Pivotal Moment

scotty1976

I've not posted anything on here for a while, but maybe as a therapy after another tough week reading over-sensationalised Rangers-kicking pish in the press all weekend I thought I'd type some nonsense and hope there's some like minded bears out there.

I'm disappointed. Like most supporters I really wantedit to work for Warburton. Until this week it appeared that he had the class and displayed the conduct and respect befitting of a Rangers manager. And who doesn't buy into the ethos of attractive passing football. So, it is a disappointment that for some unknown reason the swagger and togetherness which epitomised last season appears to have been replaced by slow, predictable and disjointed performances. 

However, as much as it is a disappointment to be where we are now, this is a pivotal moment.

There is one pathway the board can take which entails a cost effective appointment and shopping in the bargain basement.  That option will surely cause long term disappointment and confirm the worst fears of some that King has been feeding us pish for the last couple of years.

Then there's the other pathway. At the height of our swagger, when we believed in the magic hat, We gave C****c a proper wake up call. Years of taking the cheap option threatened to make 55 a reality this year. Having sat up and taken notice, they have upped the ante with a big name manager (by Scottish football standards) and invested reasonably in their squad. So, it doesn't take a genius to work out what we need to do to get back to our rightful place at the top of Scottish football.  We need to speculate to accumulate without going back to the days of recklessness.

If an interim measure is required I can live with that. McLeish or dare I say it Davies on the provision that it's until the end of the season. These guys can both steady the ship but I don't think they can take us forwards. At this pivotal moment, we need to see the club take the right pathway. We need a credible name, and to appropriately resource a credible name, with the ability to attract the right standard of players and to get the team playing the brand of attractive attacking football we hoped Warburton could provide. But most importantly a manager who knows what it takes to be a Ranger.  Who knows how to win.

De Boer looks a good option to me. A lower standard would be accepting the shadow.

If I was King I'd be asking any prospective manager, whether it's interim or not, can they do anything with the current squad, can he change anything, can he polish a turd ?

Even De Boer might look at what we've got and say it's a lost cause.

End of day we'll get what King gives us.

13 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

If I was King I'd be asking any prospective manager, whether it's interim or not, can they do anything with the current squad, can he change anything, can he polish a turd ?

Which is why this is the current board's opportunity to prove the doubters wrong and if a new manager needs significant support to enhance or build a squad provide that support.

otherwise the message is clear - the board is content to live in the shadow which is completely at odds with 100% of the support and with where our club should be.

de boer will not come to rangers we are living in cloud cuckoo land if we think that

we need someone who knows the scottish game and can make the players know what it needs to play for rangers

also while i dont want to fill the team with hammer throwers we must get some strenght and physicality in the team

this might not be a good quality league but it is tough and our team at the moment is filled with soft touches

40 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

His brother said that, he said Frank would make the decision on whether to come to any club based on several factors - one of them being will the current players fit into what he's wanting to do, and if not will there be money to finance the change.

So I really think the De Boer things should stop as on the face of it looks very unlikely.

Good post OP.

I'd agree this is a pivotal moment, I genuinely think the decision on the next permanent manager will be the difference between us having a chance of stopping 10 in a row or none.

If we consider that they have a squad worth a considerable value, internationalists a plenty, cash to spend, a capable manager, probable cash to come from CL football and the bit between their teeth to get 10.......... let's just say our new man won't be starting from a position of strength.

So unless we're going to outspend the filth (we can't and wont) then we'll need a very special manager to come in and do it on the cheap. Does such a manager even exist? That's if we genuinely want to take them on which I'm not even sure we will next season, I'd imagine it will be more about closing the gap- regardless of any strap line given for ST sales.

Sad times.

28 minutes ago, billscott said:

de boer will not come to rangers we are living in cloud cuckoo land if we think that

we need someone who knows the scottish game and can make the players know what it needs to play for rangers

also while i dont want to fill the team with hammer throwers we must get some strenght and physicality in the team

this might not be a good quality league but it is tough and our team at the moment is filled with soft touches

I would still like to see us play attractive football - but agree fully that we need a bit of physical presence to compliment that.

In terms of the manager, I think that De Boer or someone of that standard is what is needed to take us to the level we need to be at. You may be right that this is living in cloud cuckoo land - if that's the case we will end up settling for second best for a long time.  It is for the board to prove those who (not without justification) are sceptical wrong.

2 hours ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

If Warburton can get this lot to 2nd place think what a  motivated manager can do.  I reckon Warburton downed tools.

26 minutes ago, Boybluesy said:

If Warburton can get this lot to 2nd place think what a  motivated manager can do.  I reckon Warburton downed tools.

I'm not sure he downed tools I just think he didnt understand. Pumped 4-1 by hearts and he says "we've lost another game of football" like it's no big deal.

Too big for him and he was too stubborn. A good coach that just couldnt handle the pressure of Rangers, thousands would be the same.

3 hours ago, billscott said:

I'm not so sure. Budget will be a factor to any manager, De Boer will be attracted to working daily at Auchenhowie and has spoken passionately about the potential for Rangers to emulate the Ajax development model. I seem to recall he did so because he believed the facility was not setup for effective youth development. 

The Dutch game is very physical but they can still produce players and teams of exceptional quality. I think De Boer would relish taking Rangers into Europe especially, which would do the profile of all parties no harm whatsoever. 

36 minutes ago, Drum said:

I'm not so sure. Budget will be a factor to any manager, De Boer will be attracted to working daily at Auchenhowie and has spoken passionately about the potential for Rangers to emulate the Ajax development model. I seem to recall he did so because he believed the facility was not setup for effective youth development. 

The Dutch game is very physical but they can still produce players and teams of exceptional quality. I think De Boer would relish taking Rangers into Europe especially, which would do the profile of all parties no harm whatsoever. 

I would love love you to be right - but also agree with a few of the comments regarding the need to support a high profile manager with a decent budget.

The absolutely grim reality of our situation at present is I don't think the manager selection is pivotal, unless we have happen to get lucky as fuck and bring in some magician of a man who somehow manages to uncover some world class talent for next to no money. 

The truth is we're on a steady decline downwards due to incompetent,  archaic mercenaries who've been running us for some time now.