Why should McCoist stay?

TAFKA

its fucking hilarious to see fans defend ally (to an extent) by claiming that he has

got us successive promotions

undefeated in league last season

undefeated away from home in 2 years of league games

achieved the minimum asked of him

cup games dont count as they are one off single games

Ally got a 7million quid first team wage budget in a league containing teams that werent even paying their fucking players, allys 2 years, with said wage budget, has been full of beating part timers and the odd bigger team, but ultimately failing at the essentials like actually building a team, implementing his own tactical knowledge etc

the fact that dundee united came to ibrox last season with a defence far younger than ours, infact a team that is far younger than ours, and not only gave it a go, but they actually dumped us out the cup on our arses

or on to this season, shall we have a look at the age of the hibs and hearts teams that have visited ibrox this season and again dumped us on our arses

pick any half decent team, full time ones to be precise, that we have played, and have a look at the games, the line ups that both sides used and the results, and see just how far away from a decent side ally has turned us into over the last 2 years

I think most of us recognise Ally's shortcomings, and that he is not the answer as manager, but it's pretty churlish not to acknowledge any of his team's achievements over the last two years.

I have some sympathy for Ally in that many of the fans not only want to judge him on his team's performance and results but also the age of his team. That is different from any of his predecessors. On this aspect maybe we need to aim our criticism at our youth policy/ programme over the last decade rather than the present manager. From what I have seen over the last two years, we have at best 4-5 young prospects who could possibly make it at first team level. You can hardly blame the manager for not playing young players who are just not good enough for the step up and who would be roundly slaughtered by the fans. The Rangers support has many great qualities, showing any understanding or tolerance for a young player struggling to find his feet in the first team is not one of them.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should I bother? And why are those who claim to be massively in the majority so desperate to knock off the rest of us? Why does having me agree with you matter so much?

(tu) we are all entitled to our OWN opinions mate.

I also think he made a rod for his own back with his we don't do walking away speech, or he might have walked already.

I think this , more than anything , is why he's not given up.

And I can understand that because the press , as well as others , would have a field day , and as much as I think it's time for him to go , I really wouldn't want him going through any of that kind of stuff.

In a strange way , I think a sacking is probably best here , for everyone . Assuming , of course , the financial side of things are waived.

Rebuilding a team, taking us two steps back towards our goal, unbeaten in the league last year and 2 years undefeated away from home - saved our league titles when the wolves were howling, worked and kept faith with us through 4-5 regime changes, worked under a transfer embargoe and at the start of the season the vast majority said if he won the league he deserves to stay - but the panic merchants and long term Ally haters only know how to moan instead of backing the man.

Btw the thread took less than 1 page for the baws ayers to come out inn force.

I think most of us recognise Ally's shortcomings, and that he is not the answer as manager, but it's pretty churlish not to acknowledge any of his team's achievements over the last two years.

I have some sympathy for Ally in that many of the fans not only want to judge him on his team's performance and results but also the age of his team. That is different from any of his predecessors. On this aspect maybe we need to aim our criticism at our youth policy/ programme over the last decade rather than the present manager. From what I have seen over the last two years, we have at best 4-5 young prospects who could possibly make it at first team level. You can hardly blame the manager for not playing young players who are just not good enough for the step up and who would be roundly slaughtered by the fans. The Rangers support has many great qualities, showing any understanding or tolerance for a young player struggling to find his feet in the first team is not one of them.

walters last game in charge

Rangers

• 01 McGregor aged 29
  • 03 Weir age 41
  • 05 Papac age 31
  • 16 Whittaker age 27
  • 24 Bougherra age 29
  • 39 Wylde age 20
  • 07 Edu age 25
  • 08 Davis age 26
  • 11 Lafferty age 24
  • 14 Naismith age 25
  • 18 Jelavic age 26

that was smiths starting line up when we cuffed killie in 7 minutes, only 2 players over the age of 30, and an average age of 27 and a half, bumped up by Sir David of Weir being 41, our average age when we played hibs at Ibrox last week was 29, now given Walter was going for the SPL title, competing in Europe that season and tasked with beating the tarriers, how is it that he feels experience wasnt worth as much as Ally does when he is seemingly only tasked with gaining promotion against teams spending so little against us

