Dave Mcpherson Views On El Gardener

Hamie

Big Dave was a good stopper, that is what he was asked to do and that is what he done for Rangers.

Ally's best stuff was probably, not getting titles taken off us and fighting the five way agreement.

As a football manager Ally won more games than he lost but his style of football left the crowd cold.

If Ally had stayed with Rangers he would have gone in the closed season (probably upstairs), as we would not have got promoted and MW would have come in.

Dave is being loyal to a friend.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as much as your cynicism clouds yours.

The way I remember it, Rangers fans had different opinions on managers and players, sometimes they were right, sometimes wrong... sometimes very wrong. But I don't remember the kind of casual disrespect for people like McPherson, or the many others that get it, that we get now, at the drop of a hat.

I've criticised ex-Rangers before, I just tend to bear in mind who I'm criticising and the wider context of the criticism. People, Rangers fans, have a lack of respect for our history. A history we fought damned hard to protect, but at the same time throw casual insults at ex-Rangers players, most of whom did little to deserve it and, certainly in the cases I can think of, gave nothing but their best for the club and added as best they could to it's history. It devalues us in a small way.

If you want to join that particular type on here, fill your boots.

I defend him as good, not average, btw. Given his achievements and having seen him in the flesh, I find it difficult to see how he could be described as anything else. But that's my opinion, and you might disagree. That's not the issue. I have a problem with disrespect of Rangers, not of criticism of Rangers, and I expect more from people like you than I do of others.

Think many on here are people like me.

Cynical but honest. Will take this over positive but blinkered.

We had it out over mccoist. You made your supportive views clear after the final whistle of tbe petrocac cup game.

I believe I called him a prick, a charlatan cunt of a manager who was ruining us. You diagreed.

Our history is well defended, but do so honestly. We have had shite managers, players, boards and at times fans. Its not all rosy.

Its not treason to say this.

You acceptedmcpherson as average. Not crap. But average yes. High praise iindeed.

Suggest we leave it there for the best tonight.

Think many on here are people like me.

Cynical but honest. Will take this over positive but blinkered.

We had it out over mccoist. You made your supportive views clear after the final whistle of tbe petrocac cup game.

I believe I called him a prick, a charlatan cunt of a manager who was ruining us. You diagreed.

Our history is well defended, but do so honestly. We have had shite managers, players, boards and at times fans. Its not all rosy.

Its not treason to say this.

You acceptedmcpherson as average. Not crap. But average yes. High praise iindeed.

Suggest we leave it there for the best tonight.

My opinions on people are always honest. See, this is the thing, people often seem to think that cynicism equals honest and streetwise, where as positivity doesn't and equals blinkered. Which isn't the case.

I'll repeat, this isn't about criticism. I've criticised before. It's about respect. Too many on here lack it. What I haven't been is needlessly belittling or abusive of those associated with the club. It can be seen as treasonous, to use your word, to do that.

My opinions on people are always honest. See, this is the thing, people often seem to think that cynicism equals honest and streetwise, where as positivity doesn't and equals blinkered. Which isn't the case.

I'll repeat, this isn't about criticism. I've criticised before. It's about respect. Too many on here lack it. What I haven't been is needlessly belittling or abusive of those associated with the club. It can be seen as treasonous, to use your word, to do that.

Mccoist is a charlatan of a manager, and a leech of a man. He cost us millions, continues to fuck us over, and even his name picture or voice I despise. Off topic but relevant.

I cannot think about mccoist the player until mccoist the charlatan is gone from our club and payroll.

He is no legend. He deserves no respect.

This man you backed to the bitter (nearly but not quite there) end. On your morale high ground of showing respect.

So dont preach about belittling when you got it so wrong but still couldn't accept it. And really still dont.

I dont recall any significant criticism of anyone from you. Other than criticising posters for criticising.

Maybe I missed it. Or maybe the reality is you tolerate too much shite rather than call it for what it is.

Mccoist is a charlatan of a manager, and a leech of a man. He cost us millions, continues to fuck us over, and even his name picture or voice I despise. Off topic but relevant.

I cannot think about mccoist the player until mccoist the charlatan is gone from our club and payroll.

He is no legend. He deserves no respect.

This man you backed to the bitter (nearly but not quite there) end. On your morale high ground of showing respect.

So dont preach about belittling when you got it so wrong but still couldn't accept it. And really still dont.

