Lacrosse: 80-yard desperation goal at buzzer beater

Lando

Watch the guy, Brodie Merrill, #17 with the long green stick with the Boston Cannons, score the tying goal from 80 yards. That was a buzzer beater goal.  Boston was two goals behind the Rochester Rattlers, 12-14. With this goal, the Cannons got two points to tie this game at 14-14.  Then in the overtime, Boston scored to win the game.  That was quite an insane goal.

18 hours ago, LegendofCoop said:

Nice to see you posting again Lando, hope you are keeping well mate. (tu)

Have to say, I've watched that about 10 tmes now and I've still to see the fucking ball yet!! :lol:

I know. Me, too.  I tried to locate the ball, but the problem is the ball is white and with all that night lights all around, that makes it difficult to follow the ball.    I'm doing well, thanks, mate.

8 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

did he actually throw something or did someone just slip a wee baw into the net while the keeper wasnt looking lol

welcome back lando, hope your health is on the up

Really, the goalkeeper had no excuse for not stopping the ball, but since Brodie is a lefty, his throw may have included the ball into a spinning action that would bounce off the ground and go into a different direction.

This weekend, there are several college lacrosse teams vying for the NCAA Lacrosse championship on Memorial Day (May 30).  I have not memorized the teams yet, but I will come back to this thread to list these teams.  All I know that the defending champion, the Denver Pioneers were knocked out of the first round last weekend.

BTW,  my health is doing good.  I will see my Vascular surgeon next Monday for my annual check-up because I had my stent in my heart in December, 2014.  Then next month, my another annual check up will be with the oncologist.

It has been two years ago that there were more than 30 teams competing at the 2014 World Lacrosse Championships in Denver.  I eagerly followed this lacrosse championships on the Internet.  Mind y'all,  Scotland really, really, really improved a lot in this championships by finishing sixth,  the best ever because they usually end up as 8th or 9th or further down. Honestly, this team had a mixture of native Scots and Americans with bona fide Scottish ancestry really surprised me and everyone else.  The other surprising team in this tourney was Israel.   Anyway, the Auld Enemy had to hold off Scotland to win the fifth place, 15-13, YET Scotland managed to get the sixth place guaranteeing them to be in the Blue Division when the 2018 World Lacrosse Championships come around.  The Blue Division is almost like the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, SPL and the like.  That was really a big deal for Scotland.

http://www.worldlacrosse2014.com/news/071914_world_lacrosse_championship_final_day

This goes without saying that a lot of people were impressed with Scotland by voting 4 Scotland players for the President's Team!

http://www.worldlacrosse2014.com/news/071914_scotland_dominates_president-s_team_at_world_championship

38 minutes ago, Lando said:

BTW,  my health is doing good.  I will see my Vascular surgeon next Monday for my annual check-up because I had my stent in my heart in December, 2014.  Then next month, my another annual check up will be with the oncologist.

good to hear mate, how often is your oncologist check up if you dont mind me asking?

9 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

good to hear mate, how often is your oncologist check up if you dont mind me asking?

Once every year now.  I know I will have an x ray done and then a week later, see the oncologist at his office.

22 minutes ago, North Antrim Bear said:

What do you call an angry French woman?

La Cross.

I am bad at puns, too.  Anyway, that was when the French Jesuit priests observed the Native Americans playing this sport in the 1600s, and they saw that the sticks they used reminded them of a bishop's cross.  For the Native Americans, they have a different word, baggataway.
"Baggataway \ n. \ Ojibwe word for lacrosse (derived from an Algonquian verb meaning "to hit with [something]"), and more particularly the Midwestern/Great Lakes variant of the game. Alternate spelling (preferred by ethnographers) is baaga'adowe."   

Totally forgot all about what shinty is.  Just had to google to find out what it is. It looks like field hockey.

Anyway, one more link on the 2014 World Lacrosse Championships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_World_Lacrosse_Championship

The 2018 World Lacrosse Championships will return to Manchester, England from 12 July to 21 July, 2018.