How long can football last?

GTMLivo

With money pretty much running football now how long will it before once great teams such as ourself can no longer compete at the top level...

It's all about who can spend 100+ million on players now and it's narrowing it down to a few times that will dominate

I would say its at that stage already now.

The last 16 of the Champions League is made up of near enough the same teams year after year.

Not to mention the amount of money that the owners of PSG and Man City have thrown at them to do next to nothing in the Champions League either.

football authorities, and clubs operate alot on debts, loans and overdrafts (as we well know too well) and although football has been booming for the last 10-15 years with money , like an economy this is going to come to an end or hit an unfortunate snag at some point and the result could be catastrophic for some clubs particularly in the English League or major European Leagues where their is just ludicrous amounts of Money and debt flying about. the sad/good thing is it could either result in the game self imploding or be the turn around it needs to bring smaller nations such as us, Portugal , Holland etcand our main clubs back into footballing contention as it will no doubt result on a complete overhaul of the game and finacial regulations most associations and clubs will have to adhere to. This is how I think it will go at some point within the next 50 years.

then again I could be mumbling utter shite :pipe:

The point where clubs like ours could compete at the top level has come and gone many years ago. The real one to watch out for in the future is the collapse of the EPL due to unsustainable levels of debt. The fact is the EPL has now reached a point where the returns on the pitch are no longer matching the amounts of cash being thrown at the teams. When an entire league operates in that way sooner or later it will result in clubs going under, when this happens the appeal for the product on TV will drop and the rest will go down like a trail of dominoes due to being unable to service their debts.

The problem they have is that they are locked in to this course, if they start to cut back and pay of the debt revenue will fall, if the revenue falls they have to have more cuts and the cycle will bringing about the same end game with cubs going bust, have they past the point of no return? I'd have to say yes, and that it's only a matter of time. The good news for teams like ours is that is if we can keep debt to a minimum we will in the long term capitalise on others miss-management and become competitive in Europe again.

The point where clubs like ours could compete at the top level has come and gone many years ago. The real one to watch out for in the future is the collapse of the EPL due to unsustainable levels of debt. The fact is the EPL has now reached a point where the returns on the pitch are no longer matching the amounts of cash being thrown at the teams. When an entire league operates in that way sooner or later it will result in clubs going under, when this happens the appeal for the product on TV will drop and the rest will go down like a trail of dominoes due to being unable to service their debts.

The problem they have is that they are locked in to this course, if they start to cut back and pay of the deb revenue will fall, if the revenue fall they have to have more cuts and the cycle will bringing about the same end game with cubs going bust, have they past the point of no return? Id have to say yes, and that it's only a matter of time. The good news for teams like ours is that is if we can keep debt to a minimum we will in the long term capitalise on others miss-management and become competitive in Europe again.

good post (tu)

this is more or less the point I was trying to make , however you explained it far better than me. the amount of debt in English football alone is staggering never mind bringing in figures from European football aswell.

cr3_bear "the amount of debt in English football alone is staggering never mind bringing in figures from European football as well."

Totally agree, if you watch SSN on the last day of the transfer window it's like a competition to see who can spend the most. I get the feeling that certain clubs are signing players just to stop other clubs getting them, now they are talking about spending millions to sign 15 year old prospects. Possibly the saddest thing is that there are now players who will happily sign a big money deal well knowing they probably won't get played. Personally I feel the Champions League has played a major part in the problems faced by football these days. Too much cash gong to a very small group of clubs who are still willing to go into debt to stay there. Just look at Real Madrid and Barrca, even the clubs who have a single backer face major problems if they get bored and decide to move on to something new.