Ally Ally gtf

pcbear

4 hours ago, centenarystand said:

I was at the game and he was getting dogs abuse that day. What people seem to forget or too young to know  is that for every goal Ally scored he would miss 4 sitters and that was all throughout his Rangers career.

Often wondered what would have happened if we had a Negri type finisher for all those years.

Well, if we take Negri as a Negri type striker, we can say that we would have probably won fuck all.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, centenarystand said:

I was at the game and he was getting dogs abuse that day. What people seem to forget or too young to know  is that for every goal Ally scored he would miss 4 sitters and that was all throughout his Rangers career.

Often wondered what would have happened if we had a Negri type finisher for all those years.

Think that was true in the early years but he developed into a fairly clinical finisher plus he always had that poachers instinct to be in the right place at the right time. 

2 hours ago, smitzer007 said:

Think that was true in the early years but he developed into a fairly clinical finisher plus he always had that poachers instinct to be in the right place at the right time. 

Keep telling my son about this , how he could score 20 yarders or 2 yard tap ins after the ball had bounced of 4 pairs of legs , and all celebrated like cup winners with that big smile on his face . I'm sure he scored at the Copland end in one of Souness first couple of years when a defenders clearance hit him on the baws and rebounded into the net (falkirk or dundee i think ) 

Would love to see someone with his goalscoring instinct with the chances the current side creates .

I was in bottom of copland that day and along with everyone else the whole copland was chanting it.Was one of them days for Ally that he couldnt stick ball away.was about 85/86 few months before Souness came in.Ally was our top scorer that season and mite even have won golden boot too.cant remember much else as a was still a teenager at the time.

8 hours ago, centenarystand said:

Aye cause hes ruIght behind ally as 2nd place top score...r. He took more chances and yeah he missed some howlers but still our top scorer, and to me he will always be a legend for that alone.

1 hour ago, Charlie Bear said:

Aye cause hes ruIght behind ally as 2nd place top score...r. He took more chances and yeah he missed some howlers but still our top scorer, and to me he will always be a legend for that alone.

You like the other fella that quoted me are taking this  out of context. Negri for his short time made the most of his chances on the other hand McCoist as i stated earlier in his long career at Rangers missed a lot of chances for the ratio of goals scored like it or lump it if you watched Rangers in this period thats a fact.

Im not knocking McCoist  the legend as a player merely stating what i witnessed. For what its worth that goal at Elland Road and his tally against the filth were wildly celebrated by myself at those times but its always been an obsevation of mine.

Just my views and not knocking Ally as the Rangers footballing legend.

11 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

I was there that day we got horsed out the cup by Dundee 0-1 Brown being the scorer .My memory of the famous Ally Ally gtf was of previous years game where  Ian Ferguson scored twice and knocked us out 3-2 at Ibrox ..I'm certain. This was the game where this song was born .Few weeks later he bangs in the hat trick to win us 1983/84 Lc final .This club have a habit of doing us in the cup at Ibrox .They also fucked us out in 73/74 with Jocky Scott Hat trick .We have to be careful .

Re the 73/74 game..

IIrc, it was played on a Sunday, because of the on-going power crisis.

Because of Sunday trading laws back then, we weren't allowed to charge entrance money, but we could sell programmes - so everyone had to buy a programme priced at whatever the going rate was back then (imagine having to pay £22 for a prog these days!).

The crowd, despite all that, was 64,672!

12 hours ago, centenarystand said:

You like the other fella that quoted me are taking this  out of context. Negri for his short time made the most of his chances on the other hand McCoist as i stated earlier in his long career at Rangers missed a lot of chances for the ratio of goals scored like it or lump it if you watched Rangers in this period thats a fact.

Im not knocking McCoist  the legend as a player merely stating what i witnessed. For what its worth that goal at Elland Road and his tally against the filth were wildly celebrated by myself at those times but its always been an obsevation of mine.

Sorry bud thought it was a dig at Ally. Agree with your point. If he had the same hit ratio he would have been in the 500s

9 hours ago, HG5 said:

Re the 73/74 game..

IIrc, it was played on a Sunday, because of the on-going power crisis.

Because of Sunday trading laws back then, we weren't allowed to charge entrance money, but we could sell programmes - so everyone had to buy a programme priced at whatever the going rate was back then (imagine having to pay £22 for a prog these days!).

The crowd, despite all that, was 64,672!

Thanks my good bluenose mate . I had just started going to Rangers games this year as a very young boy so my memory of this game is quite vague .

65,000 .. Jesus . Think it will be at least 30,000 short of that today sadly

12 hours ago, centenarystand said:

I don't really agree with that either, there is no way to compare them, I am sure you can find a 6 month period where McCoist took a high ratio of chances. Negri's short time was 4 years.

14 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

Thanks my good bluenose mate . I had just started going to Rangers games this year as a very young boy so my memory of this game is quite vague .

65,000 .. Jesus . Think it will be at least 30,000 short of that today sadly

Wasn't in a position to go myself - I got to around a game a year in those days.

Your prediction was right on the money - those who stayed away will be kicking themselves for missing a cracking game!

On 04/03/2016 at 2:45 AM, BF2 said:

I remember it being sang at Tynecastle last season when he subbed MacLeod off for Foster when we were 2-0 down...

Tactical genius.....

Sadly negri for whatever reason only played 30 odd games and scored 32 goals.  Another case of what might have been

May have happened, but never amongst the crowd I was in.

If it had happened I'd have been the first one booing. 

Ally did take a fair bit of verbal stick from fans in the barren years, as did the likes of Ally Scott, Martin Henderson and others. Wan't my idea of being a supporter though.

Can obviously remember players being slated verbally by individual or even a collective of fans, but never a mass gesture of derisory singing against any Gers player.

We did sing derogatory stuff about Alfie Conn, but only after he joined cellic.