Formation - Real Madrid

I think the system used by teams like Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Man City would suit Rangers the best. Four at the back, 2 holding central midfielders, 2 wingers/inside forwards and either 2 up front or 1 up front with a number 10 in behind.

Temps, McKay, Gallagher, Aird could all play the winger/inside forward role. Most of our attacking players/forwards could play the number 10 role, as could the likes of Law. It's not too disimilar to the old fashioned 4-4-2, the forward 4 players can also interchange, just feel this would suit the players we have at the moment.

And aye I know we'll still have Ally as manager, but need to do the best with the current players/management we have until things change.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only do i not think we should play with 2 holding midfield players, I dont think we have any that can do the job even if I wanted to.

I think its obvious we need to link our midfield to our forward line and I would prefer to see a more diamond-shaped line up in the midfield - 2 holding players is too cautious and doesn't suit the squad we have

I agree. You'll probably get a lot of replies pointing out we don't have Ronaldo Bale and James.... but the system is probably the strongest in football right now. We tried it last season but Ally has no clue how to play it, wingers were way to deep.

Need the 3 to interchange, rotate a lot and stay close to the striker (Aird/Gallagher, McKay, Templeton could do this pretty well imo) someone to sit and play simple passes to keep possesion ticking over (probably Black when he was actually a good player) and a versatile , more gifted midfielder to dictate tempo and get forward (Macleod) We'll need a new right back (similar to Wallace) and a more solid defence as well.

Most of all though to do it we'll need a tactician that will actually play the formation right , and not as a flat 4411

Not only do i not think we should play with 2 holding midfield players, I dont think we have any that can do the job even if I wanted to.

I think its obvious we need to link our midfield to our forward line and I would prefer to see a more diamond-shaped line up in the midfield - 2 holding players is too cautious and doesn't suit the squad we have

Maybe 'holding' was the wrong word but it's just two solid central midfield players. Black and MacLeod could do that job if you wanted to push Law further forward. Toure performs this job at Man City and also gets forward, Kroos and Modric for Real Madrid.

I agree. You'll probably get a lot of replies pointing out we don't have Ronaldo Bale and James.... but the system is probably the strongest in football right now. We tried it last season but Ally has no clue how to play it, wingers were way to deep.

Need the 3 to interchange, rotate a lot and stay close to the striker. someone to sit and play simple passes to keep possesion ticking over (probably Black when he was actually a good player) and a versatile , more gifted midfielder to dictate tempo and get forward. We'll need a new right back and a more solid defence as well.

Most of all though to do it we'll need a tactician that will actually play the formation right , and not as a flat 4411

That's always the role I think Black is best suited to. He's never been this holding player who breaks play up in the way that he is perceived.

I remember in the Scottish Cup final when they hammered Hibs Black was outstanding in a team where Barr was the one holding, Black knitted play together and Skacel played off the front man/bombed forward.

They also had two proper wingers (Suso & Driver) for him to spread the play to and I think that helped a lot too because he bossed it.

The formation works because of the temp at which Madrid play. They have two midfielders who can dictate the play and are comfortable in possession, when it comes to the defensive side they harry players into mistakes and quickly turn defence into attack.

Their defence is always on the front foot, looking to get the ball back asap and not sitting off the man. I just don't think we have the defence to be on the front foot ( too slow, drop off to avoid being done for pace).

Try and get the 4-4-2 formation working first!

Holding mids in this shitey league baffles me...

Holding mids help retain possession and boss the midfield when it is the right player. Rangers fans are just too used to Lee McCulloch playing in there that they've forgotten what the right player brings to the role.

PLG isn't some big missed opportunity to revolutionise the club IMO.

He had some good ideas, ideas which are pretty common place at most clubs throughout Europe, but his arrogance played as big a part in his failure as any player revolt did and he showed no signs of ever learning from those mistakes.

The quality of players may have ever such a slight bearing on their systems.

Some junior teams play this formation too. It was just a high profile example that people would know. Even if we played the old 4-4-2 with two natural fast wingers/wide players instead of playing central players out wide. Some feel the 4-4-2 is now too rigid a system in the modern game.

Some junior teams play this formation too. It was just a high profile example that people would know. Even if we played the old 4-4-2 with two natural fast wingers/wide players instead of playing central players out wide. Some feel the 4-4-2 is now too rigid a system in the modern game.

Any system is only as good as the players who are to utilise it and their ability, we are punt it merchants nothing less nothing more.

Until the perpetrator of defcon 1 is stood down and removed from active service, he our very own Napoleon will continue with the same tactics and formation.

It probably is, basically because football is a faster and more athletic sport now, and players are also a lot more versatile. 4-4-2 possibly is, as you say, too rigid.

Holding mids help retain possession and boss the midfield when it is the right player. Rangers fans are just too used to Lee McCulloch playing in there that they've forgotten what the right player brings to the role.

We should be able to boss a midfield with a basic flat 4 mid.

Without somebody anchoring the midfield and plugging gaps teams would just soak up pressure and then hit us on the break.

There needs to be some balance in the team, regardless of how poor the opposition we are playing are.

Other teams can do it with a basic flat 4 mid, why can;t we?