Boab Malcolm ?

I have read the thread and feel that people are over-sensitive here. (Both sides).

On a strictly footballing opinion of B Malcolm I have to go with Frankie.

Nevertheless lets try and keep the arguments on thread and less personal, even if they were NOT INTENDED that way. (Both sides)

Really handbags all round, but too many of them for my liking.

Lets get real here - to get so hot under the collar about B Malcolm is AMAZING!!

Now if it was Buffel I would understand!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

JOKING!!!!!

Lets all CHILL OUT

You leave my poor wee Buffel out of this :(

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*peeks out from behind the door of the nuclear bunker*

is it safe to mention that while you (frankie) mentioned about BH missing a part of his 1st season through injury, that the seasons where eck was reported to say that BM was a hard player to leave out, and didn't quite make it over the 50% appearance threshold (that you consider a factor in regular category) for the two seasons in question that he may have missed out a few games through injury, i just recall him and nando ricksen being more than competant in the middle of the park with BM's passing and nandos energy and enthusiasm in chasing down the oppo.

and by the way how many players over the past 10 years could we look at and say they're no rangers class?

*away back behind the door of the bunker*

is it safe to mention that while you (frankie) mentioned about BH missing a part of his 1st season through injury, that the seasons where eck was reported to say that BM was a hard player to leave out, and didn't quite make it over the 50% appearance threshold (that you consider a factor in regular category) for the two seasons in question that he may have missed out a few games through injury, i just recall him and nando ricksen being more than competant in the middle of the park with BM's passing and nandos energy and enthusiasm in chasing down the oppo.

and by the way how many players over the past 10 years could we look at and say they're no rangers class?

Not sure if Malcolm if was badly injured in his last seasons at Ibrox - although he has been at Derby. Hemdani certainly was though in his first season - although he still started 18 times.

As I said, Malcolm had a reasonable season in 04/05 (as did Ricksen). Even then though Malcolm only started 18 times compared to Ricksen's 38 starts (every game).

The next season he only started 11 times and was very stop and start in his selection. If that was down to injury then fine but I can't recollect that and can only remember that season as being one of our worst ever (not soley due to Malcolm obviously).

He was then freed by PLG because he obviously thought he had better options in Hemdani, Ferguson and Clement (2 of whom were signed by Eck as our first choice centre midfielders). Even allowing for PLG's poor performance at Rangers, I think we can safely say all 3 are better players than Malcolm and the big man - although arguably under-rated by many fans, was always a deputy player rather than a first XI regular.

Not sure if Malcolm if was badly injured in his last seasons at Ibrox - although he has been at Derby.

Which could explain his lack of appearances? Ankle injury, and he was on crutches.

Hemdani certainly was though in his first season - although he still started 18 times.

As I said, Malcolm had a reasonable season in 04/05 (as did Ricksen). Even then though Malcolm only started 18 times compared to Ricksen's 38 starts (every game).

Here's a puzzler; if it takes 10 appearances to be given the SPL medal, as JAB got, surely that defines a regular?

The next season he only started 11 times and was very stop and start in his selection. If that was down to injury then fine but I can't recollect that and can only remember that season as being one of our worst ever (not soley due to Malcolm obviously).

That was the abysmal season where Ricksen and Hartson won the POTY award jointly.

He was then freed by PLG because he obviously thought he had better options in Hemdani, Ferguson and Clement (2 of whom were signed by Eck as our first choice centre midfielders). Even allowing for PLG's poor performance at Rangers, I think we can safely say all 3 are better players than Malcolm and the big man - although arguably under-rated by many fans, was always a deputy player rather than a first XI regular.

Possibly, but nowadays we seem to have a new one in Charlie Adam. Cracking left boot, and amazing free kicks - replacing, imo, Boab's excellent distribution. But neither player is/was all that impressive outside of it, albeit, imo Boab was improving. Hopefully Adam will too.

Indeed. It was a decent partnership with both players as good foils - albeit not one of our greatest ever.

Engage the thermal padlock.

Which could explain his lack of appearances? Ankle injury, and he was on crutches.

Here's a puzzler; if it takes 10 appearances to be given the SPL medal, as JAB got, surely that defines a regular?