I dont recall any significant criticism of anyone from you. Other than criticising posters for criticising.

Maybe I missed it. Or maybe the reality is you tolerate too much shite rather than call it for what it is.

Yeah, think you must've missed it. Unless criticism is only significant in your eyes if accompanied by 'donkey' or similar. In which case, I haven't.

Congrats on turning the discussion so successfully into a McCoist issue, though. Interesting tack to try to discredit a defence of Dave McPherson and other Rangers players that get it in the throat all too often by referencing a past mistake. How often do I have that to look forward to? An issue which I clearly got wrong. Not entirely sure what makes you think I don't accept that. Which is why I generally don't criticise people for having a go at him continually. But referencing it in the current discussion about respect shown towards solid, honest servants of the club, and using it as some sort of moral counter to justify showing disrespect towards them, or devalue my criticism of such disrespect? Strange.

But anyway, you can look forward to me continuing to defend the history of the club from the kind of language used against Rangers players that have done no more than express an opinion (that makes no difference to anything) from disrespectful name calling, and you can feel free to keep joining in with it. Because you were right about McCoist, so that makes it alright.

Respect isn't a moral high ground with Rangers. I would have thought it's more of a low, easily met standard.

Yeah, think you must've missed it. Unless criticism is only significant in your eyes if accompanied by 'donkey' or similar. In which case, I haven't.

Congrats on turning the discussion so successfully into a McCoist issue, though. Interesting tack to try to discredit a defence of Dave McPherson and other Rangers players that get it in the throat all too often by referencing a past mistake. How often do I have that to look forward to? An issue which I clearly got wrong. Not entirely sure what makes you think I don't accept that. Which is why I generally don't criticise people for having a go at him continually. But referencing it in the current discussion about respect shown towards solid, honest servants of the club, and using it as some sort of moral counter to justify showing disrespect towards them, or devalue my criticism of such disrespect? Strange.

But anyway, you can look forward to me continuing to defend the history of the club from the kind of language used against Rangers players that have done no more than express an opinion (that makes no difference to anything) from disrespectful name calling, and you can feel free to keep joining in with it. Because you were right about McCoist, so that makes it alright.

Respect isn't a moral high ground with Rangers. I would have thought it's more of a low, easily met standard.

Respect is earned not granted just because they wore our jersey. McCoist, Naismith, Whittaker et al have taught us this.

McPherson is our version of their Boyd. A poor player, regular first pick CH, captain and international. Boyd was crap too incidentally.

But hey we've come full circle and I've not called him a donkey in 5 or so posts.

Which isn't bad considering he isn't in either of our top 15 or 20 CHs in our lifetime.

Respect is earned not granted just because they wore our jersey. McCoist, Naismith, Whittaker et al have taught us this.

McPherson is our version of their Boyd. A poor player, regular first pick CH, captain and international. Boyd was crap too incidentally.

But hey we've come full circle and I've not called him a donkey in 5 or so posts.

Which isn't bad considering he isn't in either of our top 15 or 20 CHs in our lifetime.

For me respect is earned by, amongst other things, pulling the jersey on and doing your best. Quite apart from whether or not anyone thinks he or any of the others are good or not, or made a good contribution to the cause, that's all you can ask of anyone.

The minute Dave or anyone else can be shown to be outside of that category, you'll probably find me not taking issue with insulting him. Hence (belatedly) not taking issue with McCoist stuff any more. Not that I'll get involved in it.

And that's the difference between Dave and Boyd. Dave did his damnest at CH, and up and down that right side. Couldn't have been easy for a guy of that... shape and awkwardness. But he did his best. Boyd got fat and lazy. (and McPherson earned 27 caps for a good Scotland, and Boyd wouldn't have lived on the same stage as the Leeds or Marseilles boys or with Brazil and Sweden in the WC - not that that's the main point, the difference in attitude is the main point).

Top 20? I don't know. We've had alot of good centre halves. I could probably name a list of 30 good ones we've had in that time, including Davie.

I'll leave it at that then.

Respect for the likes of mccoist, naysmith, whittaker, mccabe.

They may have tried their best. Fuck them all.

As will I.

All I'd say is I'm fully aware respect can be lost as well as earned, as is the case with the players above. Which brings us back round neatly to Davie. I don't think this one meaningless interview has put him in the same category as the players you mention, that have lost the respect they earned. Far from it.