A Case For The Defence...

StaunchLondonGer

6 minutes ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

Never thought I'd say this but I'd probably have the wee fucker back. He's the quality we need Judus cunt or not.

we have nothing near his level in our midfield but I'm not sure how him coming back would work after the interview with Whittaker.

5 minutes ago, Smile said:

we have nothing near his level in our midfield but I'm not sure how him coming back would work after the interview with Whittaker.

players couldn't care less. It would obviously be hard to stomach for us, but if he could turn the tide against the scum right now I'd probably fucking swallow it. He was my favourite player before the betrayal, he could turn games.

Naismith is absolutely pish, a couple of good games for hearts doesn't change that. Stamping on Browns balls is the most significant thing he's done in years. A two year loan spell from Norwich city tells you how good he is.

I wouldn't have him anywhere near our midfield, whether he done that interview or not.

3 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Hibs have took more points off them than us since we've been back up as well

Yup, again because Hibs get up in their face and don't lie deep. 

1 hour ago, Smile said:

Naismith dominated their midfield against them.

Exactly, and that's what we missed yesterday. The amount of space Brown was getting was stupid. It doesn't take a genius to see he's the main enabler for their plays. Aye he just passes the ball side to side, but those connecting passes just stretch the game and gives them options. and as they push forward he comes further forward and then we're in our own final third and he's able to string these simple passes under no pressure and stretch the defence.

Having someone tight to him, man marking him the fuck out the game hurts celtic because then they start relying on long balls up the pitch and they can't operate like that. Which is exactly what celtic did against us yesterday. Pressed us, forced errors and long balls up at which point they get onto the 2nd ball because our whole team bar Lafferty and Morelos is in our half, then start their push onto us again. 

We've done it effectively against teams before and that's what was missing. Arfield, Jack, Halliday and McCrorie can all fill this role. Go out on the field, stay tight to Brown and you'll see a visible difference in celtics play. The defence can handle their forwards just fine(exception being Tav of course but that's why you start Candias and play with 1 up front). because they won't be getting the ball in our half from a pass from brown and being able to run at our defence. They'd be instead trying to get onto the end of a long ball punted up the park and it takes their midfield out of the game. 

3 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Yup, again because Hibs get up in their face and don't lie deep. 

Exactly, and that's what we missed yesterday. The amount of space Brown was getting was stupid. It doesn't take a genius to see he's the main enabler for their plays. Aye he just passes the ball side to side, but those connecting passes just stretch the game and gives them options. and as they push forward he comes further forward and then we're in our own final third and he's able to string these simple passes under no pressure and stretch the defence.

Having someone tight to him, man marking him the fuck out the game hurts celtic because then they start relying on long balls up the pitch and they can't operate like that. Which is exactly what celtic did against us yesterday. Pressed us, forced errors and long balls up at which point they get onto the 2nd ball because our whole team bar Lafferty and Morelos is in our half, then start their push onto us again. 

We've done it effectively against teams before and that's what was missing. Arfield, Jack, Halliday and McCrorie can all fill this role. Go out on the field, stay tight to Brown and you'll see a visible difference in celtics play. 

I actually thought Brown was pretty anonymous on Sunday, passing about in defence is about as good as it got. 

It's pointless keeping a man tight to Brown when we're playing a defensive formation. You would basically have a man running about after brown on his own in midfield, leaving more room for their real threat imo, ncham. So it wouldn't have worked on Sunday anyway unless we were all pushing up as a team and our defence was sitting further up. 

We never had the energy in the players or the quality replacements on the bench to be able to press them enough for the entire game.