McGinn close to Scotland call-up

Wightman84

From the BBC......

Hibernian midfielder John McGinn is playing himself into contention for an international call-up, Scotland coach Stuart McCall has told BBC Scotland.

The Scots have forthcoming friendlies against Czech Republic and Denmark.

"Obviously we've got a couple of double headers coming up at the end of March and we'll watch his form between now and then," McCall told Sportscene.

"But he's certainly one we've got our eye on and he's playing well. He's been discussed. He's on the radar."

McGinn switched to Easter Road from St Mirren in the summer following the Paisley club's relegation from the Scottish Premiership.

The 21-year-old has helped Hibs vie with Rangers for the Championship title and the Edinburgh side lie second, eight points behind their Glasgow rivals.

They have also reached the Scottish League Cup final, in which they will face Ross County, after McGinn scored the winning goal against St Johnstone in the semi-final.

McGinn has already represented his country at under-19 and under-21 level.

1 minute ago, Wightman84 said:

I didn't ask if people gave a fuck about the national team. I personally do, so anyone else who does, how close do you think our Scottish players are to getting in the squad?

So far the replies indicate no-one gives a fuck.

2 minutes ago, Wightman84 said:

I didn't ask if people gave a fuck about the national team. I personally do, so anyone else who does, how close do you think our Scottish players are to getting in the squad?

That's not what you really meant now was it? posting a BhBC article about a Hivs player eh?

5 minutes ago, Wightman84 said:

It was really what I meant. It was a simple question. Do you think the 3 players I named are closer to the squad than McGinn? I do. I want them in the Scotland squad.

Obviously not or the talk would be about them and not McGinn. You probably know this, though.

8 minutes ago, Wightman84 said:

It was really what I meant. It was a simple question. Do you think the 3 players I named are closer to the squad than McGinn? I do. I want them in the Scotland squad.

what do you think? you have so far only asked questions, so what do you think?

6 minutes ago, TonyRice1872 said:

Holt is like a much more polished version of McGinn - if McCall etc. can't see that our players deserve call ups too then that's their problem, in fact I would even say that makes me glad we got our real manager(s) instead

I agree about Holt being a more polished version. Everytime ive seen McGinn he just runs about and has bit of dig about him, that's about it.

And if Barry Bannan can keep getting in the Scotland squad then Barrie surely has to be seriously close to a call up?

3 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

what do you think? you have so far only asked questions, so what do you think?

I think Wallace should def be in the squad....Forsyth is a bombscare and Robertson is shit defensively. Holt is a def for me aswell, Charlie Mulgrew is pretending to be a centre midfielder for Scotland, so get a proper one in there.

I think McKay will be pushing for a place in the squad soon imo too. We've got guys like Bannan doing fuck all and getting in the squad.

McGinn seems a good player to me and I think he's been the standout Hibs player of the last wee while, as far as I've seen. 

Must feel like a bit of a kick in the balls for Wallace, though. Hadn't Strachan implied that it would be tough to get in the squad if you weren't playing at a higher level?

Also agree that if he's being considered, then surely McKay and Holt must be.