Cricket

14 hours ago, ALerone said:

Daft not following on. Give the paying fans something to entertain ffs

Really daft to give the bowlers a break and demoralise the opposition further. Decision vindicated by the result. I think Joe Root was entertaining enough for the fans. The captains job is to win first and foremost.

I'd have enforced the follow on if I were Cook. At the time of the decision their hardest working bowler was Woakes who had bowled 16 overs over two days. The seamers were hardly exhausted.

Anyway, no harm no foul. Good win from England. Sad to see that hack Moeen get a few wickets though. 

Any of you followed the Windies v India test that started today? Windies 196 all out, India 104-1 with about 45 mins left in today's play. 

Ashwin and Mishra getting it to spin on Day 1, mental.

Also - nice to see Zimbabwe back in test match cricket (even though they're getting smashed by NZ). 

10 hours ago, psb07158 said:

Whilst that's true - they've only ever lost twice to Sri Lanka in test match history! 

Traditionally struggled against Pak & India but have been decent against SL & Bangladesh! 

To be fair that's a decent effort from Australia to only lose twice to Sri Lanka when you consider how many times they've had to face Murali.

1 hour ago, Creampuff said:

Holland has been called up to replace O'Keefe. 

Similar bowling style, but a reasonably big drop in quality. Australia badly need Arjun Nair to come good, they have shocking poor spin stock.

And long may it continue :D 

Looks like we've turned up again. What a magnificent innings from Sami Aslam. Threw the century / record for youngest test player to hit a century in England with the awful run out though. 

Azhar Ali showing his class. Younis Khan also looks like he's getting himself settled - would be massive for Pakistan if he hits a score here, given the awful form he has been in. 

60 runs behind, 8 wickets in hand. Pakistan should be targeting a minimum lead of 100 from here.

14 hours ago, psb07158 said:

Looks like we've turned up again. What a magnificent innings from Sami Aslam. Threw the century / record for youngest test player to hit a century in England with the awful run out though. 

Azhar Ali showing his class. Younis Khan also looks like he's getting himself settled - would be massive for Pakistan if he hits a score here, given the awful form he has been in. 

60 runs behind, 8 wickets in hand. Pakistan should be targeting a minimum lead of 100 from here.

Always disappointing to lose a wicket last ball of the day, but that's a great day's work for Pakistan. 

With England's fragile middle order and absence of a frontline spinner, a lead of 150 probably secures the match.

47 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

Always disappointing to lose a wicket last ball of the day, but that's a great day's work for Pakistan. 

With England's fragile middle order and absence of a frontline spinner, a lead of 150 probably secures the match.

Last wicket was a bit of a sickener on such a good day. Took the gloss off it a bit. 

I think, at worst, a lead of 150 gets us a draw which I'd be delighted with. We've never won at Edgbaston before in our history. We have an excellent record at the Oval so I'd be confident going into next weeks test. Still need to put the runs up today and get some partnerships going. 

Re: lack of frontline spinner, Warne mentioned this on commentary yesterday. He's of the opinion, and I'm inclined to agree with him, that there is space for both Moeen and Rashid in the team if you drop Vince and push everyone up the order. 

Just now, psb07158 said:

Last wicket was a bit of a sickener on such a good day. Took the gloss off it a bit. 

I think, at worst, a lead of 150 gets us a draw which I'd be delighted with. We've never won at Edgbaston before in our history. We have an excellent record at the Oval so I'd be confident going into next weeks test. Still need to put the runs up today and get some partnerships going. 

Re: lack of frontline spinner, Warne mentioned this on commentary yesterday. He's of the opinion, and I'm inclined to agree with him, that there is space for both Moeen and Rashid in the team if you drop Vince and push everyone up the order. 

That's probably true, but I think England like the comfort blanket that a long batting line up gives them. I also don't think it's an option when Stokes is out of the side. 

Not sure why Finn, Ballance, and Vince are there. They're clearly not the answer to England's problems.