Is Anyone Else Worried About Warburton?

MacBoyd

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 months of football management experience do not fill me with confidence, particularly as Brentford's ground, from memory, is less elaborate than my garden shed.

At least it's 18 months more than fellow "managerial hot prospect", Cathro.

I'm almost disappointed I didn't make the shortlist, myself.

Out of the names mentioned , is there anyone better ?

I've wanted to get away from the same old , same old Scottish mentality. Which leaves only Cathro or Warburton. Don't mind which.

Anyone with a decent record that's lasted longer than 18 months.

It seems he's a big favourite on here and while I will give him my full support, I can't help but feel we should be going for someone with a better track record. Anyone feel the same?

People are making a whole meal out of this track record thing.

Anyone with a decent record that's lasted longer than 18 months.

But that's not the question , fuck , I'd love Mourinho to be bored with winning the EPL , and face a challenge. But that ain't happening.

I had that worry too , but of the candidates mentioned , who do you feel would be better ?

Assuming he becomes the first-team manager, no, I'm not worried.

In my view, the lower-levels of England are very tough leagues, full of committed and hard-working players that fight hard until the final minute. Indeed, I'm of the opinion that in England, teams both train harder and play harder than they do in Scotland at this time. Wins are not given away. So, to do a good job at a smaller club there is a good achievement.

In addition, I'm interested in the kinds of players he could attract from the lower English leagues -- young, hungry players with ability and the potential to improve while at the club, while being available at prices that provide genuine value for money.

What I find interesting about Warburton is that he has the potential to succeed at a "lower level" football, but also the potential to succeed at "higher level" football when he and the club gets there.

We are at the point when we need to make an appointment with an element of risk. It brings the excitement to attract the fans.

Yes, we could pick a McCall, McLeish, McInnes but we know exactly what we are going to get. We are crying out for something different, an alternate approach. A new set of eyes and ideas.

Whether he ultimately proves a success or not is unknown, but there is huge potential there. Someone is going to give Warburton a chance, it may as well be us.

Incidentally...

David Weir drops big hint about Rangers job

David Weir has today dropped a big hint that he is imminently to be appointed Rangers assistant with Mark Warburton the manager.

A source bumped into the former Ibrox defender in Cardiff at tonight’s Wales Belgium match, and asked if Weir would indeed be taking up the Ibrox assistant position with Warburton his superior, and Weir, unable to confirm this ‘on record’, instead gave “a nod and a smile” in acknowledgement.

If this is to be fully interpreted as what it appears to be mean rather than reading between the lines, it could be the clearest indicator yet that Warburton and Weir will be announced on Monday.

With Derek McInnes signing a new two-year extension at Pittodrie (taking him up to 2019) and Vitor Pereira signing on at Fenerbahce, Warburton’s odds have reduced again from 4/5 to 1/3 and it is starting to look, finally, like maybe, just maybe the saga is coming to a close.

I like the things I've read about him re: work ethics, attacking approach etc. Everyone needs a chance to establish themselves. He is in the midst of doing that. Lets keep it in perspective, we are a first division club, no where near the big club we all used to envision. I think he is the perfect fit.

I'm less worried about him than all of the other candidates that have been linked with the job. He values young players, he plays attacking football and he's clearly intelligent. There's element of risk with every managerial appointment but appointing Warburton and Weir would be a highly positive move.

Assuming he becomes the first-team manager, no, I'm not worried.

In my view, the lower-levels of England are very tough leagues, full of committed and hard-working players that fight hard until the final minute. Indeed, I'm of the opinion that in England, teams both train harder and play harder than they do in Scotland at this time. Wins are not given away. So, to do a good job at a smaller club there is a good achievement.

In addition, I'm interested in the kinds of players he could attract from the lower English leagues -- young, hungry players with ability and the potential to improve while at the club, while being available at prices that provide genuine value for money.

What I find interesting about Warburton is that he has the potential to succeed at a "lower level" football, but also the potential to succeed at "higher level" football when he and the club gets there.

That's my way of thinking.

Everyone goes about ' names ' . There must be an abundment of players in the lower leagues in England , that none of us have heard of that will do us a turn up here , compared to the ' names ' up here.

Warburton will know of them.

We are at the point when we need to make an appointment with an element of risk. It brings the excitement to attract the fans.

Yes, we could pick a McCall, McLeish, McInnes but we know exactly what we are going to get. We are crying out for something different, an alternate approach. A new set of eyes and ideas.

Whether he ultimately proves a success or not is unknown, but there is huge potential there. Someone is going to give Warburton a chance, it may as well be us.

Yeah. Time to get out of the same mentality.

Even if successful up here , the usual ' Scottish mentality ' isn't working when it comes to Europe. Long way away , I admit , but let's start a foundation when that time comes.

TBH I am more worried if he does not come now.

Also we are kidding ourselves on if we think at the present time we are that much above an English Championship team and yes I include the scum in that analogy as well. TV monies have ruined the game just as they were predicted to.

Here is another revelation for you, the North American League is already on par with anything in Europe outside the La Liga, Serie A, Bundisliga, EPL and Ligue 1 and I will not be surprised if in 2-3 years it is knocking off some of those as well. All rooted in TV monies.