On This Day

Don54

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

What a nice strip that was though.

I had mine with Number 9 on the back. Out the Soccer Shop or whatever it was called on Sauchiehall Street. Happy days.

My favorite Nike kit was the one with the red in it. Season 01/02.

11 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It’s pretty difficult. Even watching shit from the 2010/11 season is difficult.

I remember how unbelievably happy I felt after winning the league at Rugby Park that season. It still astounds me what has happened since. 

Just now, Captain Hilts said:

I remember how unbelievably happy I felt after winning the league at Rugby Park that season. It still astounds me what has happened since. 

I watched that in my mates house and got a bit teary.

I enjoyed that season more than any other perhaps apart from 07/08. I didn’t get to a single game cause I was overseas but it was just magic watching every game on Rangers TV.

That team had a lot of fight and it’s especially difficult watching it back knowing half the team became deserters.

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I watched that in my mates house and got a bit teary.

I enjoyed that season more than any other perhaps apart from 07/08. I didn’t get to a single game cause I was overseas but it was just magic watching every game on Rangers TV.

That team had a lot of fight and it’s especially difficult watching it back knowing half the team became deserters.

I think alot of fans, including myself, though we'd chucked the league away after Christmas that year which made it even more sweet.

Remember this as the first game we watched in my mates house extension, a purpose built Rangers bar in Springboig complete with bar and full size snooker table. Every time I went for a piss we scored. Bastards ended up locking me in the bog in the hope we'd hit double figures :lol: 

Flo was a quality signing at the time, yes the benefit of  hindsight about the 12m fee is a lazy argument in my opinion. However, that was what he was worth at the time, and when he was playing for Chelsea he was a top class player - the ball to feet in the box and finish was sublime. I still say he was worth the cost of 12m at the time of signing, as we needed to push on in Europe. Sadly it never worked out, but we wasted way over 12 m on total duds and it is unfair to single him out.

1 minute ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Flo was a quality signing at the time, yes the benefit not hindsight about the 12m fee. However, that as what he was worth, and when he was playing for Chelsea he was a top class player - the ball to feet in the box and finish was sublime. I still say he was worth the cost of 12m at the time of signing, as we needed to push on in Europe. Sadly it never worked out, but we wasted way over 12 m on total duds and it is unfair to single him out.

We did get a decent portion of the fee back as well if I remember right.

I remember it so well. 

What really brings it home is how good a team they had, their team then would have taken 10 off today's "invincibles", and we destroyed them.

Just yet another reminder of how far we've fallen.

58 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Flo was a quality signing at the time, yes the benefit of  hindsight about the 12m fee is a lazy argument in my opinion. However, that was what he was worth at the time, and when he was playing for Chelsea he was a top class player - the ball to feet in the box and finish was sublime. I still say he was worth the cost of 12m at the time of signing, as we needed to push on in Europe. Sadly it never worked out, but we wasted way over 12 m on total duds and it is unfair to single him out.

think his average in his 3 full seasons at Chelsea was a goal every 3 games, thats not too shabby in EPL terms, mind you they only paid 300k for him. when you consider Chelsea had already signed his replacement in Gudjohnsen for 4.5m, who had as similar sort of goal return, but was arguably a better player, then it suggests it mibbe wasn't such a good deal for us.

A 12m striker in those days was Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink territory, he'd have ripped shit up up here.

38 minutes ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

think his average in his 3 full seasons at Chelsea was a goal every 3 games, thats not too shabby in EPL terms, mind you they only paid 300k for him. when you consider Chelsea had already signed his replacement in Gudjohnsen for 4.5m, who had as similar sort of goal return, but was arguably a better player, then it suggests it mibbe wasn't such a good deal for us.

A 12m striker in those days was Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink territory, he'd have ripped shit up up here.

It was never about us wanting or needing Flo from a playing perspective. It was all about David Murray putting down a marker based on his "you spend a fiver, we'll spend a tenner" strategy, which I and pretty much every other fan lapped up at the time.

But you're absolutely right, if we were committed to spending that kind of money there were many better options with JFH being a good example.

22 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

That game aside we were utter rotten that season.  That season was when the balance of power shifted in Scottish football and, being honest, hasn't really shifted back apart from a brief period under Walter.

Not quite, the pendulum went back and forth a couple of times with McLeish's teams before Walter's return and three in a row and the the UEFA final run.

It was the financial meltdown and the appointment if McCoist which was the watershed.