History Repeating Itself....

The Godfather

1 hour ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Neither does mw , he has a formation but thats it , i also think it speaks volumes when miller said he told them at half time to "find the solution" thats his fucking job

Of course he has.

His philosophy is to play an attacking possession based game

He's just not making it work

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

They didn't struggle in the championship though that's the point, they dominated that league until we beat Celt*c then the manager and players downed tools and since then have never picked them up again.

MW shouldn't be getting slack for that, he's the manager and the buck stops with him. He's refused for 8 months to change his tactics, style and methods despite things continuing to spiral downwards...that's not a Rangers manager...that is someone who doesn't understand the pressure and expectations at a club of our size.

He brought in players he wanted and said as much. Waghorn, Tav, Garner, Barton, Niko and so on who he wanted to build into his 'philosophy'. He maybe wanted better players but so does every other manager in the league and I don't see them complaining and making a big deal out of it. They get on with it and end up putting us on our arses.

I don't think I'm being unrealistic at all, I didn't expect to win the league or take it to the last games. I did expect however to not lose to some of the poorest sides in the league and see a manager refuse to change his stubborn ways just to save face on his way he thinks football should be played.

It's been 8 months...this isn't just a wee blip. Warburton has lost the confidence of his players, he doesn't understand the expectation we have and that is a recipe for disaster.

His time is running out and for the good of this football club he needs to go because King isn't going to give anyone £15 odd million to spend on players to suit a style of play that isn't working.

You make a lot of good points, but if I may, I'd like to concentrate mainly on your first and last paragraph: We did struggle in the Championship. But for a pivotal day where we drew with Alloa and Hibs lost to Livingston then that could have got very tight. Endlessly there was criticism of the side when we were in the Championship. Your last point is crucial, who, on these resources, is going to do a better job than Warburton; because it isn't just about the first eleven;,it's about the next five years etc. Deny it or not, but Warburton has a track record of developing players, and I think that is why he is here. Developing a team will bring inconsistency to a team; it is arguable that this team is consistently bad; I don't agree, I think this team has potential, if allowed to evolve. Can Warburton withstand the demands of Rangers, sadly I have my doubts; but I think if he goes because of this criticism, then we are being both unfair and unrealistic.

Every man and their dog can see that 4-3-3 is not working, its getting embarrassing now, even the players have lost faith in him, either he needs to change it or fucking walk.  The players don't even look like their enjoying playing under him now. Id take Smith to the end of the season for now ffs.

2 hours ago, ianferguson said:

Warburton has virtually no experience of managing and his football philosophy is totally naive and idealistic. His press conferences have become both benal and embarassing and sadly the fans will have to get rid of him for he can't and won't stop this inevitable car crash.

Spot on but the problem is that because we have bought into kings lies about spending x amount and going for 55 we have limited our options to force change. The past couple of home games it is noticeable that the crowd is dwindling but as it is mostly season tickets then it does not have the same effect as people just not going. Fans on here complain about the lack of atmosphere at ibrox(and I agree it is shite)but the main problem is that apart from a period last season we have been served up with some of the worst football imaginable for over 6 years now and it is not showing any signs of getting better. We have the most amazing support around but it is at times like this when cunts like King take us for mugs that loyalty can be a drawback. Talking to mates after that crap last night and we all agree it is like Groundhog Day and we are back to the mccoist era and it is just so depressing.

2 hours ago, The Godfather said:
2 hours ago, The Godfather said:

I’m going into every game now fearing the worst knowing we are not going to get a performance and our only hope is the opposition are having a worse day than us. It’s been 8 months of absolute drivel bar a few games against lower league opposition. Our record against the top 6 sides is embarrassing and surely has to be the worst in many a year in the top flight

I've seen good Rangers sides over the years go on a bad run and even poor Rangers sides struggle to get their performances up but never have I feared the opposition as much as I do these days.

We lack a goalscoring threat and leak simple goals so regularly that we will continue to struggle against every side we come up against.

10 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

Of course he has.

His philosophy is to play an attacking possession based game

He's just not making it work

I dont see any evidence of it , whats his philosophy on defending , on set pieces ? A philosophy needs too include every aspect of the game 

2 minutes ago, OhW said:

I don't understand people saying that Warburton's and the players' level is the Championship. Going by what we're seeing their level is clearly top 6 Premiership (which is nowhere near good enough obviously). Motherwell finished 5th in the Premiership last season; does that mean their level is the Championship?

It's not that easy to say that a player belongs to any definitive level, but many of the players in our squad, and not just marginal members either, struggled at times in the Championship.

