Andy Cameron

Domthenbud

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit before my time but Rikki Fulton appeared on a BBC programme called Quiz Ball representing Rangers,maybe some of the older Bears might remember this

The first of a new series

Glasgow Rangers v.

Tottenham Hotspur

Top Soccer teams compete in a light-hearted battle of wits with the help of their celebrity supporters

Tonioht's teams:

RANGERS

Scott Symon, former manager John Greig , player

David Smith , player

Rikki Fulton , guest supporter

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Geoffrey Jones , secretary Cliff Jones , player

James Robertson , player

Brian Moore , guest supporter

Announcer, John Witty

Refereed by David Vine

Devised by George Woolley

Questions set by BOSWELL TAYLOR

Directed by PETER MASSEY

Produced by BILL WRIGHT See page 21

Unfortunately if my memory serves me right the beasts from the east won this quiz programme. Seem to remember they had Jim Craig on their team who was a bright spark

I seem to remember an outburst at an A.G.M. in the 1980's about Rangers signing policy from Andy Cameron.

When in the 1980's?

Digressing, he sits about 8 seats away from me on matchday - not quite close enough to hear what his patter's like these days.

When in the 1980's?

Digressing, he sits about 8 seats away from me on matchday - not quite close enough to hear what his patter's like these days.

Edit - It was 1985

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19851012&id=vsJAAAAAIBAJ&sjid=36UMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3431,3077007&hl=en

Did he not try to introduce a new Rangers song for a few weeks in a row? Can't remember if it was adopted or not?

The auld yin Hector Nicol wrote anthems for Hearts, Hibs, Dundee and Dundee United... Yet apparently he was a St. Mirren fan! :huh:

I had been checking if he was a Rangers fan or not in the spirit of the thread.

WIKI: 'Nicol wrote and sang "The Hearts Song" for Hearts, and "Glory, Glory to the Hibees" for Hibs. He also wrote and sang "The Terrors of Tannadice" for Dundee United and "Dark Blue Of Dundee" for Dundee. However, he actually supported St. Mirren.'

Unfortunately if my memory serves me right the beasts from the east won this quiz programme. Seem to remember they had Jim Craig on their team who was a bright spark

Jim was a qualified dentist, who later hit the bottle, IIRC.

The newsreader Alastair Burnett was a Rangers man and quite witty. He used to read the midweek football results at the end of News at Ten. One night he read "Hibernian 2 Celtic and they must be getting used to this by now, nil". :D

The newsreader Alastair Burnett was a Rangers man and quite witty. He used to read the midweek football results at the end of News at Ten. One night he read "Hibernian 2 Celtic and they must be getting used to this by now, nil". :D

Remember reading about that, what a character :D

The auld yin Hector Nicol wrote anthems for Hearts, Hibs, Dundee and Dundee United... Yet apparently he was a St. Mirren fan! :huh:

I had been checking if he was a Rangers fan or not in the spirit of the thread.

WIKI: 'Nicol wrote and sang "The Hearts Song" for Hearts, and "Glory, Glory to the Hibees" for Hibs. He also wrote and sang "The Terrors of Tannadice" for Dundee United and "Dark Blue Of Dundee" for Dundee. However, he actually supported St. Mirren.'

Hector was a superb act, he used to drink in Speirs bar at Goldenacher in Edinburgh, he was a quiet man, I used to go in at lunchtime when I worked round the corner and he sat with his paper . His stage act was the complete opposite from the wee man at the end of the bar.

I remember watching Andy Cameron at the now defunct Stewarts @ Lloyds Social Club, Mossend before he hit the "big time"

He was the support act for a young female singer called Helen McBennett.

His act involved him wearing a Rangers/Celtic strip as his main item of stage prop and that was about as funny as his act got.

To maintain his neutrality, which would have been necessary for his future success on the Club circuit at that time, his jokes had a dig at both teams.

Yep, and no doubt where his allegiances lay. Unlike Scotland's alleged best comedian, who was apparently unsure which team he supported............What about Chic Murray, possibly the greatest Scots comedian imo,and Ricki Fulton, another great, were they bluenoses ?

Chic Murray was a comedic genius. Good to know that he was a Bluenose. I remember him as the Headie in Gregorys Girl, had goosebumps as he was the epitome of my own Headmaster at High School, the guy just oozed authority, the mass of kids

in the corridors used to part like the Red Sea as he approached.

Saw this white thing in the windae of my local bakers this morning.

I walked in and asked the assistant, 'is that a cake or a meringue?' :sherlock:

Patient : Doctor I think i have butterflies in my stomach

Doctor : What did you have for dinner

Patient ; Butterflies