Ian Cathro Linked With Rangers Job

In his own words:

Sounds promosing then although the state we are in financially and on the pitch it might be too soon for us to be attractive to him.

I suppose it all depends on us getting promoted which is going to be a tough task and of course the boardroom issue that's plauged us for years to finally settle down.

Many factors to consider but we can only try I suppose.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be a Hearts-type model we're shooting for with a Director of Football working with a Head Coach at the top.

I thought along similar lines. I would worry the suggestion we appoint an experienced number 2 would only serve to dilute and hinder the radical change we would be hoping Cathro would bring. An experienced/respected figure could help in terms of managing the media and the fans. Essentially someone to do the positive side of what Coisty has done in the last few years (please God a lot less chaos). If he did lose a couple of unexpected games or there was nonsense about players being unhappy then someone like Walter making clear everyone in the club backed him and that fans understood this is a long term project reflecting the fact football has moved on and so must Rangers would hopefully help cut the pressure put on him by inevitable tabloid hysteria.

Heartening to see the vast majority prepared to take a risk of this kind. I concur that in a manager v players scenario most would be backing the guy insisting on double training and behaving in a professional manner!

I thought along similar lines. I would worry the suggestion we appoint an experienced number 2 would only serve to dilute and hinder the radical change we would be hoping Cathro would bring. An experienced/respected figure could help in terms of managing the media and the fans. Essentially someone to do the positive side of what Coisty has done in the last few years (please God a lot less chaos). If he did lose a couple of unexpected games or there was nonsense about players being unhappy then someone like Walter making clear everyone in the club backed him and that fans understood this is a long term project reflecting the fact football has moved on and so must Rangers would hopefully help cut the pressure put on him by inevitable tabloid hysteria.

Heartening to see the vast majority prepared to take a risk of this kind. I concur that in a manager v players scenario most would be backing the guy insisting on double training and behaving in a professional manner!

Yeah. Not too many fans would back the players like they did in 2006 against Paul le Guen, if a revolt was to take place.

Mind you, PLG was a different situation altogether. His signings were woeful and we were out of the title race at Christmas. He had no respect for the captaincy either.

Yeah. Not too many fans would back the players like they did in 2006 against Paul le Guen, if a revolt was to take place.

Mind you, PLG was a different situation altogether. His signings were woeful and we were out of the title race at Christmas. He had no respect for the captaincy either.

A PLG situation would only end in the fans backing the Manager.

The players are hardly held in the same regard and that's being kind.

I think that is only true if results are also comign in and that was ultimately PLG's downfall as he lost the dressing room and didn't get the fans support because we were losing too many games.

I woudl love to see us totall overhaul our approach to the game and he could be the very man to do it. I just fear with our very fickle and instantly demanding support he might not get the time to put his plan in place.

Howeevr, now may well be the time we can actually tolerate not winning as much and allowign for a rebuilding period

I think that is only true if results are also comign in and that was ultimately PLG's downfall as he lost the dressing room and didn't get the fans support because we were losing too many games.

I woudl love to see us totall overhaul our approach to the game and he could be the very man to do it. I just fear with our very fickle and instantly demanding support he might not get the time to put his plan in place.

Howeevr, now may well be the time we can actually tolerate not winning as much and allowign for a rebuilding period

I think we're definitely at the right 'tolerance' stage. If we saw a similar effect like HIVs have had, huge improvements in some games but consistency issues, we would probably be supportive. I can't speak for everyone but I do think the majority would be happy as long as we saw an improvement of style in play and an improved side (youths, correct positions etc).

We need a DOF, preferably german or dutch IMO.

We also need proper coaches, at every level. No more jobs for the boys.

If we could pull this off, who knows where we could be in 10 years time if this guy gets in and manages to stamp his authority on the club from every level.

I think we're definitely at the right 'tolerance' stage. If we saw a similar effect like HIVs have had, huge improvements in some games but consistency issues, we would probably be supportive. I can't speak for everyone but I do think the majority would be happy as long as we saw an improvement of style in play and an improved side (youths, correct positions etc).

I'd like to hope so too