'glasgow' Rangers

Briton

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our name is Rangers Football Club, which is contracted to Rangers.

Typically referred to as

- Glasgow Rangers

- Super Rangers

- Champions

- Most successful team in the world

I've almost never heard us being called "the Rangers". Outwith people making sevco jokes.

4 lads had a dream...The Rangers were born..

who's that team they call The Rangers....

I've almost never heard us being called "the Rangers". Outwith people making sevco jokes.

You must talk to a lot of tims then. Ive always heard us being called "The Rangers" not with some deft emphasis on "The", but just, "im going to see the Rangers" or "I was watching the Rangers" particularly from older bears Ive heard this.

And its in plenty of songs, "The Rangers were born" "only here to see the Rangers" "when the Rangers were born" "whos that team they call the Rangers"

As ive said every way is fine, doesnt make a difference, most people will know youre talking about the worlds most successful Club and not one of those other diddies

The songs yes, (try writing a song with just Rangers to work with; it's understandable why so many are built around Glasgow Rangers); do Bears actually refer to Rangers as Glasgow Rangers in general though? "are you going to the Glasgow Rangers game wee Joe?" I very much doubt it.

How about "Follow, follow, we will follow Rangers"?

You must talk to a lot of tims then. Ive always heard us being called "The Rangers" not with some deft emphasis on "The", but just, "im going to see the Rangers" or "I was watching the Rangers" particularly from older bears Ive heard this.

And its in plenty of songs, "The Rangers were born" "only here to see the Rangers" "when the Rangers were born" "whos that team they call the Rangers"

As ive said every way is fine, doesnt make a difference, most people will know youre talking about the worlds most successful Club and not one of those other diddies

I go onto the sub-reddit, scottish football see it a bit there. It's especially true on Twitter and Facebook

I've likely just never noticed it unless i was looking for it.

I apologize for Smearing(?) "The Rangers" but I still prefer Glasgow Rangers, just sounds better imo

Bloody hell, thought I'd nip in, have a qiuick comment, and do some work. But here we are on page 11! we must really being doing well on the park.

Anyway I'm not bothered. I always think of us as Glasgow Rangers, even though I don't call us that.

What does bother me is stray apostophes as in : Ranger's. That's got to add another 20 pages at least.

Glasgow is the best City in the world mate and we are a Glasgow team. And as a Glaswegian I want my city know as a Rangers one. Do you want the Bheasts to steal that mantle? Rangers are from Glasgow and followed and adopted by people all over the world, don't try and separate my team and my city.

Glasgow WAS the best city in the world. It is now just a rhepublican rhathole full of yessers. Just look at the referendum figures and the party of ALL its MP's.

People say it when they want to give more weight to the name ... like James instead of Jim

Can't see that. It seems to me there's more weight in our unique name when you don't add a place name. There's no The United, there's no The City, there's no The Rovers, there's no The Wanderers (anymore). There's lots of places that use those add-ons. As there is for Rangers. We are the only club that can call ourselves the Rangers as we own it. BTW...I think we should take that back from the Tims. Thank them for reminding us of our history to take the piss back.

I can still remember when Glasgow had a population of over one million people, representing 20% of the population of Scotland, and proud to be the home of The Rangers.

My grandfather was around when the City was classed as the second city in the British empire and was a bustling metropolis, launching ships at a rate that even a Henry Ford production line would have been proud of, the home of The Rangers

My Father was around when the City was still a city to be proud of, with all it's faults, but still his home and the home of The Rangers.

I was born and bred in Glasgow and I am proud of all the history that great City gave to me, from world class status of being the second city of the empire, to the Maryhill barracks where so many Glaswegians voluntarily enlisted to fight the h** in WW11, to being the City of Culture, and still to this very day, the home of The Rangers.

I for one am proud that The Rangers can also use this great City they adopted as a prefix to our official title (Officially or Unofficially) as greatness breeds greatness, and no Club can say that "There's Not A Team Like The Glasgow Rangers, No Not One, And There Never Will Be One" ...... Only we can claim this honour ....... and without the City of Glasgow inhabitants it is highly unlikely that we would have ever reached the heights that we have reached.

I know that we are represented Worldwide now, but without This Great City we would have been no more known than the rugby team our name originated from.

The board officials calling us The Glasgow Rangers at The Loving Cup Ceremony, are quite rightly recognising the tremendous debt we owe to Glasgow and it's Contribution to our Club.

:uk:

Can't see that. It seems to me there's more weight in our unique name when you don't add a place name. There's no The United, there's no The City, there's no The Rovers, there's no The Wanderers (anymore). There's lots of places that use those add-ons. As there is for Rangers. We are the only club that can call ourselves the Rangers as we own it. BTW...I think we should take that back from the Tims. Thank them for reminding us of our history to take the piss back.

(td)

For some of us who have been around a wee bit longer than most, we have never had to "take that back" as we have always had it and never, never, never, surrendered our "The" to them.

In all my living memory, and to most people I know, we have always been The Rangers, whether that be officially, or unofficially and no scum from any other diddy team in this land will ever take that away from us.

PS what is Cornwall officially named these day? ..... :P

Forever and ever we'll follow----

Theres not a team like---

When the Rangers came to Wolverhampton town, theres not a team like -------

We'll support you evermore-----

Plenty songs about The Glasgow Rangers sung loud and proud for many years, Rangers/Glasgow Rangers/The Rangers whatever other people want to call us matters not a jot to me, I know who I support.

1872 or 1873?

The very, very few Rangers fans I know who disputed The Rangers being called (unofficially) The Glasgow Rangers, were fellow Scots from out with the confines of The City of Glasgow, and invariably from the East coast, in particular Edinburgh.

Trying to prise the reason for this stance from one, was akin to getting water from a stone, which left me with the assumption that they are jealous of the fact that the Fine City of Glasgow is the actual home of our great Club, simple as that, as Edinburgh has always been in competition with Glasgow since it was classed as the number one City in Scotland and the second in the Empire, much to Edinburgh's chagrin.

Another reason I assumed was, that because he was not from the City, and with the Glasgow prefix attached, this possibly opened up awkward questions for him, as he felt no natural kinship with the City, and was asked by his Edinburgh kinsmen, "Why do you support The Rangers then if you are from here?", making it understandable his reluctance to have The Glasgow Prefix attached, as without it, it never claimed any territorial provenance, and less open to debate, alleviating the need to answer awkward questions from his city kinsmen.

Anyone from Glasgow who has grown up there and knows the great history of The Rangers and the City, and who feels the need to drop the City prefix, is of a younger generation than me and perhaps see it as being modern, or see no reason to add it as they are from the City and find it silly, as when you say Rangers in Scotland, never mind Glasgow, it can only mean The Glasgow Rangers. This I totally understand as I can identify with this.

Tradition is one thing, modernism is another, my opinion is that The Glasgow Rangers Is tradition, and modernism is another word for Global, of which all Rangers fans have the privilege of enjoying , as we are both, but we were both traditional and Global long before any other football club and well before it became fashionable to be either.

So whether it's Rangers FC, The Rangers, The Glasgow Rangers, Glasgow Rangers, or plain old Rangers, no matter where you come from, your reason for your particular choice, one thing is certain, we are Famous ...... or perhaps The Famous ........ :pipe: