Which Wartime Titles Did Rangers Win?

kanjo

I'm trying to look through the web here for the titles we won during both wars but I cannot find them. Which titles/years did we win but are not included in our honours list?

Any help would be appreciated!

I'm trying to look through the web here for the titles we won during both wars but I cannot find them. Which titles/years did we win but are not included in our honours list?

If you mean during WWII, I thought it was all of them, Which we don't count towards our total number of titles but the tims do count the ones they won during WWI. I may be wrong though.

If you mean during WWII, I thought it was all of them, Which we don't count towards our total number of titles but the tims do count the ones they won during WWI. I may be wrong though.

You're correct. Pretty sure all in we won 9 in a row but only one or two officially counted?

We won the Emergency War league once and the Southern football league six times. Our titles don't count because the league stopped during WW2 and it didn't during WW1 (when they won theirs).

And beat them 8-1 in one of the games.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/club/history/club-history/item/508-the-war-years

WARTIME football was described as unofficial following the suspension of the Scottish League but it was a dominant period for Rangers.

Although constricted like many other clubs, they still had a fantastic team and won seven out of seven Southern League Championships.

They also won four Southeren League Cups - the predecessor to the current League Cup - they lifted the Glasgow Cup seven times and the Charity Cup six times.

There were other successes too like the Summer Cup, the Scottish Emergency War Cup in 1940 and the Victory Cup in 1946.

Of course Rangers players were involved in active service during the War and none more so than Willie Thornton who won the Military Medal for his efforts for the Army in Sicily.

Other Rangers to fight for their country were Davie Kinnear, Tom McKillop, James Galloway, Ian McPherson, Chis McNee, Eddie Rutherford, Billy Williamson, Alastair McKillop, David Marshall, Willie Paton and Jimmy Parlane (father of Derek).

The unfortunate aspect of the war years was that the careers of greats like Jerry Dawson, Dougie Gray and Jimmy Smith were effectively over when peacetime resumed.

Gray would be the all-time Rangers appearance holder but his 385 appearances during the war are unofficial. Simiarly Smith scored over 100 goals during this period but, again, they were not official.

There were some strange and wonderful results, not least Rangers 8, Celtic 1 on January 1, 1943.

Before the league was started up again, there was a special match at Ibrox in November 1945 when Moscow Dynamo came to Ibrox as part of a British tour which included matches against Arsenal, Chelsea and Cardiff City.

A massive 95,000 crowd watched the game - which was played midweek in the afternoon - with Torry Gillick and a George Young penalty securing a 2-2 with the Russians.

WORLD WAR 1

We won the title in 1917-1918 and World War 1 ended on November 11, 1918. We claimed that title as the last official competition before the war.

The War began on July 28, 1914 and the filth won 3 titles (1914-15, 1915-16, 1916-17) which they claimed.

WORLD WAR II

We won the title in 1938-39 which would be the last season before War was declared in September 3, 1939.

Season 1939-40 was abandoned after 5 games due to the war. We led the table with 9 points from the 5 games (won 4, drew 1, lost 0) from Falkirk on 8 points.

During the period between 1940-41 and 1945-46 the competitions were classed as "Special wartime football" and Rangers won the Southern League Championship (which included Celtic) on the 6 occasions it was played for. *** We never claimed any of them.

Season 1946-47 was the first competitive competition after the war which we won by 2 points from Hibs (46pts-44pts) The scum came 7th with 32 points.