Rangers

• 01 McGregor aged 29
  • 03 Weir age 41
  • 05 Papac age 31
  • 16 Whittaker age 27
  • 24 Bougherra age 29
  • 39 Wylde age 20
  • 07 Edu age 25
  • 08 Davis age 26
  • 11 Lafferty age 24
  • 14 Naismith age 25
  • 18 Jelavic age 26

that was smiths starting line up when we cuffed killie in 7 minutes, only 2 players over the age of 30, and an average age of 27 and a half, bumped up by Sir David of Weir being 41, our average age when we played hibs at Ibrox last week was 29, now given Walter was going for the SPL title, competing in Europe that season and tasked with beating the tarriers, how is it that he feels experience wasnt worth as much as Ally does when he is seemingly only tasked with gaining promotion against teams spending so little against us

Age has absolutely fuck all to do with anything, a total red-herring.

Anyone that wants him to stay isn't a proper rangers fan and their loyalties lie to Alistair more than the club itself. Simple as that

Where did you get the credentials to say what a true fan is? I was supporting Rangers before Ally owned his first fitba. I have followed Rangers through good times and bad, this is the worst it's been, but I am still there supporting the club I love, don't tell me ah'm no' a true fan because ah don't go alang wi your pish. 47 years following the Rangers gives me the right to say we are the people, sing follow follow and they are not meaningless words. People who boycott, abuse manager, players and fans of the club, well they are usually called Jungle Jim's.

Age has absolutely fuck all to do with anything, a total red-herring.

this is part of the quote i replied to

I have some sympathy for Ally in that many of the fans not only want to judge him on his team's performance and results but also the age of his team. That is different from any of his predecessors. On this aspect maybe we need to aim our criticism at our youth policy/ programme over the last decade rather than the present manager

so im saying why should we go back a decade when Walters team was younger, could probably check PLG's team and Eck's team and they would be younger as well, and all 3 managers were tasked with achieving a lot more against better opposition

this is part of the quote i replied to

so im saying why should we go back a decade when Walters team was younger, could probably check PLG's team and Eck's team and they would be younger as well, and all 3 managers were tasked with achieving a lot more against better opposition

Fair do's, but I can totally understand the desire to go for available, reliable experienced heads when you have one major objective and no real means to source young potential nor have the normal freedoms to develop them as you'd like.

Rangers

• 01 McGregor aged 29
  • 03 Weir age 41
  • 05 Papac age 31
  • 16 Whittaker age 27
  • 24 Bougherra age 29
  • 39 Wylde age 20
  • 07 Edu age 25
  • 08 Davis age 26
  • 11 Lafferty age 24
  • 14 Naismith age 25
  • 18 Jelavic age 26

The point I'm was trying to make is a lot of fans are condemning Ally for not relying more on younger players coming through from our youth teams. Like most fans, I like nothing better than seeing good young players coming through from our youth ranks and I also would have liked Ally to give more youngsters an opportunity particularly last season. However, I am realistic enough to realise that we we only have a handful of young players in our ranks that will make the grade, certainly no where enough to battle back to the top division without some experienced help.

Walters team that you give proves my point on this. Only two players came through our youth programme, one of these taking to his late 20s to get into the first team. Most of the rest cost us substantial transfer fees, an option that, apart from Templeton, Ally has not used (I presume because we don't have the money to do it). Advocaat was the same, apart from Barrie Ferguson and Craig Moore (again in his late 20s). Le Guen was even worse, he would rather play ManU youngsters in front of our own.

the OP asked why should McCoist stay, and asked for opinions from people on here that feel he should be retained. granted I have not read all the posts but the gist of the posts are full of the usual comments from the usual people telling us all why he should go etc etc.

I like to think that I take a more pragmatic look at things...

