Chris Woods Question

Yes, that is a fact.

Remember Chris Woods held the shut-out record at the time in Scottish football, so not many strikers did get the better of him and his defence.

Big Terry with the diving bullet header did outdo him on occasion.

Could have scored more if he hadn't had his leg broken by Big Eck!! Woods was a brilliant keeper.

Woods was a brilliant signing. It goes to show how amazing the Souness revolution was.

Imagine Warburton going out next week and signing John Terry and Joe Hart?!

Unbelievable really!!

(tu) What helped was the euro ban down south (I think?).

Yeah the Hysel disaster and subsequent ban of club sides from Europe probably did make a huge difference to our signing power.

For a period we were linked to almost every England international going.

Would love to see our goalkeepers return to the classic Woods kit of yellow shirt, white shorts and red socks.

That was smart!

Yeah the Hysel disaster and subsequent ban of club sides from Europe probably did make a huge difference to our signing power.

For a period we were linked to almost every England international going.

Would love to see our goalkeepers return to the classic Woods kit of yellow shirt, white shorts and red socks.

That was smart!

My mum had the hots for Big Chris. :D

These guys got an eye-opener when they moved up.

My mum had the hots for Big Chris. :D

These guys got an eye-opener when they moved up.

He was a strapping lad right enough. Only 26 when he signed for us.

Christ I feel old now....

I was gutted when he left but with hindsight it wasn't a problem. Goram was the best ever!

I think the euro ban, and the fact that we could pay almost the same as the clubs in England at that time, (pre sky epl days), also Scottish clubs were getting the same entry deal into European competitions at the time, ie no qualifiers, I think these players didn't see it as a step down in my eyes.

They were great days though.

As I said, big woodsie was the start of a long line if incredible keepers.

God thats some question, is it Butcher right enough? I was thinking along the lines of Tommy Coyne, Hans Gilhouse, John Robertson and maybe even Dougie Arnott

I see you are trying to peddle the myth that everyone else was shite when Rangers were winning titles.

I think he had to face better players than those you mention above. Here's some mythbusters to counter your snide post.

Mo Johnston, Davie Cooper, Jim Bett, Charlie Nicholas, Brian McClair, Frank McAvennie, Paul McStay, John Hewitt, Mark McGhee, Tommy Burns, Alan McInally, Dariusz Dziekanowski, Kevin Gallacher, Paul Sturrock, Iain Ferguson all faced up to Chrissy Woods.

Add a wee dash of Blokhin, Rats, Belanov, Mikhailichenko, Rahn, Furtok, Littbarski, Hassler, Thon, Augenthaler, Prosinecki, Pancev.

Terry Butcher scored more against him than any of them. :)

I see you are trying to peddle the myth that everyone else was shite when Rangers were winning titles.

I think he had to face better players than those you mention above. Here's some mythbusters to counter your snide post.

Mo Johnston, Davie Cooper, Jim Bett, Charlie Nicholas, Brian McClair, Frank McAvennie, Paul McStay, John Hewitt, Mark McGhee, Tommy Burns, Alan McInally, Dariusz Dziekanowski, Kevin Gallacher, Paul Sturrock, Iain Ferguson all faced up to Chrissy Woods.

Add a wee dash of Blokhin, Rats, Belanov, Mikhailichenko, Rahn, Furtok, Littbarski, Hassler, Thon, Augenthaler, Prosinecki, Pancev.

Terry Butcher scored more against him than any of them. :)

lay off the glue, peddle a myth? What age are you?

Tommy Coyne was fucking untouchable for a season in the late 80s, scored about 35 goals for Dundee, he then went onto the Piggery and I can remember him getting a couple against us aswell with them, I dont think its a stretch ti assume he scored 5 goals against us in Woods time although maybe not directly against Chris Woods...Dougie Arnott I'm sure scored a hat-trick against us just after Souness fucked off and left us in the lurch and almost cost us the 3 in a row while Motherwell always gave us a game back then and if you are suggesting Hans Gillhaus wasn't a good striker then you really don't have a fucking clue, the guy won the European Cup with PSV the year before the Sheep signed him and the year after the Sheep signed him was in the Dutch World Cup squad for Italia 90

Just for the exclamation mark, John Robertson scored about 250 goals for Hearts including a good few against us over the years, I remember him getting a few past Woods, one being a last minute penalty at Ibrox to win them the game but Newcastle signed him although he was back up the road within a year I think.

This thread isn't about the best players that played in the League when we were the top dogs FFS its about what strikers were about at rhe time that done damage against Chris Woods

Stop being a paranoid wreck, I'll accept a grovelling snivelling apology tho'

lay off the glue, peddle a myth? What age are you?

Tommy Coyne was fucking untouchable for a season in the late 80s, scored about 35 goals for Dundee, he then went onto the Piggery and I can remember him getting a couple against us aswell with them, I dont think its a stretch ti assume he scored 5 goals against us in Woods time although maybe not directly against Chris Woods...Dougie Arnott I'm sure scored a hat-trick against us just after Souness fucked off and left us in the lurch and almost cost us the 3 in a row while Motherwell always gave us a game back then and if you are suggesting Hans Gillhaus wasn't a good striker then you really don't have a fucking clue, the guy won the European Cup with PSV the year before the Sheep signed him and the year after the Sheep signed him was in the Dutch World Cup squad for Italia 90

Just for the exclamation mark, John Robertson scored about 250 goals for Hearts including a good few against us over the years, I remember him getting a few past Woods, one being a last minute penalty at Ibrox to win them the game but Newcastle signed him although he was back up the road within a year I think.

This thread isn't about the best players that played in the League when we were the top dogs FFS its about what strikers were about at rhe time that done damage against Chris Woods

Stop being a paranoid wreck, I'll accept a grovelling snivelling apology tho'

Thats quite a response right there!!

Thats quite a response right there!!

ach I know mate, I've mentioned guys I clearly remember scoring a few against us in that period out of nothing more than basically just thinking out loud then to see someone call it a snide post then attempt to defend that BS by saying I did it to somehow lessen Rangers achievments in that period annoyed me :lol: