Who Are The Six?

CMW316

If what Dave King says is true about 5 players to challenge for the premier title next season and assuming they would take 5 of the starting 11 slots, who do we think are the 6 from the current squad who would make our strongest 11?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's 5 to add to squad, not starting 11.

Yeah I got that mate and understand Warbuton is all about the squad. My point was that if we assume these 5 players are to elevate our current team and would be starters, was hypothetical. Obviously not a very popular thread though so never mind

Dave King should have been praising the current squad and the management and coaching staff, not stating we need half a team.

Dredging up the Scott Allen pish was another mistake in my opinion.

Agree with this but on the Allan part I think that was mischief making by the press

Eustace.

replacements for young Nathan, Ball, Law? Miller and Zelalem would make up 5 at least

Fair enough if its additions to the squad, what I took from Kings comments was that we would be looking to win the premier next season and to do that we would need 5 players (although I would expect that to be Warbuton's decision). My assumption was that he meant 5 players who would be of the quality to be first choice. A lot of talk just now is how close we are to competing with them and for me I don't think its as far as what the media are saying.

Zelalem, Oduwa and Ball will need to be replaced. I think we'll sign another striker and another fullback for cover.

Thanks for the sensible contribution mate. Would love to think we could hold onto Oduwa or Zelalem for another season but yeah taking those 3 into account plus the fact Miller is probably coming to the end of his playing career that could be where the 4 of the 5 spots are.

Yeah I got that mate and understand Warbuton is all about the squad. My point was that if we assume these 5 players are to elevate our current team and would be starters, was hypothetical. Obviously not a very popular thread though so never mind

King has just given a ball park figure. IMO we will need more than 5 to challenge on all fronts next season, and I'd have thought it would be fairly obvious why.

Clearly, Oduwa, Zelalem and Ball are 3 players who are unlikely to be here next season so there's 3 straight away. We're light up top and Miller's role will probably diminish further (albeit I think he can still play a limited but huge role on and off the park), and there'd be a question mark over whether Clark would step up. Out with maybe Thompson, Halliday and Sinnamon we don't have great cover for full backs (unless any of the young lads are able to step up, as you certainly don't want to be wasting Halliday as left back cover), not to mention we don't have much cover at centre half either.

I suppose there's the possibility that any of the loan signings may sign on loan again, if not I certainly believe we'll make similar type loans next season. I think being in the premier division and seeing the exposure the 3 lads are getting just now, and the way MW looks after them, the way we are playing, we will be getting players very similar to these lads. Many many players will want to be a part of this, of that there is no doubt IMO. These link ups/relationships with top English clubs should not be underestimated. Makes great football and business sense on every level........

Fair enough if its additions to the squad, what I took from Kings comments was that we would be looking to win the premier next season and to do that we would need 5 players (although I would expect that to be Warbuton's decision). My assumption was that he meant 5 players who would be of the quality to be first choice. A lot of talk just now is how close we are to competing with them and for me I don't think its as far as what the media are saying.

I took it as replacing those mentioned and possibly Clark