McCoist is a club legend, all are in agreement about this - while his scoring exploits are held in high regard by most on here I feel that some of the younger generation don't know why he is a legendary figure for us, all they see is the current situation. Being a club great has bought him more time than someone like Paul Le Guen and rightly so. however I feel that PLG could have been given a bit longer to see if his vision would have come to fruition, but thats besides the point. Having such a strong link to the club gives you only so much time before you have to stop trading off past victories and start performing. there has been some really good performances by the players during McCoist time as manager just as there have been some rank rotten ones. The 4-2 games against the pervs after the administration was announced and the Motherwell cup game are the 2 first ones that spring to mind, as does the Challenge cup final and the capitulations to both Hearts and Hibs. McCoist's remit has only ever been to get the club back to the top division as soon as possible and so far he has fulfilled his role. performances have been more miss than hit, some of the tactics have been baffling to say the least as have been some the team choices. saying that the players are all professionals and should be able to play together as a team and change things on the park without having to take direction from the track side.

We all know that McCoist has had an unprecedented set of circumstances foisted upon him, that no other Rangers manager has ever had to cope with and adapt too, he has also had the unprecedented opportunity to rebuild a younger team. yes some young players have come through but why did we have to bring in players like Kevin Kyle and Sandaza when we could have brought through the cream of the youth players.

everyone is free to draw their own conclusions about McCoist just as I have stated on here that he should fall on his own sword. that being said I would argue that he should be given this season, win the title, gain promotion via a playoff or staying in the championship his contract should terminated "by mutual consent" - the way he stood by the club during the administration and the liquidation and run ins with the SFA should afford him his last season, but no mistake about it this must be his final season as our manager, one way or another. Who should we bring in as his replacement? I would argue that Alex McLeish could take the job and get this stuttering and under performing side to gel and do the basic things that they should be doing as a matter of course.

He may not turn out to be the world's best football manager but, with the carnage going on in the Boardroom, it is important that we at least have somebody on the inside who cares about the club.

Oh, and we can't afford to terminate his contract just now.

:lol:

the OP asked why should McCoist stay, and asked for opinions from people on here that feel he should be retained. granted I have not read all the posts but the gist of the posts are full of the usual comments from the usual people telling us all why he should go etc etc.

I like to think that I take a more pragmatic look at things...

McCoist is a club legend, all are in agreement about this - while his scoring exploits are held in high regard by most on here I feel that some of the younger generation don't know why he is a legendary figure for us, all they see is the current situation. Being a club great has bought him more time than someone like Paul Le Guen and rightly so. however I feel that PLG could have been given a bit longer to see if his vision would have come to fruition, but thats besides the point. Having such a strong link to the club gives you only so much time before you have to stop trading off past victories and start performing. there has been some really good performances by the players during McCoist time as manager just as there have been some rank rotten ones. The 4-2 games against the pervs after the administration was announced and the Motherwell cup game are the 2 first ones that spring to mind, as does the Challenge cup final and the capitulations to both Hearts and Hibs. McCoist's remit has only ever been to get the club back to the top division as soon as possible and so far he has fulfilled his role. performances have been more miss than hit, some of the tactics have been baffling to say the least as have been some the team choices. saying that the players are all professionals and should be able to play together as a team and change things on the park without having to take direction from the track side.

We all know that McCoist has had an unprecedented set of circumstances foisted upon him, that no other Rangers manager has ever had to cope with and adapt too, he has also had the unprecedented opportunity to rebuild a younger team. yes some young players have come through but why did we have to bring in players like Kevin Kyle and Sandaza when we could have brought through the cream of the youth players.

everyone is free to draw their own conclusions about McCoist just as I have stated on here that he should fall on his own sword. that being said I would argue that he should be given this season, win the title, gain promotion via a playoff or staying in the championship his contract should terminated "by mutual consent" - the way he stood by the club during the administration and the liquidation and run ins with the SFA should afford him his last season, but no mistake about it this must be his final season as our manager, one way or another. Who should we bring in as his replacement? I would argue that Alex McLeish could take the job and get this stuttering and under performing side to gel and do the basic things that they should be doing as a matter of course.

no thanks