Does Ibrox need to host European finals?

Danny

We all know it's a fantastic stadium, 5 star, and laughably superior to that atrocity in the East End - but it never gets mooted for hosting Euro finals.

Apparently the SFA never put either OF stadium forward for hosting, proposing Hampden only.

But surely Ibrox is more than good enough? Or is it just a case of the bigwigs trying to avoid 'offending' timmy?

I dont think they can use celtics ground as it is only 3 star and Hampden has a higher capacity than our beloved Ibrox and that means less bums on seats and tickets to sell to advertisement competitions and dignitaries.

Sucks but thats how it goes.

I dont think they can use celtics ground as it is only 3 star and Hampden has a higher capacity than our beloved Ibrox and that means less bums on seats and tickets to sell to advertisement competitions and dignitaries.

Hampden is, according to World Stadiums dot com, smaller than Ibrox m8.

Hampden is, according to World Stadiums dot com, smaller than Ibrox m8.

Really? I thought that hampden was 60,000 but I could be wrong.

Lets say you're right. That would probably suggest that the SFA would rather have the money that we would take from Ibrox hosting a final.

Hampden was closed for a good few years and we were still never put forward.

Now it's open again we've got a snowball's chance in hell.

And the San Giro isn't eligible, something to do with freemasons...

Ibrox fits the bill in every sense in my opinion, although its not the biggest by any means, in European terms.

Could even our crappy weather be a factor as to how UEFA view us, comparing our climate to Spain, France, Italy, Greece etc ?

Ibrox fits the bill in every sense in my opinion, although its not the biggest by any means, in European terms.

Could even our crappy weather be a factor as to how UEFA view us, comparing our climate to Spain, France, Italy, Greece etc ?

UEFA have hosted a few finals in Glasgow over the past few years so unless there is a small patch of nasty weather localised around Ibrox then I can't see weather being the issue.

UEFA have hosted a few finals in Glasgow over the past few years so unless there is a small patch of nasty weather localised around Ibrox then I can't see weather being the issue.

thats true, good point Mobius (tu)

If weather was the case then Hampden would never have been selected for two major Euro finals.

Ibrox is better equipped to host a Euro final than most English stadiums, never mind Ham-dump or Parkshed, but is consistently overlooked because David Murray failed to fight our corner.

Which stadium was better for the last final of CWC? BTW, a competiton whose final we were the first British team to grace? Ibrox or 37, 000 capacity Villa Park?

Nor does 'neutral' Ham-dump hold any water. The National Stadium is the SFA's bargaining counter, without it the SFA have nothing tangible to offer.

The only reason I could think not to choose Ibrox is the Main Stand... they may find it difficult to ensure the equal amount of supporters for each club, whereas Hampden is straight forward.

I really don't know, I'm just trying to think of reasons why not.

The only reason I could think not to choose Ibrox is the Main Stand... they may find it difficult to ensure the equal amount of supporters for each club, whereas Hampden is straight forward.

I really don't know, I'm just trying to think of reasons why not.

if you think about it, in terms of ibrox, the 2 teams would get a stand behind the goal and a shared split of govan, the bill struth could be split into 3 depending on how much the uefa delegates etc get, half a govan and behind a goal each could be sufficient when you look at the amount of tickets handed out in greece to liverpool

The only reason we havent hosted a final is that they dont want to offend timmy. Its as simple as that. Do we need to host them? Well i think yes we do as it will raise the profile of the club if european finals are held at our ground. I cant see us getting the champions league final but a uefa cup final would be a possibility although probably not for a few years now.

Well hopefully with new SFA Chief Executive and Ex-Rangers Gordon Smith who also says that the fans should have say in what happens in Scottish Football he may be told by a fan of this club and he might put Ibrox forward as a candidate.

Well hopefully with new SFA Chief Executive and Ex-Rangers Gordon Smith who also says that the fans should have say in what happens in Scottish Football he may be told by a fan of this club and he might put Ibrox forward as a candidate.

Yeah lets spam him until he submits.

It's an interesting question Danny... There's no doubt that the stadium is worthy. Personally I'd love it, but I doubt the will is there from the SFA to be honest.

At least we have a stadium that fits the criteria -- unlike that dump in the east end.