'glasgow' Rangers

Briton

You don't think getting our name right is a worthy topic? Stay out of it then.

Our name is Rangers Football Club, which is contracted to Rangers.

Typically referred to as

- Glasgow Rangers

- Super Rangers

- Champions

- Most successful team in the world

I've almost never heard us being called "the Rangers". Outwith people making sevco jokes.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd imagine the SFA knew the correct name of our football club. This was from the transfer of membership statement.

"We are pleased to confirm that agreement has been reached on all outstanding points relating to the transfer of the Scottish FA membership between Rangers FC (In Administration), and Sevco Scotland Ltd, who will be the new owners of The Rangers Football Club.

There were a number of complex and challenging issues involved but, primarily, the Scottish FA had to be satisfied that the new owners of Rangers would operate in the best interests of the club, its fans and Scottish football in general."

So officially (imo) it's The Rangers Football Club,but it's usually shortened to just Rangers. That's my take on it anyway.

There's no dispute about that. We have never officially been Glasgow Rangers.

Our name is Rangers Football Club, which is contracted to Rangers.

Typically referred to as

- Glasgow Rangers

- Super Rangers

- Champions

- Most successful team in the world

I've almost never heard us being called "the Rangers". Outwith people making sevco jokes.

We've ALWAYS been The Rangers. Long before Craig Whyte, Charles Green and the rest even existed we were The Rangers.

Here's the league flag from 86/87 https://twitter.com/jamesablack/status/625773243853611009

There is certainly no need for a 9 page thread on this nonsense non issue

Why do people keep saying that whilst partaking in the thread? If it's a non-issue to you then stay out of it. Problem solved.

There's no dispute about that. We have never officially been Glasgow Rangers.

You are correct we have never officially been Glasgow Rangers but that does not mean we have never been called that for decades by thousands of people every week attending the games and singing the songs

Why do people keep saying that whilst partaking in the thread? If it's a non-issue to you then stay out of it. Problem solved.

Was basically a more polite way of saying that you need to calm down if it really bothers you that much. Youre basically just looking for folk to disagree with.

You are correct we have never officially been Glasgow Rangers but that does not mean we have never been called that for decades by thousands of people every week attending the games and singing the songs

The songs yes, (try writing a song with just Rangers to work with; it's understandable why so many are built around Glasgow Rangers); do Bears actually refer to Rangers as Glasgow Rangers in general though? "are you going to the Glasgow Rangers game wee Joe?" I very much doubt it.

Was basically a more polite way of saying that you need to calm down if it really bothers you that much. Youre basically just looking for folk to disagree with.

I'm calm...what makes you think otherwise? You might notice that there are people who agree with me as well as those who disagree.

Did you know that we have never officially been Glasgow Rangers?

Yea I did, but they've always been Glasgow Rangers too me.

and like I said before, it serves as a way to distinguish them from other rangers, not for our sake but likely more so for other clubs sakes

Imagine a Queen Park Rangers fan listening to the news and hear just Rangers, how will they know it's them or us?

I'm happy with 'Glasgow Rangers'. That's how I have always known the club. I'm a Barrhead boy not from Glasgow and it does not cause me any concern.

I object to 'the Rangers' though because that sounds like it's trying to make us a new club.

As the song says, "we all follow the Gers, the Glasgow Rangers, the Teddy Bears"

When used in the media Rangers always tends to refer to us so most people out there know we are who we are.

Did you know that we have never officially been Glasgow Rangers?

Depends on what you want to call official. There was official merchandise as recently as 2004/5 that had the initials GRFC emblazoned across it.

I'm not a fan of using Glasgow Rangers personally but it's easy to see why it's done (particularly outwith Scotland). There's lots of wee grey areas with stuff like this. The club regularly referred to Ibrox Stadium years before the name was ever changed from Ibrox Park.

You're like a dripping tap :lol:

Why? It's a genuine question. You can hardly be critical of someone calling us Glasgow Rangers if they thought that actually was the name of the club. I've met several Bears who didn't realise that.

Edit: (I meant before he entered the thread. Obviously he knows now)

Why? It's a genuine question. You can hardly be critical of someone calling us Glasgow Rangers if they thought that actually was the name of the club. I've met several Bears who didn't realise that.

Genuine question here and I'm not trying to be funny.

Have you ever lost sleep over it?

1. Depends on what you want to call official. There was official merchandise as recently as 2004/5 that had the initials GRFC emblazoned across it.

I'm not a fan of using Glasgow Rangers personally but it's easy to see why it's done (particularly outwith Scotland).

1. I think you know what is meant by official. You can buy merchandise with The Teddy Bears on. What are we known as to the SFA, UEFA, FIFA?

2. A point I've made a few times. I understand why it is done; particularly by outsiders.