I think warburton IS the man for the job HOWEVER it's times like this when we need a Walter Smith, Souness etc to have a word in Warbutons ear and tell him that it's not working out. This is a job davie weir is supposed to be doing but I can't see him changing Warburtons mind when it comes to formation and selection. The players we have are good enough to compete theres no doubt about that if they weren't then they wouldn't have outplayed Celtic last season and they wouldn't have been in the semi final of the league cup. If the formation can change with players who look hungry ie O'Halloran, Garner, Forrester, Wallace then we could beat any team on or day and I am that confident of that. We seen at the end of the McCoist era the 4-3-3 wasn't working, McCall came in with the same players as McCoist, changed it to a 3-5-2 and Rangers pushed to the Playoff finals again motherwell. Not saying we can't improve areas of the park ie RB, CB, GK but I definately think we can easily do better!

One more defeat against Celtic at Ibrox and surely that's it.  A new manager in by January with some new signings for a strong second half of the season.  We go again next year hopefully a lot better and able to challenge for the title.

2 minutes ago, SteveSmith92 said:

I think warburton IS the man for the job HOWEVER it's times like this when we need a Walter Smith, Souness etc to have a word in Warbutons ear and tell him that it's not working out. This is a job davie weir is supposed to be doing but I can't see him changing Warburtons mind when it comes to formation and selection. The players we have are good enough to compete theres no doubt about that if they weren't then they wouldn't have outplayed Celtic last season and they wouldn't have been in the semi final of the league cup. If the formation can change with players who look hungry ie O'Halloran, Garner, Forrester, Wallace then we could beat any team on or day and I am that confident of that. We seen at the end of the McCoist era the 4-3-3 wasn't working, McCall came in with the same players as McCoist, changed it to a 3-5-2 and Rangers pushed to the Playoff finals again motherwell. Not saying we can't improve areas of the park ie RB, CB, GK but I definately think we can easily do better!

1. They would not be on his budget.

2. Really? No doubt whatsoever that we have the players to compete for the title, over a season, and for every competition? I have my doubts about that. Yes, some can and will develop, but not right now, and not this entire squad.

4 minutes ago, SteveSmith92 said:

After 8 months of poor performances and results a word in the ear shouldn't really be required in football management.

Warburton isn't an idiot, he is a smart man so will know himself things are not working but it's his refusal to adapt or change that is the real problem...Walter Smith or Souness wont be changing that regardless.

2 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

One more defeat against Celtic at Ibrox and surely that's it.  A new manager in by January with some new signings for a strong second half of the season.  We go again next year hopefully a lot better and able to challenge for the title.

I'm more bothered by poor results against teams I'd (with good reason) expect us to beat than the result against a team I hope but don't expect to beat.

17 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Or they would be enough to reflect where this club is at this present moment in time? Is it really that easy for you?

Yes it is enough for me too see that the players we brought in are pish .Are you than saying you are sastified with the  summer signings. Excuse me but I'm currently in the q.e hospital bored out my fucking mind if you think his brought well I think I'm going chock on this fuckin so called diner your be sendin me too the fuckin morgue 

3 hours ago, The Godfather said:

Is anyone else getting the feelings they had when we were entering the final months of the McCoist era?

We have a manager who is stubborn to the point he’s willing to sacrifice results so he can protect his football philosophy despite it being shown up to be stupidly naïve. Like under McCoist I don’t trust his judgment one bit, we are at the point where we have been playing garbage football for nearly the majority of his tenure. It’s all well and good lording it up in the second tier but we look every bit a side that has just come up, guys like Tav have been shown up to be average footballers who can’t take it up a level. I’m not sure if a new manager would get them to a better standard or their level truly is the championship.

I’m going into every game now fearing the worst knowing we are not going to get a performance and our only hope is the opposition are having a worse day than us. It’s been 8 months of absolute drivel bar a few games against lower league opposition. Our record against the top 6 sides is embarrassing and surely has to be the worst in many a year in the top flight.

The writing is on the wall and I fear we are just going to trudge on until the end of the season getting embarrassed by the likes of the tims and co while our owners and manager piss about making excuse after excuse.

We need investment but we also need it to be spent wisely, do we trust MW to do that based on what he has brought in so far? Do we back a manager with a piss poor record in important games with money that will define the next few seasons?

King has some thinking to do and I fear he will choose what’s best for his wallet over what’s best for Rangers….again.

Good post GF?

1 minute ago, loyal said:

Yes it is enough for me too see that the players we brought in are pish .Are you than saying you are sastified with the  summer signings. Excuse me but I'm currently in the q.e hospital bored out my fucking mind if you think his brought well I think I'm going chock on this fuckin so called diner your be sendin me too the fuckin morgue 

I never said I was satisfied, I was implying that it isn't just a case of Warburton signing players who are not good enough. I think the context is that the manager has to sign those players through certain limitations. Hope you get well soon.(tu)

1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

1. They would not be on his budget.

2. Really? No doubt whatsoever that we have the players to compete for the title, over a season, and for every competition? I have my doubts about that. Yes, some can and will develop, but not right now, and not this entire squad.

