Waggy

RangersMedia

14 minutes ago, Broxi said:

To be honest, I don't quite know how a player can have so many poor shots and still have them go in the back of the net. He's had a number of really fortunate goals imo. Also a lot of the time his first touch takes about my 6/7 yards backwards and slows the play down.

He's a good player for us, but I'm happy to see how Dodoo does.

He's one of those players who has scored so many goals but many of them flatter him. Penalties and mishit shots etc, but he brings way more than goals to the team. He's someone I'd love to keep his place in the side alongside a natural goal scorer.

Has to be said as well, the atmosphere when he scored was outstanding.

I like Waggy, I really do however I think we will be okay without him. For me he is a very hit and miss striker, like most strikers I suppose. He can be very frustrating and I find him quite predictable at times. He's the type of striker who'll miss easy chances but then score a near impossible goal. 

I think he has all the ingredients to be a top striker. He does have great technique, he's fast, he works hard and is strong as an ox. However, I personally think he is wasted out wide, and in turn IMO this may effect his finishing at times. When he is out wide he has a habit of getting to the bye line but he has no right foot. He therefore overruns the ball or wins a corner. Other than that his main way of scoring is having to check back and bend one into the far corner. Playing out wide so often IMO must make it more difficult to him to feel that consistency of playing through the middle, finding the same angles, making the same runs, shooting from similar positions, so when he does get moved through the middle it's understandable that he may get a little over excited and snatches at chances, as he's limited to shooting chances out wide. If he were to have a run as a number 9 I believe he, and the team as a whole would feel the benefits. He can play wide but I think we lose a lot from him playing out there. Waggy through the middle with a combination of McKay, MOH, WIndass or Dodoo out wide would be far more beneficial to us.....

Hopefully he's not out for too long and wishing him a speedy recovery.........

14 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Even if it's a strain you need to be careful, just look at Windass as he got a recurrence on Thursday with his hamstring. Can't rush him back.

100% correct. If it's a tear he will be out until late September early October. That being the case I'd say we need to invest in a natural centre forward.

50 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

It's not massive at all, Waghorn is so overrated on here. People said the same last season, he wasn't missed.

He may have scored today(keeper slow in getting down) but his performance once again was poor. 

Agreed, he blows hot and cold, maybe good enough in the championship but will he make it in the premiership.

The off side goal chance should have been put away no matter what.

56 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

You're massively overrated him. He lost the ball many times today. Last season proved he's not a massive loss.

Agree with this. Wasn't impressed at all by him. Thought some of his passing was woeful, especially in the first half, and for a big strong guy he lost the ball a hell of a lot. Some poor choices too. 

Doesn't contribute enough for me. We NEED a quality centre forward. 

Losing him for up to (say) 6-8 weeks shouldn't worry MW too much.  He often likes to make the point that interchangeable 7s, 8s, 10s and 11s is what he is after and what he has got.   They can't all play at the same time so there are players to step in.  After all MW never talks about a No9 and never talks about deploying a plan B and has made it clear he is happy with the squad as is and would only add if the right players became available.  He doesn't believe in having a strongest team and insists its all about the squad.  So MW will presumably not blink at the absence of Waggy for some weeks and will just get on with the job as he believes he has adequate resources to compete more than strongly over the season as a whole (taking account of injuries and suspensions). 

Quite who he is going to rely on for scoring goals will be interesting to see since Miller is clearly out of form and may well be past it as a decent goal scoring threat against Premiership defences.    But since a No9 is never talked about and presumably not on the agenda its up to those interchangeable 7s, 8s, 10s and 11s to step up and start scoring a-plenty.  

Of course the cat could well be among the pigeons if Rangers receives a bid for one or some of these interchangeable 7s, 8s, 10s and 11s - especially if its a bid that would be hard to refuse.    But then, presumably MW has factored that in to his assessment of the adequacy of the squad to more than compete over the course of the season. 

As ever with Waghorn I found myself saying to myself 'Griffiths would have buried that' 3 times again today. I don't give a fuck if that makes me sound like a Tarrier or whatever, it's true. General play was sloppy as well. He's probably still our best forward though, just emphasises how much we need one in. 

4 hours ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

You having a laugh mate? Did you see the results towards the end of the season?

I think our form dipped because Forrester was out injured. When Waghorn went out injured Kenny Miller stepped up and true enough he wasn't missed that much, but when Forrester broke his foot we started to decline rapidly. Maybe it was a combination of them both missing. Personally I think we need an out and out goal scorer and Waggy ain't it. We'll wait and see if Dodoo can step up because I can't see King splashing any cash anytime soon :(