etc) improving technically, or even coached and rehearsed tactics.

Being extremely fit is a given. Jim Henry is definitely the man for the job.

Give the coaching to Jig and Waldo for the week and I think we'd see a difference - new coaches, new ideas.

What about the international player that has slated our training only 2 years ago, thats first hand experience there of what goes on behind the gates of auchenhowie, not someone basing an opinion from our games

Take it matt mckay's opinion is pish as well

It that the disgruntled , not getting a game, McKay?

Oh i am just like every other fan on here - I know I would make a great manager of Rangers - I know I am better than the current team and I know I could win the champions league on a shoestring budget playing only u21 year olds, give fantastic entertainment on the park and make the clubs lots of cash while keeping prices low. The only difference is I can also separate my fantasy from the reality - many on here can't. So I'll stick to supporting - it used to be what we did. I'm old fashioned that way.

Rhetoric and short on substance...again.

You simply dismiss all criticisms but can't explain in detail why.

So the floor is yours...i agree with Michael Stewart and have outlined why.

So tell me why he and many others are wrong and what you see different to him.

They are all extremely fit (no senior player has a body fat % over 10), as they should be for full-time players.

We have qualified coaches in the team: McCulloch completes Pro Licence this year, and Wallace, A Licence.

Personally, I don't see any evidence of players (excluding those in their teens etc) improving technically, or even coached and rehearsed tactics.

Being extremely fit is a given. Jim Henry is definitely the man for the job.

Give the coaching to Jig and Waldo for the week and I think we'd see a difference - new coaches, new ideas.

We have been pretty creative at set pieces - one of the things folk Were praising us for - also defensively we have looked solid and some may not like the 11 back at corners but it's a valid tactic. Despite what some say we play the ball from the back with the occasional mix of the long ball. IMHO this 'lack of coaching' is just stuff and nonsense

A blind man can see we are well coached - in fact what most complain about are the tactics - not lack of them. Ally keeps it tight defensively, he plays a narrow midfield to allow his full backs to press on, ( but folk still wittier on about wingers and free flowing football) - the ball is played from the back the majority of the time and is mixed up with the occasional long ball, utilising Daly's strength - more important he wins.

Folk also moan that he can't change a game but in the last two games his substitutions have helped changed the game , including the early substitution of Macleod

We have been pretty creative at set pieces - one of the things folk Were praising us for - also defensively we have looked solid and some may not like the 11 back at corners but it's a valid tactic. Despite what some say we play the ball from the back with the occasional mix of the long ball. IMHO this 'lack of coaching' is just stuff and nonsense

It isn't nonsense.

It isn't nonsense.

Last year folk were moaning about lack of fitness - which was also nonsense.

This lack of coaching is the 'Ally Oot' attack de jour - I suppose its better than the 'body language' experts, or the 'listen to rumour and quote as fact' cabal, but its as far away from the mark as saying Ally is a poor manager becuase he wore two hats in the cold (which I have to admit was a bit gay)

What's noticeable in all your replies is a lack of substance.

Strong on rhetoric but short on substance.

I've yet to see you say why Stewart is wrong and explain in detail why he is wrong.

Your problem is you know little about football and it shows in your replies.

You will be proved correct if you look through BP9's next post

See what I mean.

It that the disgruntled , not getting a game, McKay?

What ? The Australian captain and POTY who could not get a game despite playing really well in early appearances, then being played wide left?

Do you really expect a decent response ?

OMG !

A blind man can see we are well coached - in fact what most complain about are the tactics - not lack of them. Ally keeps it tight defensively, he plays a narrow midfield to allow his full backs to press on, ( but folk still wittier on about wingers and free flowing football) - the ball is played from the back the majority of the time and is mixed up with the occasional long ball, utilising Daly's strength - more important he wins.

Folk also moan that he can't change a game but in the last two games his substitutions have helped changed the game , including the early substitution of Macleod

We do not play a narrow midfield, that is just plain rubbish.

McLeod and Aird hug the touchline, granted McLeod moves in when he gets the shout from Wallace but I think that has more to do with the 2 individual players than the coaching.

If it was coached then it would happen on both flanks.

