A Case For The Defence...

StaunchLondonGer

Tbf to Barisic, Forrest is admittedly a quality winger, but I have my worries that we just have another Tav at LB now. He definitely should have been doing more against the little fud though. 

If we could make 3 at the back work for us (5-3-1-1) Katic/Goldson/Worrall then Tav and Barisic would have the freedom to exploit the wings. 

You can't stand of a team like the scum. If you give them time to plan their moves it improves their chances and eventually  you need to do something. Even when we did get the ball it was nust lumped up the park back to them. 

Their defence is shit and I'd expected we would go out to exploit that. 

55 minutes ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

mate it was absolutely relentless that first half. totally dominating open play plus set piece after set piece coming into the box so they were always going to win some of the headers and create chances.

I was pleasantly surprised watching it again how well we defended and cleared over all. Just a fucking shame we had so much of it to do.

Then you don’t sit so deep and invite them on, your defence starts on the halfway line  

Any other day we get an absolute humping.

25 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

I thought the centre of defence were excellent. 

Me too. By the standards of our budget and the SPL in general they were top drawer imo. I think some folk just cant accept we've got anything to be positive about at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Then you don’t sit so deep and invite them on, your defence starts on the halfway line  

Completely agree, on another day we break up the park and score ala Rod Wallace. 

We didn't press high, IMO that was deliberate.

5 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

to be fair they would have taken the line the manager instructed and done their best to deliver the game plan.

In many ways it reminded me a bit of the older old firm games, particularly under Tommy Burns when they battered us at times but couldn’t score, got frustrated then we hit them with a sucker punch. In those games you knew Goram would save us a few times, or Gough would stop a certain goal. 

We defended strongly for large parts of that game and McGregor is superb, but we don’t have Laudrup, Gascoigne etc. We lacked quaility in midfield and didn’t have anyone that looked as though they could unlock the celtic defence. Our defensive midfielders are strong but for me we missed Coulibaly and need more of a threat from our other attacking players. 

Just now, StaunchLondonGer said:

to be fair they would have taken the line the manager instructed and done their best to deliver the game plan.

Honestly don’t know if he wanted them that deep, just listening to his interview he doesn’t want to come straight out and get tore in but that first half they didn’t do a thing he wanted them to. 

6 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Completely agree, on another day we break up the park and score ala Rod Wallace. 

We didn't press high, IMO that was deliberate.

You don’t need to be on top of their defence to press high, stopping them at the half way line would’ve been a start. We let them get 25 yards from goal before they even meet a Rangers player. 

We don’t have those players anymore, so folk saying remember the good old days this and that, they are exactly that the old days. It’s time to find a way of beating these cunts. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Honestly don’t know if he wanted them that deep, just listening to his interview he doesn’t want to come straight out and get tore in but that first half they didn’t do a thing he wanted them to. 

yeh i'd go with that. can't imagine gerrard was happy with the first half at all. I think we just couldn't cope and fell back further than intended with no way to get out and counter.

Just now, StaunchLondonGer said:

yeh i'd go with that. can't imagine gerrard was happy with the first half at all. I think we just couldn't cope and fell back further than intended with no way to get out and counter.

I agree mate, we were crying out for a midfielder to put his foot on the ball and just slow the game down. Give us a breather and get some passing going. 

1 hour ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Tav is brutal and in all honesty Barisic didn't look too clever yesterday either.

I think S.G. will regret making Tav. Captain. He will Never be a R.B. in a million years. I was disappointed in Barisic who should have been fresh but at least he Will improve & that experience will help him. Tav has to move futher forward or move to the bench & bring in Flannigan .that alone will tighten up the defence.

14 minutes ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

Me too. By the standards of our budget and the SPL in general they were top drawer imo. I think some folk just cant accept we've got anything to be positive about at the moment.

Glad the break is on now. just go out & hump Dundee and take it from there

5 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

You don’t need to be on top of their defence to press high, stopping them at the half way line would’ve been a start. We let them get 25 yards from goal before they even meet a Rangers player. 

We don’t have those players anymore, so folk saying remember the good old days this and that, they are exactly that the old days. It’s time to find a way of beating these cunts. 

We were hammered far worse that day with a far better squad of players.

We didn't have the legs for high tempo pressing game that's been our trademark so far. I think it was conscious decision to let them have the ball. The problem was we allowed too much space in dangerous positions to Rogic, McGregor and Forrest.

1 minute ago, Big Al II said:

We didn't have the legs for high tempo pressing game that's been our trademark so far. I think it was conscious decision to let them have the ball. The problem was we allowed too much space in dangerous positions to Rogic, McGregor and Forrest.

As I’ve said mate, we meet them on the halfway line isn’t going to kill the legs in the first half. 

We don’t panic and just punt the ball back to them whenever we get it, trust their talent they aren’t shit players, pass the ball make them work to get it back. 

17 minutes ago, glasgow argyle said:

I think S.G. will regret making Tav. Captain. He will Never be a R.B. in a million years. I was disappointed in Barisic who should have been fresh but at least he Will improve & that experience will help him. Tav has to move futher forward or move to the bench & bring in Flannigan .that alone will tighten up the defence.

He has to move to the bench, he's no use further up the pitch either.

He'll never be part of a title winning Rangers team. Not as a regular starter anyway.

2 hours ago, BlueMe said:

Not really, celtic have won the league for years with a pish defence.

A strong midfield is important. If you can control the middle of the park then your can dictate the pace of the game, take pressure off your defence and link the play to your forwards. 

Well with celtic no one has really went face to face with them in the league. A lot of teams stay off and let them come into the game.
Their defence is suspect granted but the real reason is teams showing them far too much respect. That's how Hearts and Kilmarnock were able to get results, they took the game too celtic and got up in their face. 

56 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Anybody who’s watched the tramps more than once knows that, if you give them enough of the ball, they’ll eventually do something with it.

And madness to set ourselves up to go chasing the guys you’ve mentioned, on the back of a tough time on Thursday.

21 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Well with celtic no one has really went face to face with them in the league. A lot of teams stay off and let them come into the game.
Their defence is suspect granted but the real reason is teams showing them far too much respect. That's how Hearts and Kilmarnock were able to get results, they took the game too celtic and got up in their face. 

Hibs have took more points off them than us since we've been back up as well

2 hours ago, RFCRobertson said:

Naismith dominated their midfield against them.