That was the abysmal season where Ricksen and Hartson won the POTY award jointly.

Possibly, but nowadays we seem to have a new one in Charlie Adam. Cracking left boot, and amazing free kicks - replacing, imo, Boab's excellent distribution. But neither player is/was all that impressive outside of it, albeit, imo Boab was improving. Hopefully Adam will too.

I thought you weren't coming back into this thread...? :D

1. His ankle injury was in the early part of the season. He then got back into the team but was dropped again in February after making a few starts and a few sub appearances. He was signed by Davies as a back-up player - that's what he is and that's what he was at Rangers.

2. Define it all you like, Malcolm was not a first XI regular. Ricksen was that year. As was Andrews, Novo and Prso. Malcolm was a bit part player. Mo Ross played 14 games that season and I wouldn't consider him a first XI regular either. Yes, he would play when called upon but he was never first choice. Same goes for Malcolm - they were squad players.

3. Where did I say 04/05 was an abysmal season - I was referring to the following season where we won nothing and had our worst ever run of results.

4. How could Malcolm have been improving when he played less games in 05/06, while a manager bought another player to play ahead of him? Usually, if a player is improving they play more games and are not allowed to leave a club on a free transfer.

Since you're back, are you going to answer the other questions put to you or are you going to pick and choose them?

I thought you weren't coming back into this thread...? :D

I wished to address a point or two.

1. His ankle injury was in the early part of the season. He then got back into the team but was dropped again in February after making a few starts and a few sub appearances. He was signed by Davies as a back-up player - that's what he is and that's what he was at Rangers.

2. Define it all you like, Malcolm was not a first XI regular. Ricksen was that year. As was Andrews, Novo and Prso. Malcolm was a bit part player. Mo Ross played 14 games that season and I wouldn't consider him a first XI regular either. Yes, he would play when called upon but he was never first choice. Same goes for Malcolm - they were squad players.

3. Where did I say 04/05 was an abysmal season - I was referring to the following season where we won nothing and had our worst ever run of results.

My mistake, I misread.

4. How could Malcolm have been improving when he played less games in 05/06, while a manager bought another player to play ahead of him? Usually, if a player is improving they play more games

Usually, yes, but this was the same manager who kept picking Namouchi and left Klos out in the cold in favour of Wattereus.

and are not allowed to leave a club on a free transfer.

This is defined as PLG. It's that simple.

Usually, yes, but this was the same manager who kept picking Namouchi and left Klos out in the cold in favour of Wattereus.

This is defined as PLG. It's that simple.

1. But you suggested the sound validity of McLeish's opinion as one of the main reasons for Malcolm's inclusion (and not being dropped)? At the risk of sounding like a broken record (too late!) if he was developing into a very, very good player at the peak of his game, why did he play less games than the previous year?

2. Not it's not that simple. PLG's tenure was a nightmare but some of his decisions were also pretty good. Hutton over Bardsely for one - McGregor over Letizi for another.

Want to answer any of the other questions put to you in this thread?

1. But you suggested the sound validity of McLeish's opinion as one of the main reasons for Malcolm's inclusion (and not being dropped)?

Indeed. He got a lot of things wrong - was notorious for it. But that was one of those he got, imo, right. Got a few other things right, leading to 7 trophies.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (too late!) if he was developing into a very, very good player at the peak of his game, why did he play less games than the previous year?

Emergence of Hemdani. As you say, Boab had 11 starts, then when Hemdani showed up, Boab ended up on the bench and Hemdani played out the season. IIRC.

2. Not it's not that simple. PLG's tenure was a nightmare but some of his decisions were also pretty good. Hutton over Bardsely for one - McGregor over Letizi for another.

But he chose Letizi - such as on his return into the ICT game. He practically bowed to fan pressure in giving the keeper jersey back to AM eventually.

Furthermore, the Hutton and Bardsley thing is wrong too. Bardsley took Hutton's place, and only a fall out between him and PLG gave the RB slot back to Hutton.

As for your last question, I have lost track entirely of what all the questions you wanted ask me were.

Indeed. He got a lot of things wrong - was notorious for it. But that was one of those he got, imo, right. Got a few other things right, leading to 7 trophies.