If we played a narrow midfield then Aird and McLeod would have no problem ghosting in at the back post, which never really happens.

If we played a narrow midfield then that would allow Aird and McLeod to support and get in behind Daly, that does not happen either

Maybe they don't support because Daly actually wins were few balls in the air.

Last year folk were moaning about lack of fitness - which was also nonsense.

This lack of coaching is the 'Ally Oot' attack de jour - I suppose its better than the 'body language' experts, or the 'listen to rumour and quote as fact' cabal, but its as far away from the mark as saying Ally is a poor manager becuase he wore two hats in the cold (which I have to admit was a bit gay)

So now you don't think we fitness was lacking last year either?

Did you notice how many late goals we conceded last season, did you sleep through the games against Annan, Peterhead and Stirling Albion.

Have you noticed how slimmer players like Faure, Hutton and others look?

So now you don't think we fitness was lacking last year either?

Did you notice how many late goals we conceded last season, did you sleep through the games against Annan, Peterhead and Stirling Albion.

Have you noticed how slimmer players like Faure, Hutton and others look?

The last bit ...

Surely not - that would almost impliy they had worked hard - I thought they did not do that under this regime

You may disagree with my points - that does not mean I am wrong - on fitness I also rember us winning games late - how the hell did that happen ?

The last bit ...

Surely not - that would almost impliy they had worked hard - I thought they did not do that under this regime

You may disagree with my points - that does not mean I am wrong - on fitness I also rember us winning games late - how the hell did that happen ?

The new fitness coach obviously had an impact and they lost that weight during Pre season when the fitness coach would earn his corn.

I think it would be fair to say that never happened last season.

Maybe, just maybe, We won some games late on because we were a full time team with international players, some with CL and EL experience playing against school jannies who had just finished a 40 hour week of graft.

Or maybe it was because the resources available to us were infinitely greater than our opponents.

"Cracking a walnut with a 14lb sledge hammer"

The new fitness coach obviously had an impact and they lost that weight during Pre season when the fitness coach would earn his corn.

I think it would be fair to say that never happened last season.

Maybe, just maybe, We won some games late on because we were a full time team with international players, some with CL and EL experience playing against school jannies who had just finished a 40 hour week of graft.

Or maybe it was because the resources available to us were infinitely greater than our opponents.

"Cracking a walnut with a 14lb sledge hammer"

Jim Henry joined the club before pre season of this term. Some would say in response to the criticisms levelled at the team for looking like they were blowing out their arse late on in games.

As a result players like the ones you mentioned looked leaner and fitter as a result when they started the season.

So in fairness you could say McCoist reacted to the criticisms and agreed that the players weren't fit enough.

If he didn't agree and they were fit enough i suppose people will then say it was merely co-incidence that he joined us when he did.

An extra wage for a job that perhaps Durrant or McDowall could have learned more about?

As for the football and the style, tactics, formation etc. To me it is quite clear that the system McCoist favours does not play to the players strengths but rather it looks to me there is too much focus on the opposition.

Why the need for Law and Black in the middle of the park. The partnership looks as productive and cumbersome as the Edu/McCulloch one favoured by Smith

Up front we are far too static and play in to the hands of big solid defenders. As you say for a big lad like Daly he doesn't impose himself nearly as much as he should do for a lad his size. Just look at Hately as an example of how to bully and intimidate defenders. And he had a more than a decent turn of pace allied to his physicality.

For me this league is about putting a team out that isn't what the opposition are used to. One with more pace, mobility and creativity. Defenders hate playing against pace as is evident with how much damage Wallace does on the left.

There are players there who could be utilised much more effectively than they are is basically my point.

A point i made a few days ago is that while we have a great athletics coaching system focusing on running and stamina we dont seem to have such a great football coaching system, lack of passing, shooting and the basics plus not much tactical awareness and our players seem scared to use the ball at times. Perhaps thats what this guy means?

How's it allys fault if grown men can't pass the ball?

I think that's the point. I only heard the broadcast because I was in a mates car after the game. Despite the cr@p spouted by Spies and Tossgove I thought Michael Stewarts points were well made and without malace.