mccoists replacement

bomber

The point is, that barring financial meltdown, at the end of this season, we should have won the championship, probably the Getofack Training Wheels Cup and possibly one or both of the other cups.

I don't think Hearts will have the fuel in the tank to hold us off for the rest of the season.

If Ally gets us to the Premiership without any huge messups then it would surely be impossible to get rid of him because he would have won three consecutive lower league titles and would have won the Premier in his first season if the club hadn't collapsed around him. The morale hit the ground when the reality that the club wasn't going to be able to hold out financially. I think initially the players probably expected a bailout of some kind to carry the club though their problems either through a new owner or business deal. Clubs like Rangers normally don't crash and burn when they're on their way to their fourth consecutive title.

If we doesn't win the Championship and we only go up via the playoffs, or god forbid, don't get promoted then I think Ally is toast.

He probably isn't what we need in the long run as his tactical knowledge is limited and the guy doesn't have a great knowledge of players outside the obvious ex-Rangers and Scottish Premiership database.

A new manager would be dependent on where we are and how much money is in the bank. If some sort of takeover or investment deal can be worked out before next season then obviously there would be more sense in bringing in a manager from abroad or someone with wider experience of the game.

If we're going to be a Premiership team running on a shoestring budget, then if Ally wasn't there we'd probably be better going for a manager from Scotland, possibly with experience of managing in England or at least a consistant Scottish Premiership resume.

In all honesty, my cheap budget option would be McCall or Butcher. Motherwell have been stinking recently and McCall will probably get the boot if things continue as they have been. His longer term career has been brighter though. Butcher did quite well with a couple of teams but tends to move on to 'bigger' teams and then nosedives with them. The reason for that is that he has tended to build smaller teams and then goes to a bigger team who are in a bad way and it is more difficult to draw a bigger side with more primadonnas together than it is to mould a team with 11 'Joe Nobodies' in it.

As for more expensive options, it really depends on how things are. If we went up as champions, had a cash investment, won the Scottish Cup, were in the Europa League (I'm not even sure if we'd be allowed to play next season because of the inept accounting system at Ibrox as we need to have three years of accounts and this should have been our last year being banned from European competition) and things were fairly settled financially, then we could probably pick from the same kind of manager pool that middle to bottom English Premier League teams could pick from, including a few other Scottish options.

If we were in the Premiership, had a more settled financial situation (but maybe not a full takeover or big investment) and weren't in Europe, we'd probably have a situation where it was former Rangers guys and guys from the Scottish league and the lower English leagues who would be options. The likes of McCall, Butcher and McInnes would be the likely candidates.

If we make it to the Premiership without any financial improvement, we would probably have to keep Ally unless he quit and even at that point it would probably be a few ex Rangers guys who would be the main options and it would be likely to be a guy who left another team and wasn't under contract.

As for the nightmare option of being stuck in the Championship, Ally would almost certainly get sacked or get forced out. The money wouldn't be coming in and it would maybe even be a stretch to get the likes of a McInnes or a McCall in that situation. It might end up we could end up with someone like Ian Durrant or Kenny McDowell as manager or even some crazy option like Lee McCulloch.

Then there is the almost unthinkable notion of us going into meltdown again and ending up in a lower division or even the Lowland League. I think even Ally's patience would go with that and he'd be gone. We'd have to rely on whatever coaches were left if we even had a club. I don't think this will happen but the other three are staring us in the face.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is, that barring financial meltdown, at the end of this season, we should have won the championship, probably the Getofack Training Wheels Cup and possibly one or both of the other cups.

I don't think Hearts will have the fuel in the tank to hold us off for the rest of the season.

If Ally gets us to the Premiership without any huge messups then it would surely be impossible to get rid of him because he would have won three consecutive lower league titles and would have won the Premier in his first season if the club hadn't collapsed around him. The morale hit the ground when the reality that the club wasn't going to be able to hold out financially. I think initially the players probably expected a bailout of some kind to carry the club though their problems either through a new owner or business deal. Clubs like Rangers normally don't crash and burn when they're on their way to their fourth consecutive title.

If we doesn't win the Championship and we only go up via the playoffs, or god forbid, don't get promoted then I think Ally is toast.

He probably isn't what we need in the long run as his tactical knowledge is limited and the guy doesn't have a great knowledge of players outside the obvious ex-Rangers and Scottish Premiership database.

A new manager would be dependent on where we are and how much money is in the bank. If some sort of takeover or investment deal can be worked out before next season then obviously there would be more sense in bringing in a manager from abroad or someone with wider experience of the game.

If we're going to be a Premiership team running on a shoestring budget, then if Ally wasn't there we'd probably be better going for a manager from Scotland, possibly with experience of managing in England or at least a consistant Scottish Premiership resume.

In all honesty, my cheap budget option would be McCall or Butcher. Motherwell have been stinking recently and McCall will probably get the boot if things continue as they have been. His longer term career has been brighter though. Butcher did quite well with a couple of teams but tends to move on to 'bigger' teams and then nosedives with them. The reason for that is that he has tended to build smaller teams and then goes to a bigger team who are in a bad way and it is more difficult to draw a bigger side with more primadonnas together than it is to mould a team with 11 'Joe Nobodies' in it.

As for more expensive options, it really depends on how things are. If we went up as champions, had a cash investment, won the Scottish Cup, were in the Europa League (I'm not even sure if we'd be allowed to play next season because of the inept accounting system at Ibrox as we need to have three years of accounts and this should have been our last year being banned from European competition) and things were fairly settled financially, then we could probably pick from the same kind of manager pool that middle to bottom English Premier League teams could pick from, including a few other Scottish options.

If we were in the Premiership, had a more settled financial situation (but maybe not a full takeover or big investment) and weren't in Europe, we'd probably have a situation where it was former Rangers guys and guys from the Scottish league and the lower English leagues who would be options. The likes of McCall, Butcher and McInnes would be the likely candidates.

If we make it to the Premiership without any financial improvement, we would probably have to keep Ally unless he quit and even at that point it would probably be a few ex Rangers guys who would be the main options and it would be likely to be a guy who left another team and wasn't under contract.

As for the nightmare option of being stuck in the Championship, Ally would almost certainly get sacked or get forced out. The money wouldn't be coming in and it would maybe even be a stretch to get the likes of a McInnes or a McCall in that situation. It might end up we could end up with someone like Ian Durrant or Kenny McDowell as manager or even some crazy option like Lee McCulloch.

Then there is the almost unthinkable notion of us going into meltdown again and ending up in a lower division or even the Lowland League. I think even Ally's patience would go with that and he'd be gone. We'd have to rely on whatever coaches were left if we even had a club. I don't think this will happen but the other three are staring us in the face.

Reach for the stars eh!!

I agree with this gist of this. I reckon McCall would be a good shout for us. Seems like he's reached the end of the road with Motherwell, who have been punching above their weight for ages. McCall has done enough to show he can build (and rebuild) a squad. He gets good levels of fight out of his team and to be honest the change would probably do him good as much as anything else.

McInnes I'm not sure about. His record is quite up and down. Wouldn't go near Butcher. Far too hit or miss.

We have to be realistic. Bigger names than these are simply not on the cards. I saw a guy this week saying he wanted AVB! Incredible lack of awareness as to where we are if he was being serious.

Only thing I don't agree with you on is that I'm not sure it's as sure a thing that Hearts will fold. Who are the teams who are going to take all these points off them? They're humping teams left, right and centre. Apart from against us and Hibs I don't see them dropping many points. And us and Hibs are likely to take some more off each other too.