Sir Walter Smith calls out King

Smile

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see its Willie Henderson's turn in the press today to turn up a bit of heat on the lack of investment, and to post a warning (The Times - page 25 'I think Warburton likes being at Rangers').

He thinks no other manager could have done better than Mark Warburton.   He warns that unless there is a hard cash investment for the club to spend on players then its going to be tough for the next few years.   He can't see any way of stopping C..... doing 10 in a row.   He concludes that it comes down to money.  Rangers can't spend the money that C.... spend.

Another shot across the bows aimed at King, to join the shots aimed by Walter Smith in  newspaper articles earlier this week?    Arguably 'yes'.   No coincidence perhaps that respected big Rangers names have lined up to go into print on the need for investment to obtain better players.  

But also an exercise in conditioning the Support to expect years of waiting before a team can be assembled that is good enough to win 55, even if Warburton stays on beyond his current contract because its not looking like it will happen in his current contract term.    

Maybe - perversely - a message that its going to take some time for 55 might actually suit King.  Why?  Because he can cite big Rangers names as giving out clear and loud warnings that under present investment circumstances its not likely we will get to 55 anytime soon.......with King then being able to respond in due course that there is no alternative because there is no more money likely to be available in the foreseeable future than the funds raised from ST sales, player sales and soft loans.   In other words he can simply state that its a fact of Rangers financial life and use the messages from Smith and Henderson as conditioners to expect a long haul. 

I doubt if it will stop King from picking up a big chunk of blame though if 55 takes a long time - maybe even beyond our 150.  The charge will be - what did you do, could you have done, should you have done to generate materially more investment money to obtain the quality of player needed to win 55.  

On 1/10/2017 at 4:02 PM, Senex said:

The bheasts put themselves into a holding pattern while we were away, that much is true but this:

...is already their corporate strategy and has been for the past six or years or so. Every year where they failed to make the CL group stages, they covered the loss to break even or make a profit by selling an asset they brought in for buttons (van Dijk, Wanyama etc.).

The point here is we aren't outmanoeuvring them by adopting this strategy and it isn't "our method"; it's basically the only way you can run a large club in Scotland these days and those cunts have a head start in implementing it. The problem we have is that for this approach to be effective, it requires significant investment; investment in the scouting set-up to find these players, significant funding to ensure you're buying assets that will actually be profitable and the money to lure them here and - importantly - a large enough budget to absorb the cost of the ones that don't make it. Farting around with loan deals and rolling the dice on kids on the periphery isn't going to cut it; you need the financial backing to be able to go out and secure top-level young talent that big clubs already know about and offer them first team experience and development, simply because the risk is so much lower and it's less of a lottery.

It IS a marathon and not a sprint but the problem is we don't have time for a fucking marathon. We need money now.

fair point well made

Just now, Reformation Bear said:

I see its Willie Henderson's turn in the press today to turn up a bit of heat on the lack of investment, and to post a warning (The Times - page 25 'I think Warburton likes being at Rangers').

He thinks no other manager could have done better than Mark Warburton.   He warns that unless there is a hard cash investment for the club to spend on players then its going to be tough for the next few years.   He can't see any way of stopping C..... doing 10 in a row.   He concludes that it comes down to money.  Rangers can't spend the money that C.... spend.

Another shot across the bows aimed at King, to join the shots aimed by Walter Smith in  newspaper articles earlier this week?    Arguably 'yes'.   No coincidence perhaps that respected big Rangers names have lined up to go into print on the need for investment to obtain better players.  

But also an exercise in conditioning the Support to expect years of waiting before a team can be assembled that is good enough to win 55, even if Warburton stays on beyond his current contract because its not looking like it will happen in his current contract term.    

Maybe - perversely - a message that its going to take some time for 55 might actually suit King.  Why?  Because he can cite big Rangers names as giving out clear and loud warnings that under present investment circumstances its not likely we will get to 55 anytime soon.......with King then being able to respond in due course that there is no alternative because there is no more money likely to be available in the foreseeable future than the funds raised from ST sales, player sales and soft loans.   In other words he can simply state that its a fact of Rangers financial life and use the messages from Smith and Henderson as conditioners to expect a long haul. 

I doubt if it will stop King from picking up a big chunk of blame though if 55 takes a long time - maybe even beyond our 150.  The charge will be - what did you do, could you have done, should you have done to generate materially more investment money to obtain the quality of player needed to win 55.  

Hopefully, there is something going on maybe even a consortium of Real Ranger men and not this Generic brand we have now.

On 1/10/2017 at 4:03 PM, Hutton2008 said:

Exactly. Quite a read, but you my friend have made the most sense on the subject.

cheers, your man Senex up above made some good points that i did not consider. its tricky when you discuss anything to do with a football club, because a football club is a part of your family, your culture your history and your life, so you look at it with passion, its hard to take a step back and try and look at things for everyone.

Everything Walter says, when you consider it carefully, is well balanced and from a football and financial perspective makes sense. It's hard to imagine what alternatives there exist other than significant investment in the team eventually. We are developing a youth structure and a scouting structure for the long term, but that should compliment investment in the first team and not preclude it. 

If they get 10 in a row and the present board still happen to be around - they will forever be know as the people who let it happen on their watch. All this "we saved the club" stuff will be just so much ancient history. They will be overnight pariahs.

I dunno why though, (well i say that but obviously the recent press articles and walters interview have got me thinking)  but I feel somethings afoot behind the scenes

4 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

If they get 10 in a row and the present board still happen to be around - they will forever be know as the people who let it happen on their watch. All this "we saved the club" stuff will be just so much ancient history. They will be overnight pariahs.

I dunno why though, (well i say that but obviously the recent press articles and walters interview have got me thinking)  but I feel somethings afoot behind the scenes

If we don't win 55 before we reach our 150th year can you imagine the tension in that 150 season, and the pressure that would be on King and the Board if they are still around at that time?   It would be bound to be massive pressure, with blame being well and truly allocated.    Of course if he (King) can't generate enough investment money and if Warburton (or whoever is managing Rangers in the run up to 150) have not been able to craft a title winning team by then its possible King might step aside to try to dodge blame and leave it to his successors to manage that storm.   

Far far better if the financial conditions can be created to make a lot more money available to acquire players who, when added to development players can gel to make a 55-winning team before the other lot get 10 and certainly before our 150.  Easy to say, but I guess a lot harder to do unless a very different approach can be found to financing the Club on a sustainable basis and /or there is a shift into cross-border leagues with more TV money.

19 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

I would honestly say this board will be lucky to get one more season as even their most Ardent Supporters are starting to see through all the hype. I think if they ditched King who's mouth has caused them no end of problems and ran us so the support could actually see and know what was going on they would have a chance of staying longer.

Get rid of all the Hangers on as well these greedy bastards are just taking money away from the club.

17 hours ago, Creampuff said:

IMG_7009.GIF

IMG_6957.GIF

17 hours ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

Resorting to memes like the social reject you are not even intelligent enough to use words but need to resort to stupid pictures.

So for once I will stoop to your level.

93ca2785582a47c55512560ef77bad49.jpg

That is one of the funny things that move me to click on these pages.
Quite sure 10 mins from both posts you were both chuckling at this tete-a-tete.
That was the funniest I have seen for a while (seriously):rofl: