Davie Cooper

bordersbear

5 hours ago, Gooseman said:

In oder to get a better understanding J would urge you to read "Coop"  davie Cooper was as truly exceptional as any player this country has ever produced.   If he was alive and playing today he would be spoken of in the same tones as bale and Ronaldo.  Both of these,  in my opinion,  would never get close to cooper in terms of skill. 

Cooper was under used,  ostracised and generally ignored by grieg for the simple reason that grieg was not a manager,  an outstanding captain and player but not managerial material at all.  

Behave yourself, Bale and Ronaldo or Davie Cooper ? Cooper was good but ffs not even close to those two,  but then again apart for Pele, Maradonna, and Messi not many others come close too those two either.

Cooper had a sweet left foot you could open a can with, but nowhere near these two 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Copland bear said:

Behave yourself, Bale and Ronaldo or Davie Cooper ? Cooper was good but ffs not even close to those two,  but then again apart for Pele, Maradonna, and Messi not many others come close too those two either.

Cooper had a sweet left foot you could open a can with, but nowhere near these two 

You've got your opinion I've got mine...  If Cooper was playing in his prime now,  he would be,  in my opinion, unplayable. This is based on current training techniques,  sports science and technology that just wasn't there at his time of playing.  Point of example is novak djokovic - currently the best tennis player in the world and has been for a few years now...  To get to this level He changed his diet,  training  etc.  Whereas previous he was pulling out of matches,  sluggish performances albeit still talented.  I'm not looking through blue tinted specs here,  he genuinely was that good. 

Just now, Gooseman said:

You've got your opinion I've got mine...  If Cooper was playing in his prime now,  he would be,  in my opinion, unplayable. This is based on current training techniques,  sports science and technology that just wasn't there at his time of playing.  Point of example is novak djokovic - currently the best tennis player in the world and has been for a few years now...  To get to this level He changed his diet,  training  etc.  Whereas previous he was pulling out of matches,  sluggish performances albeit still talented.  I'm not looking through blue tinted specs here,  he genuinely was that good. 

Cooper was lacking one thing and that was pace, Ronaldo and Bale have that in abundance and more.

These are players who have played and won the champion league, if your gonna say he is as good as someone then sorry to say these two and Messi are special and out of every modern players reach excluding Maradona

16 hours ago, dalton said:

I may have said this probably once before but the wing players this club has had been just amazing

A .Morton ,W.Waddell , W. Johnstone, D.Cooper, T.Mc Minn. B.Laudrup. Kanchelskis .N.Mc Cann ,

Not naming others that have played in that position - and  were many times the buissness

Mark Walters too. 

7 hours ago, Gooseman said:

In oder to get a better understanding J would urge you to read "Coop"  davie Cooper was as truly exceptional as any player this country has ever produced.   If he was alive and playing today he would be spoken of in the same tones as bale and Ronaldo.  Both of these,  in my opinion,  would never get close to cooper in terms of skill. 

Cooper was under used,  ostracised and generally ignored by grieg for the simple reason that grieg was not a manager,  an outstanding captain and player but not managerial material at all.  

I take it this is the most recent book about Cooper ?

If so you should perhaps look for the " Moody Blue " book from the 80's . In that book DC admits his attitude at times was questionable under Greig , including at one stage asking to be left out as he wasn't happy playing in a struggling team !

At the time I was upset to find out about his attitude but with the benefit of 30 odd years of hindsight I can understand it more . I also think that JG knew Cooper was capable of a lot more than he showed at times and perhaps was harder on DC than he was with others , and that led to resentment from Coop .

As said before in this thread , A wonderful talent who's attitude let him down at times but quite possibly made him the player he was .

23 hours ago, dalton said:

I may have said this probably once before but the wing players this club has had been just amazing

A .Morton ,W.Waddell , W. Johnstone, D.Cooper, T.Mc Minn. B.Laudrup. Kanchelskis .N.Mc Cann ,

Not naming others that have played in that position - and  were many times the buissness

Off the top of my head, I'd throw in Alex Scott, Willie Henderson, Davie Wilson, Tommy McLean, Bobby McKean, and Mark Walters to that list.

IMO there are few clubs in the world, if any, who have a greater record / tradition for playing great wingers than Rangers.