Walter Smith done well with what he had but he knew what it takes to win games that he had to win regardless if he had money or not. It would be harder don't get me wrong but you can only play with the cards your dealt.

As for the squad we have players who can play football and can win games they done it last season against teams like Kilmarnock, Dundee, Celtic with what he had. Maybe not competing for the title but definitely against teams like Hearts and Aberdeen to get 2nd and get euro football. We seen earlier in the season against Aberdeen apparently based on the way we had been playing we were going to go up there and get destroyed, we didnt, we lost a goal in the last minute to a cracking freekick but was that another squad or the same squad from last night?  

Since 2012 we've been the laughing stock of Scottish Football bar last season and even that ended in huge disappointment.

I've said it already that I think we're well and truly fucked no matter what road we go down now.

Warburton stays and by some miracle it gets better or he goes and where is the money coming from to challenge the filth?

The future looks as morbid as it ever was :power_of_anguish:

1 minute ago, SteveSmith92 said:

Walter Smith done well with what he had but he knew what it takes to win games that he had to win regardless if he had money or not. It would be harder don't get me wrong but you can only play with the cards your dealt.

As for the squad we have players who can play football and can win games they done it last season against teams like Kilmarnock, Dundee, Celtic with what he had. Maybe not competing for the title but definitely against teams like Hearts and Aberdeen to get 2nd and get euro football. We seen earlier in the season against Aberdeen apparently based on the way we had been playing we were going to go up there and get destroyed, we didnt, we lost a goal in the last minute to a cracking freekick but was that another squad or the same squad from last night?  

Pedro Mendes, Stevie Davis, Jelavic, Naismith, Cuellar...will I go on? Doing it in one-off games is a far cry from competing in a title.Brian Clough always regarded his league title wins higher than any other achievement, because they were, according to him, a test of a whole club, not just the playing staff. We have players who can play now and again, we do not have a squad, or a club, at this moment in time, to win a league. That is important for me to say, because as I've said before, the real implication of this criticism of Warburton is that we are not challenging for the title.

2 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Pedro Mendes, Stevie Davis, Jelavic, Naismith, Cuellar...will I go on? Doing it in one-off games is a far cry from competing in a title.Brian Clough always regarded his league title wins higher than any other achievement, because they were, according to him, a test of a whole club, not just the playing staff. We have players who can play now and again, we do not have a squad, or a club, at this moment in time, to win a league. That is important for me to say, because as I've said before, the real implication of this criticism of Warburton is that we are not challenging for the title.

I agree with the statement about not being able to win a league but neither do teams like Aberdeen or Hearts have a squad to win the title but when they come up against a top half team they can compete and win games like that. Doing it in 1 off games is a far cry from winning a title however it shows they can win these games that we aren't winning at the moment. When rangers came up I'd have loved for them to challenge for the title but it's not the case 

Just now, SteveSmith92 said:

I agree with the statement about not being able to win a league but neither do teams like Aberdeen or Hearts have a squad to win the title but when they come up against a top half team they can compete and win games like that. Doing it in 1 off games is a far cry from winning a title however it shows they can win these games that we aren't winning at the moment. When rangers came up I'd have loved for them to challenge for the title but it's not the case 

Playing for Rangers is different. The pressure of playing for Rangers, alone, is different from playing for those other clubs. It's not always based on ability as well; many players have come to Rangers with good football reputations and failed. I referred to Jock Wallace earlier, and how he recognised that heavily in the teams he built and tried to build here. It's an important facet to recognise when we compare our players to that of other clubs.

20 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

23 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I never said I was satisfied, I was implying that it isn't just a case of Warburton signing players who  not good enough. I think the context is that the manager has to sign those players through  limitations. Hope you get well soon.(tu)

I think Warburton is out of his depth he panicked into buying players last summer no central defender which was essential because kiernan and Wilson are simply not got enough than he panics into buying sendoros  remember his first press conference when he said he wanted hungry young players that added value and every pound must add value on and off the pitch

Than he buys a load off geriatrics that wouldn't look out of place in deanfield nursing home than his philosophy of football of 4-3-3 days isn't working Barcelona have pique Alba and Digne we have sendoros kiernen and Wilson who simply are uncomfortable with the ball playing out 

3 hours ago, the brown brogue said:

Given the inexplicable decision to hand Kenny McDowall the job when McCoist binned it, I wouldn't trust King to look any further than Davie Weir if Warburton is given his jotters.

But as King doesnt really care all that much IMO, I think we'll stutter on this season, hope for the best and if we do finish 2nd (regardless if its by 20 points or 1 goal) then it'll be a pat on the back for Warburton, a summer of signing more cheapo shite and a short European 'adventure' to some far flung place to look forward to.

Frying pan into the fire, Weirs only experience was about 8 games and sacked.