Big Niko

Gaz52

Give him 90 against Linfield to push his fitness levels and then start him. If not 100% fit the tempo of the OF will be too much but if fit he is too good to leave on the bench as he can change the game with a pass. Also get the feeling another of his long range shots are due to land again.

Why is Barton (and Halliday) still 1st choice ffs. We desperately need to see if we can muster a midfield from Niko, Windass, Crooks, Rossiter, Forrester, MOH and Holt. The team look as though they totally given up on our passing style from last year. It's taking on the look of a McCoist team again. 

15 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

They have played in the same team before they came to Rangers?

Several year ago when they were both younger and surrounded by different players, though. Can't see it working for us.

9 hours ago, Inigo said:

Several year ago when they were both younger and surrounded by different players, though. Can't see it working for us.

You would say that that Barton and Kranjcar have had their abilities so modified by age that what they could do a few years ago they can't do now? I don't agree, and neither do I agree with your proposition that because they play with different team mates they therefore cannot be in the same team. I see the potential that they are both growing into this midfield, arguably Kranjcar had his best performance so far against Kilmarnock, and Barton is performing much better than he is being given credit for; even in the Motherwell match he brought the best out of Barrie McKay, after McKay had a torrid first half- some of Barton's passes in that Motherwell second half, and in the Kilmarnock match were as good as anything anywhere. I think that's nonsense that they cannot play in the same team, especially for the reasons you give.

52 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

You would say that that Barton and Kranjcar have had their abilities so modified by age that what they could do a few years ago they can't do now? I don't agree, and neither do I agree with your proposition that they play with different team mates, so therefore they cannot be in the same team. I see the potential that they are both growing into this midfield, arguably Kranjcar had his best performance so far against Kilmarnock, and Barton is performing much better than he is being given credit for; even in the Motherwell match he brought the best out of Barrie McKay, after McKay had a torrid first half- some of Barton's passes in that Motherwell second half, and in the Kilmarnock match were as good as anything anywhere. I think that's nonsense that they cannot play in the same team, especially for the reasons you give.

Good points mate. I might be wrong, but if MW does decide to play both in the OF game, then this exactly the type of game that they will locve and thrive on. And with opposition doing most of the pressing from the start, I think their class and ability to pick a decent pass will work in our favour - especially with the pace of McKay, MOH etc. I We have a real chance, even if it's a 'snatch and grab' game for us! We just need our defence to be a bit more solid for us though this time...

On 28/08/2016 at 0:34 AM, Gaz52 said:

Is it just me or is he looking leaner and sharper now? What a difference a few weeks can make

When he came on vs Motherwell for his debut he was blowing out his arse within 5 minutes but last night he looked sharp and mobile. He didn't have the desired impact but there were no gaps for him to exploit.

Is he a starter in your eyes? I think definitely now he's getting closer to being fully fit. 

He was miles better, a must starter for me and should be on the park before Haliday unless Haliday is playing in Barton's position, but I also think Rossiter could play that role bettter, probably better than Barton currently is doing.

2 minutes ago, OhW said:

There's a difference between his best days being behind him and him making a valuable contribution to our team. Cristiano Ronaldo's best days are behind him, would you turn him down?

Completely different arguement , him or Messi wouldnt be blowing out their arse after 10 minutes, and i know hes no fit but i dont think hes going to get any better and thats why i said it was a wrong signing. Him and Barton just dont fit into the way we were playing.

On 28/08/2016 at 9:38 AM, onefootwillie said:

Looking fitter but I would have him as a sub for the Celtic game. I feel we need Energy in midfield for the game and not sure at the moment he could last the pace. 

Adrenaline should be enough to get him through the first 60mins. Sub him then if he's looking tired.

3 minutes ago, OhW said:

Hopefully you are proven wrong. 

"Blowing out his arse"

"Slower than a week in the jail"

People on here are worse than TV pundits for just repeating clichés they've heard others say. 

Proved spot on so far , but hopefully he gets better.

1 hour ago, Truth_is_out_there said:

Good points mate. I might be wrong, but if MW does decide to play both in the OF game, then this exactly the type of game that they will locve and thrive on. And with opposition doing most of the pressing from the start, I think their class and ability to pick a decent pass will work in our favour - especially with the pace of McKay, MOH etc. I We have a real chance, even if it's a 'snatch and grab' game for us! We just need our defence to be a bit more solid for us though this time...

Signing a commanding centre-half would be the making of this side, as well as having Waghorn back, who is a gem of player.

17 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

You would say that that Barton and Kranjcar have had their abilities so modified by age that what they could do a few years ago they can't do now? I don't agree, and neither do I agree with your proposition that because they play with different team mates they therefore cannot be in the same team. I see the potential that they are both growing into this midfield, arguably Kranjcar had his best performance so far against Kilmarnock, and Barton is performing much better than he is being given credit for; even in the Motherwell match he brought the best out of Barrie McKay, after McKay had a torrid first half- some of Barton's passes in that Motherwell second half, and in the Kilmarnock match were as good as anything anywhere. I think that's nonsense that they cannot play in the same team, especially for the reasons you give.

Yup, they might have. Alot can change in a few years apart. Both a couple of years older at a stage when that kind of timescale can make a difference. One of them hasn't played much in the last few years either. They might have had players around them who's qualities allowed Barton and Kranjcar to operate better together. They might have been in a different system with different management. Who's to say?

Whatever the case, when they're in our team, which is all that matters, really, it seems to me that we lack energy in the midfield when they're both there. I think it makes sense the way we play that we'll prosper when we have more youth and energy in the middle of the park than a team with Barton and Kranjcar will provide.

I'll add that I hope I'm wrong.

16 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

Signing a commanding centre-half would be the making of this side, as well as having Waghorn back, who is a gem of player.

I want to see Waghorn and Kranjcar in the same team, one can drop a pass on a sixpence and the other has the technical ability to maximize that type of pass and open up defenses.