Jump to content

Parking at Ibrox


Don81
 Share

Recommended Posts

There was talk last year of parking being banned in  the roads around Ibrox on match days by the wankers at Gcc. Anyone know if this is happening or not? Have looked online and can't find any updates. Don't want to arrive on Thursday to find all the roads blocked. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 minutes ago, blueretro said:

It wasn't supposed to start until August. I'm not sure if it's still going ahead

You are correct on both counts.

Usual parking for Thursday ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Bearsden bear said:

Anyone who lives around Govan know if the parking restrictions are going ahead? And if so will it start before our game next month?

Not going ahead at the moment, below is from evening times on 5th July

 

PLANS to hit Old Firm fans with parking restrictions at city stadiums will not come into force at the start of the new football season.

Glasgow City Council confirmed that a formal consultation process is still to be implemented before the parking ban proposal at Ibrox and Parkhead stadiums is considered.

The Evening Times Previously reported that a 1km parking ban could be introduced at the stadiums in a bid to prevent supporters parking on residents bays on match days.

Under the proposals, the council said the zone would be in place at stadiums three hours before the event starts and up to one hour after it finishes.

Residents living within the dedicated zone would need to apply for parking permits.

During the last football season, residents were invited to submit their views as part of an informal consultation process.

Glasgow City Council say, however, that following these initial engagement sessions, they have revised their proposals.

The local authority will now be engaging once again with local stakeholders prior to commencing the formal process, which will include a public consultation.

The process can take up to a year and there is no guarantee that the parking controls at the stadiums will be implemented.

The restrictions are, however, currently in place at the national stadium Hampden Park.

The Evening Times previously reported on calls for the parking ban to be extended beyond a 1km radius in the East End.

Calton councillor Greg Hepburn wanted Glasgow City Council to extend the current 1km proposal of a parking ban to areas including Calton, Bridgeton and the rest of Dalmarnock.

He believed failure to do so would only encourage Celtic supporters to park in these areas due to the proposed ban around the stadium.

We also previously reported that both Celtic FC and Rangers fan group Club 1872 have hit out at the scheme.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our support must spend spend tens of millions of pounds in the Glasgow econonomy each year and all GCC want to do is to make it harder for people to go to games and fine car users at every opportunity.

All this whilst the city centre pollution levels are sky high and they ignore the problem. If they'd put more effort into making the city's air cleaner and actually welcoming visitors they wouldn't need to resort to harassing people contributing to the local economy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Our support must spend spend tens of millions of pounds in the Glasgow econonomy each year and all GCC want to do is to make it harder for people to go to games and fine car users at every opportunity.

All this whilst the city centre pollution levels are sky high and they ignore the problem. If they'd put more effort into making the city's air cleaner and actually welcoming visitors they wouldn't need to resort to harassing people contributing to the local economy.

I think it's probably more about making sure residents can get parked near their homes on matchdays, and I can see why these people are pissed off. It would also help ease the after match traffic chaos which grinds the whole area to a standstill for an hour or so. However, the problem with these parking restrictions is usually that you just move the problem elsewhere. For example, they recently introduced parking restrictions around Byres Rd for residents, but all they did was move the parking problem to Partick instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FSM said:

I think it's probably more about making sure residents can get parked near their homes on matchdays, and I can see why these people are pissed off. It would also help ease the after match traffic chaos which grinds the whole area to a standstill for an hour or so. However, the problem with these parking restrictions is usually that you just move the problem elsewhere. For example, they recently introduced parking restrictions around Byres Rd for residents, but all they did was move the parking problem to Partick instead.

I usually park in the dumbreck area and most of the houses have massive driveways and cars are hardly ever parked on the streets, so in this area it was a joke, not saying there are not some areas that it will be bad, but to just do a blanket 1km zone seems a bit much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ferris Bueller said:

I usually park in the dumbreck area and most of the houses have massive driveways and cars are hardly ever parked on the streets, so in this area it was a joke, not saying there are not some areas that it will be bad, but to just do a blanket 1km zone seems a bit much.

True, but I think the lion's share of the 1km zone will be residents with on-street parking. There's an argument to be made that it's only for a few hours every other week (and the odd midweek night), so maybe the residents are over-reacting a bit and should maybe just plan around it. I still sympathise though, i wouldn't want to be lugging my shopping for half a mile because I couldn't get parked outside the house.

Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, FSM said:

I think it's probably more about making sure residents can get parked near their homes on matchdays, and I can see why these people are pissed off. It would also help ease the after match traffic chaos which grinds the whole area to a standstill for an hour or so. However, the problem with these parking restrictions is usually that you just move the problem elsewhere. For example, they recently introduced parking restrictions around Byres Rd for residents, but all they did was move the parking problem to Partick instead.

They were planning to charge residents 50 pounds plus for an annual parking permit per car. The locals aren't happy to say the least.

The land where the high flats used to be near Ibrox are owned by the council. Turn that into a car park (and any other derelict land) and help alleviate the problem I say.

People come from all over the world to watch Rangers and the council seem intent on turning them away.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CF2 WINNIE said:

We've been banned from dropping off at side of Albion car park, police gave couple warnings then phoned bus company anymore drop offs there they'd be fined. Joke

Get held up regularly by vehicles stopping there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...