Emergence of Hemdani. As you say, Boab had 11 starts, then when Hemdani showed up, Boab ended up on the bench and Hemdani played out the season. IIRC.

But he chose Letizi - such as on his return into the ICT game. He practically bowed to fan pressure in giving the keeper jersey back to AM eventually.

Furthermore, the Hutton and Bardsley thing is wrong too. Bardsley took Hutton's place, and only a fall out between him and PLG gave the RB slot back to Hutton.

As for your last question, I have lost track entirely of what all the questions you wanted ask me were.

1. Yes, he did get a lot of things wrong and a lot of things right. But you are saying he didn't drop Malcolm and rated him highly. Now you are saying he dropped him for some unknown reason the following year. Which is it? It can't be both surely?

2. Yes, so you are agreeing Bob was dropped then. You suggested Eck wouldn't do that earlier. Why would a player at the peak of his career be dropped? I'll tell you why - because he wasn't good enough.

3. Yes, he did choose Letizi to begin with because he had bought the guy and wanted experience between the sticks. He quickly changed his mind and I'm unsure PLG was the type of guy to allow fan pressure to change his decisions.

4. No, a fall out didn't hand Hutton the placeback. It was Bardsley's ill-discipline and average performances that did that. PLG fell out with Ferguson and Boyd - yet they kept playing.

As for other questions, well considering you havn't answered them here or by pm, then I doubt it's worth my while boring everyone again with them.

Suffice to say, you have still failed to show where I am clearly wrong about Bob Malcolm; you still can't show why if he was as good as you suggested he wasn't played; and you still haven't explained why we have to keep admin opinions private but you can make personal opinions about members public?

1. Yes, he did get a lot of things wrong and a lot of things right. But you are saying he didn't drop Malcolm and rated him highly. Now you are saying he dropped him for some unknown reason the following year. Which is it? It can't be both surely?

2. Yes, so you are agreeing Bob was dropped then. You suggested Eck wouldn't do that earlier.

Previous season. Then he signed Hemdani.

Why would a player at the peak of his career be dropped? I'll tell you why - because he wasn't good enough.

Or because he wanted to play Hemdani, the player he'd signed.

3. Yes, he did choose Letizi to begin with because he had bought the guy

Free transfer just like Hemdani. And just like Hemdani, the manager wanted to play the player he'd signed. By your logic, AM isn't good enough because PLG didn't pick him to start with.

and wanted experience between the sticks. He quickly changed his mind and I'm unsure PLG was the type of guy to allow fan pressure to change his decisions.

4. No, a fall out didn't hand Hutton the placeback. It was Bardsley's ill-discipline and average performances that did that.

So why did he play every game (barring his suspension) until the fall out?

PLG fell out with Ferguson and Boyd - yet they kept playing.

Boyd didn't feature much at all. And the fall out with Ferguson only happened in December.

As for other questions, well considering you havn't answered them here or by pm, then I doubt it's worth my while boring everyone again with them.

Suffice to say, you have still failed to show where I am clearly wrong about Bob Malcolm; you still can't show why if he was as good as you suggested he wasn't played;

I suggested you were wrong in saying he was not a regular in his last 2 seasons. 30+ appearances would suggest otherwise. I suggest his loss of place was due to the signing of Hemdani.

and you still haven't explained why we have to keep admin opinions private but you can make personal opinions about members public?

You can provide personal opinions about members if you wish - you have done in the past, as have I. But queries about staff are not suitable for public debate. No forum online appreciates members questioning the very right of administrators to hold their position. As you may have some idea of, admining a board is not easy.

Feel free to criticise my view if you like, without insulting it, but questioning my or any other staff member's position is perhaps unfair and entirely irrelevant to the debate, unless a public spat is being desired. Such criticism should be kept private.

Anyway, it is time for this thread to be put to bed. I hope I have answered your questions - and I have the utmost respect for you, and this thread in no way alters that. Any further issues, please get in touch with myself or another member of staff.

All the best *tips hat*

I have opened the thread since we seem to be getting real again and as long as reasonable attitudes prevail, it can remain open and sink into oblivion in due time.

I would NEVER have thought B Malcolm's football ability would EVER have engendered such discussion - but hey it just shows you that you never know.