Stadium redevelopment to blame for barren period in early 80's

topgoalie

I remember it like yesterday as well. I think it might have been a Bank Holiday Monday night, I do know there was a right poisonous atmosphere in the city before it.

The game itself was weird, we looked to be in control then they came back, even at 3-2 down a goal would have been enough for us but that jump-the-dyke McLeod hit a screamer and that was it. We threw it away.

There were a lot of angry Bears after the game, and remember we took around 20,000 to that mhidden in those days. We got a train back from the old Bridgeton Central for Queen Street, by the time we got to High Street the train was completely wrecked and we all got thrown off, into the midst of thousands of celebrating tarriers coming along the Gallowgate and Duke Street. Battles all over the city that night.

You're right in saying it was a bank holiday monday evening (took the afternoon off work to travel down by train). Got back into the city centre after the game and chose some random bar and spent a couple of hours going over the game before getting the late (mail) train home, arrived home at 3.45am and sat in a chair until heading out to work at 6.30. Still hurts losing a game - league - treble with such a negative display.

You're right in saying it was a bank holiday monday evening (took the afternoon off work to travel down by train). Got back into the city centre after the game and chose some random bar and spent a couple of hours going over the game before getting the late (mail) train home, arrived home at 3.45am and sat in a chair until heading out to work at 6.30. Still hurts losing a game - league - treble with such a negative display.

That one really hurt. For me it's up (down?) there with Manchester and CSKA Moscow in 1993.

That one really hurt. For me it's up (down?) there with Manchester and CSKA Moscow in 1993.

Reaching the final in Manchester was an achievement and at least with CSKA we gave it everything but just couldn't score. In 79 we meekly surrendered to our biggest rivals when a second successive treble was at stake.

I remember it like yesterday as well. I think it might have been a Bank Holiday Monday night, I do know there was a right poisonous atmosphere in the city before it.

The game itself was weird, we looked to be in control then they came back, even at 3-2 down a goal would have been enough for us but that jump-the-dyke McLeod hit a screamer and that was it. We threw it away.

There were a lot of angry Bears after the game, and remember we took around 20,000 to that mhidden in those days. We got a train back from the old Bridgeton Central for Queen Street, by the time we got to High Street the train was completely wrecked and we all got thrown off, into the midst of thousands of celebrating tarriers coming along the Gallowgate and Duke Street. Battles all over the city that night.

I had completely erased that from my aging memory. Your vivid description brought it all flooding back. There was an evil, even more than normal, atmosphere before that game.

Post match had a wee bit of a scuffle in central station, decked a couple of tims, got chased by the old bill but was fit and fast back in the day and the cops gave up the chase. My M8 and I jumped the train home. A depressing end to a depressing day.

atmosphere suffered in the late 70s early 80s due to only having 3 stands open maybe we should have done the same as the mhanks and threw up a breeze block in a year and hire hampden for a song in the meantime

Breeezeblock boulevard....no thanks...we have a European Elite stadium to be proud off...unlike that shithole.

The league title was in the bag that evening too .The beggars just couldn't get going .We were in control until Doyle got sent off .

The two things I remember about the crowd that evening were, there was sporadic fights breaking out all over the place in their ends,the jungle and up the other end .They realised the title was slipping away from them and were battling with themselves all over the shop

The other thing was the utter bedlam after each goal . In those days when a goal was being scored ,you couldn't hear a sound for a nano second .

In that fraction of a second it was like time had stood still ...

Then the deafening sound would hit you and all you could see was mass bedlam of bodies going mental .Its nothing like that nowadays .

I had been going to many OF games before this but I have to say it was extra loud on this evening .

Don't think I've ever been as gutted after an old firm game[exception being 80 and 89 SC cup finals ] and yes we lost there many times but it was like the end of the world next day for me ... Makes you appreciate the good times and how Helicopter Sundays 1 to 4 must have gutted them :thumbup:

The league title was in the bag that evening too .The beggars just couldn't get going .We were in control until Doyle got sent off .

The two things I remember about the crowd that evening were, there was sporadic fights breaking out all over the place in their ends,the jungle and up the other end .They realised the title was slipping away from them and were battling with themselves all over the shop

The other thing was the utter bedlam after each goal . In those days when a goal was being scored ,you couldn't hear a sound for a nano second .

In that fraction of a second it was like time had stood still ...

Then the deafening sound would hit you and all you could see was mass bedlam of bodies going mental .Its nothing like that nowadays .

I had been going to many OF games before this but I have to say it was extra loud on this evening .

Don't think I've ever been as gutted after an old firm game[exception being 80 and 89 SC cup finals ] and yes we lost there many times but it was like the end of the world next day for me ... Makes you appreciate the good times and how Helicopter Sundays 1 to 4 must have gutted them :thumbup:

That brings me back mate when you comment on the "time stood still "......it was pretty surreal, you know they have scored but a second later it hits you with the noise reverbarating around the stadium.......it was like the sheer volume was lost for a second before it got to our end. .....then bam...disappointment.

• 2 weeks later...

Remembering the poor atmosphere and crowds of the late 70's and early 80's ;was mainly due to the renovations at Ibrox at the time.Older bears will remember the diggers and huge open spaces while firstly the East terracing was replaced by the Copland Road Stand 1978, Broomloan 1979,then the Centenary Stand replaced by the Govan Stand in 1981.

The original cost of 6m had risen to 10m, and depleted the club financially.The average attendance of only 17,500 in 81/82 confirmed this.I had just started going in 1978,so for older Bears,how did you take to the change at Ibrox.It always seemed to be under construction in my fledgling years of supporting the club....

Good thread idea.

Yes, it may have had an effect which allowed other clubs to overtake us, albeit temporarily.