On This Day

Don54

5 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Not quite, the pendulum went back and forth a couple of times with McLeish's teams before Walter's return and three in a row and the the UEFA final run.

It was the financial meltdown and the appointment if McCoist which was the watershed.

Not sure about that.  We've won the league 5 times since O'Neill came in and every one of them could have went either way apart from 09/10 when Mowbray was taig manager.

If it wasn't for out scoring them on the last day in 02/03 and helicopter Sunday our record since 2000 would look pretty grim.  Just shows how good a job Walter did.

11 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Not sure about that.  We've won the league 5 times since O'Neill came in and every one of them could have went either way apart from 09/10 when Mowbray was taig manager.

If it wasn't for out scoring them on the last day in 02/03 and helicopter Sunday our record since 2000 would look pretty grim.  Just shows how good a job Walter did.

Yeah in some ways we were punching above our weight slightly in those years but we still did win the league five times as you say and we still did have some players who we could only dream about today.

I think the balance started to tilt in their direction around the OP's game but we were in the mix right up to 11/12. That's when the real tectonic shift started and even then you could argue that if McCoist had been a halfway decent manager we'd of won the league that season (despite the 10 point penalty) as well given the fact we were double figures points ahead well into the season.

5 hours ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Flo was a quality signing at the time, yes the benefit of  hindsight about the 12m fee is a lazy argument in my opinion. However, that was what he was worth at the time, and when he was playing for Chelsea he was a top class player - the ball to feet in the box and finish was sublime. I still say he was worth the cost of 12m at the time of signing, as we needed to push on in Europe. Sadly it never worked out, but we wasted way over 12 m on total duds and it is unfair to single him out.

We got neatly £7m back on him I think, but he was not the big target man and needed a better team around him to succeed