The Chattering Classes

Virtuoso

Point excellently made.

Well said.

The Chattering Classes

Written by: kw14ultra
Tuesday, 24th February 2015

A few years back I watched an episode of the BBC TV series "Who do you think you are?" The program takes a celebrity on a journey through his or her past tracing their family history, indicating the events that led to and supported their existence. In this particular episode, David Tennant, the Scottish actor who was playing Doctor Who at the time, was taken to his grandparent’s home in Northern Ireland. David’s grandfather was an Orangeman, and as part of the program he was presented by his grandfather’s sash by his second cousin. By the look on his face it was clear to see his displeasure, and later Tennant is quoted as saying:

“When Harry handed me my grandfather's orange sash, I felt that I had been handed a turd. To me, the Orange Order represents everything that is obnoxious in society. I have always associated Orangemen with right wing racism and sectarianism".

Also by his own admission Tennant is a hand wringing, Guardian reading liberal. Tennant is not alone, his likes can be found scattered across the chattering classes in Scotland. They are aloof to their history; they take for granted the sacrifices made by others but reap the benefits of their forebears who fought for civil and religious liberty. Their rights and freedoms have been handed to them on a plate now they pour scorn on those whose integrity; ethics, determination and steadfastness placed them in such a privileged position.

It has long been the want of a Presbyterian to question, but those born of the presbytery now don’t bother with questioning, they actually pontificate, they tell people they are wrong, well because…. they’re right. They are aloof to their arrogance.

Football is all about rivalries. It is a working class game and reflects the social and economic conditions of its surroundings. History, tradition, rivalry and comradeship are the things, which bind the sport together. It is the people’s game and was borne of the people. There are songs sung which are meant to ridicule, rile, embarrass and hurt the opposition; it is the nature of the crowd. Some people understand this, others don’t. It appears that there are some fueled by social media and their own egos that seek to tell Rangers supporters what they can and cannot sing, what they deem acceptable. One even suggested that supporters could be in trouble for what they think! Now I firmly believe these people are entitled to their opinion, in fact their right to their opinion is enshrined in the very rights and liberties that others provided them, those others they now treat like the turd Tennant thought he had been handed.

A recent blogger has suggested that there is no place in today’s society for singing No Pope of Rome, his reasoning, Catholics have played for Rangers and they may be upset. Really? All the misery, abuse and crimes committed by the Roman Catholic Church on its own members, and people are going to be upset by a song, a song sung at a football match, a song sung, as the majority of songs sung at football matches are, to upset, ridicule and goad the opposition.

With all the turmoil surrounding Rangers in recent years, we have bloggers who choose to target the very people who are the lifeblood of the club and appease those who would happily see it dead. I truly despair. The handbags and the glad rags that your poor old Granddad had to sweat to buy you.

http://www.vanguardbears.co.uk/article.php?i=45&a=the-chattering-classes

It has long been the want of a Presbyterian to question, but those born of the presbytery now dont bother with questioning, they actually pontificate, they tell people they are wrong, well because. theyre right. They are aloof to their arrogance.

This is a very interesting paragraph, only to be pointed in one direction?

I've come to the conclusion that this country, Britain and Scotland are amongst the most corrupt in the world. Just because the lawmakers make it a legal doesn't mean it's right the way they go about their business.

The only way to 'get ahead' in this type of society is to conform with the under currents of corruption, and the church of Rome are pretty good at as well.

I'm fucked in this world, because I still insist on being a non-conformist. Shit, tough luck I suppose, but take one thing into consideration, do you really have an equal chance of 'making it' in a country like this.

Strange as well in all this corruption, our lawmakers don't seem to want anything to do with religion, but they still like to see it continue.

Divide and conqueur I think they call it.

He obviously had no thought of what his Grandad had to go through to wear that 'Sash'

No sense of belonging or class nor the pride of how his Grandad stood up for his beliefs.

How disingenuous of the cunt.

David Tennant is an actor ffs.

Definition of actor....smug cnuts full of their own importance.

Why does it always come back to catholics? The Catholic Church isn't playing against us in any league or cup. A Scottish Championship game against Raith Rovers isn't likely to be the kind of place where the RC church will listen or is it the type of place where songs about the misdeeds of the RC church is likely to be of much relevance to our opposition.

I remember watching that prog. I think the story was slightly different. Tennant's maternal grandmother was from Northern Ireland. Her dad was an Orangeman, he fought at the Somme and lost many friends and comrades. He returned home after the war to another conflict, this time the I-A.

Tennant's grandmother's grandfather was a councillor in Londonderry at the time of the split. He was one of the original signatories who kept the protestants in control of the council.

I remember Tennant being pissed off at this.