Pressing

King_gazza

None more so than Candeias, the guy looks like he runs on electric. Never stops. He makes lung bursting runs to put pressure on and it’s so good for the team because it hurries the opposition into making poor decisions or just lumping it down the park. As a team we look in much better condition. 

2 minutes ago, King_gazza said:

Thought our pressing of the ball when they had it was outstanding still going at it in the 80th min.

Looks like our new fitness coach is working wonders so far.

Exactly what i said to a lad at the work, our work rate when we don't have the ball is night and day from last season

5 minutes ago, King_gazza said:

Thought our pressing of the ball when they had it was outstanding still going at it in the 80th min.

Looks like our new fitness coach is working wonders so far.

It's not just about increased fitness it's a tactic we're trying to employ.  The 4-3-3 high pressing system is something Gerrard has surely picked up from his time coaching at Liverpool.  I'm glad he's trying to implement it here and think we're in for a very exciting season. 

It's the biggest positive iv seen from the Gerrard era. We might not have the money the tarriers do but if we press like that all season then we have a chance. Was proven last season they don't like it when teams get in their face and that seems to be our game plan. We just need to improve our final balls and finishing but I'm pretty confident that'll come with time 

7 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I like Jamie Murphy but much like Windass I’m not sure where he fits in now. He’s not quick enough to play the sort of pressing game that we want to play now and he’s already looking like he’s going to be a bit of a luxury player for us this season.

Really weird that we exercised the option to buy tbh since I agree I don’t think he fits in the system now unless he plays instead of Ejaria in the middle of the pitch 

The pressing is great but when we win the ball off them we need to know what to do. How many times were we 3 on 2 or 4 on 3 against the Croats? We should have scored at least 2 of those opportunities. I don't think they have worked on that in training based on what I have seen (and I am obviously an expert I know). We need to watch some tapes of Liverpool on how to take advantage of these situations.

40 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I like Jamie Murphy but much like Windass I’m not sure where he fits in now. He’s not quick enough to play the sort of pressing game that we want to play now and he’s already looking like he’s going to be a bit of a luxury player for us this season.

I’ll be honest, I find it a really strange signing. I just haven’t taken to him at all. I think he looks slow and weak and like you say doesn’t really seem to fit the mould we seem to be building. Hope to be proven wrong.