Gough Becomes Global Ambassador

BridgeIsBlue

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was saying in the lead up to the failed CVA that a newco was a perfectly viable option, most of the bears i talked to angrily stated to me that it wouldnt be the same club and that a CVA was the only way.

Are you saying that anyone that held that opinion should be banned?

I don't think the bears saying to you that it wouldn't be the same club were having their opinions broadcast to thousands.

We needed people like Gough and Smith to stand up and be counted and both of them fucked up.

Wouldn't Reyna's current involvement with Man City and the City Football Group rule out any involvement with an outside football team? Bocanegra would be great though, not sure what he's doing though.

Probably swimming in a pool of $ notes from his pay-off from us before signing for another team an hour later.

Wish he had rejected his TUPE transfer.

Rangers cannot afford to be overly sentimental, we are a serious football club and a serious business. In keeping with the utterly professional way Warburton goes about his business I would expect every level of our club to work in a similar fashion, utmost professionalism, utterly demanding, pushing for the best.

If Gough fills that position with the desired drive and integrity then that is just swell... but how do we know and how do we measure it?

Most of us on here would rather see any extra cash being made available to our manager, for players, for technical staff, for coaches, for his dinner money or whatever he wants to use it on. Not putting Gough down in any way.

I don't think the bears saying to you that it wouldn't be the same club were having their opinions broadcast to thousands.

We needed people like Gough and Smith to stand up and be counted and both of them fucked up.

How long do you hold that against someone especially when they apologise? We should be involving our legends and celebrating our history as we move onwards and upwards.

Plenty were on Clyde 1 and football forums read by thousands.

I got some amount of abuse for saying that a newco was a perfectly viable option when most were suggesting it would mean the club was dead. Should I have then been offered the role if this is the defining criteria you measure it by?

Wouldn't Reyna's current involvement with Man City and the City Football Group rule out any involvement with an outside football team? Bocanegra would be great though, not sure what he's doing though.

True with Reyna. He was previously with the US Soccer Federation and that was probably the best time to have approached him. Depends on the money out there for this position. Bocanegra is retired and back in the States.

While Gough did play in the US, anyone not familiar with Rangers wouldn't know him at all. At least with Reyna and Boca, they would know both well. Reyna is a rising star in the USA on the coaching/admin side of things and he is a Club 1872 member with RF.

Is he going to be globe trotting and saying to potential fans "We are the mighty Rangers, but whatever you do don't buy out replica strips cos we are boycotting them"

:D

Very true on that. Promoting the club overseas but with an active boycott supported by the folks in charge of the club in place?

When I was saying in the lead up to the failed CVA that a newco was a perfectly viable option, most of the bears i talked to angrily stated to me that it wouldnt be the same club and that a CVA was the only way.

Are you saying that anyone that held that opinion should be banned?

Seriously? you heard Rangers fans saying that? ... did you also hear Rangers fans after it happen say we are dead after they had time to digest it?

The last line I don't know if you are being cute with the wording - there's holding an opinion and there's coming out in public declaring we are dead and coming from our 9 In A Row captain. That hurts and is unforgivable.

And yes, if anyone came on here and said we were dead I'd hope they'd be banned. Personal preference.

Some of the posters crying about the appointment stood up for the last board to the bitter end. Their call was "give them a chance to prove themselves".

So give con-men and inept businessmen out to line their pockets a chance, but no such luxury is afforded to a Club legend.

Warped.

I got some amount of abuse for saying that a newco was a perfectly viable option when most were suggesting it would mean the club was dead. Should I have then been offered the role if this is the defining criteria you measure it by?

Yeah because Clyde 1 is where the true Rangers fans spent their money phoning up talking to taigs and giving perfectly balance opinions and no one ever supports Celtic and phones up pretending to be Rangers fans either.

I like(d) Bocanegra but you have a point.

To be honest, I liked him as well and wish him all the best. Just dont get worship he got whilst the ones that left get nothing but abuse.

In my opinion, they were all as bad as each other, but thats just modern football for you. They all look after themselves first and foremost. Whether it be through leaving to get as much as they can in a signing on fee, or staying when they have no interest to play in the 3rd tier and not leaving without a big pay off.

I dont hate those who left and i dont worship those who stayed. They just lined their respective pockets with their decision.

The only one that stands out was Wallace who I reckon could have left and made more money.

How long do you hold that against someone especially when they apologise? We should be involving our legends and celebrating our history as we move onwards and upwards.

Me personally?

I'm quite an unforgiving person, at a time when we're all standing up for our club being the same entity 2 of our biggest legends come out and basically backed up the tims version of events. I still love Gough and Walter for their service given but their comments will always be at the back of my mind.

Both said it was a new club and both were happy to come back and take a wage.

Offered Gough's role?

If you can increase our profile overseas you can wire in, if you said we were dead though you can stick your application :)

It's very strange that Rangers supporters would be bitter at one of the club's greatest ever players being involved with the club as an ambassador. Loads of clubs have legends as ambassadors yet it's a negative when we do it? Seems like it's just being used an excuse to have a go.

I get what you are saying, I never though 'another example of jobs for the boys' but I did think a commercial appointment would have been wiser and more impressive- ie. someone with knowledge and experience in breaking a sports team into foreign markets, and then developing and growing the market once they have a presence. Global Ambassador sounds like a commercial role, if it's no and its all about engagement with supporters groups abroad then fair do's. Just doubt the big man has the above in his skill set.

Seriously? you heard Rangers fans saying that? ... did you also hear Rangers fans after it happen say we are dead after they had time to digest it?

The last line I don't know if you are being cute with the wording - there's holding an opinion and there's coming out in public declaring we are dead and coming from our 9 In A Row captain. That hurts and is unforgivable.

And yes, if anyone came on here and said we were dead I'd hope they'd be banned. Personal preference.

You have some remarkably strong opinions about what should happen on this forum with your 9 days as a member,

Anyway, fwiw, many people on this forum at the time regarded a CVA as a must, the newco idea took a lot of getting used to for a lot of people.

What was the time limit that gets you off the hook? Did Gough not change his mind?

It's very strange that Rangers supporters would be bitter at one of the club's greatest ever players being involved with the club as an ambassador. Loads of clubs have legends as ambassadors yet it's a negative when we do it? Seems like it's just being used an excuse to have a go.

It's not strange, look at the blowhards who replied first. Hoosier will be along soon

edit: I only looked at the first page and low and behold, hoosier's here :D

Some of the posters crying about the appointment stood up for the last board to the bitter end. Their call was "give them a chance to prove themselves".

So give con-men and inept businessmen out to line their pockets a chance, but no such luxury is afforded to a Club legend.

Warped.

Why are these things lumped in together? if people on here backed the old board then more fool them. They should hold their hands up and say they were wrong. The criticisms of Gough are nothing to do with proving himself in the position it's for disgusting comments he made when he should have known better and being rewarded for it in some made-up position.

You have some remarkably strong opinions about what should happen on this forum with your 9 days as a member,

Anyway, fwiw, many people on this forum at the time regarded a CVA as a must, the newco idea took a lot of getting used to for a lot of people.

Yeah I have some strong opinions. What's 9 days got to do with it? I am comfortable with my views because they are 100% justified.

In my honest opinion some people don't like the truth and desperately clutch at straws to prove a point - like what you've just did there highlighting my 9 days here as if to imply that I can't possibly have an opinion on these matters - or when people say your not a Rangers fan or some of us would rather this new job of Gough's went to a taig. Really, really desperate stuff.