Welcome back Tavernier

GOAT

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Tarriers at Ibrox, Feyenoord at Ibrox and last night?

Not sure if "bottled" is the right choice of word but he was certainly poor in those 3.

Apart from missing a penalty against Feyenoord what else did he do wrong? 

22 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I'm normally very forgiving to mistakes and quickly gave Tav the benefit of the doubt after the OF gaffe but it's happened too regularly on big occasions. And he has been very average all year, not just since Legia. The finger has to be pointed at him for the two mistakes as well as not taking a short corner and short free kick in the last 90 seconds to retain possession.

Valid points mate but the question still stands, despite his dip in form, who would contribute more than he has to the team from RB? who's putting in a cross of the quality he did v Midtjylland for Alfie to score?

No one.

Last night was frustrating as fuck but the positive I take is we have several players either to find form or to return from injury that will make us a much better side, we're not out this group yet by any means and competing strongly in the league, league cup as well, there's much  more to come from us, we'll have better days.

7 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Apart from missing a penalty against Feyenoord what else did he do wrong? 

They focused their attacks down his side because he was getting caught out continuously. Maybe that was because of the point @Getstiffed made about Arfield, maybe not. You asked for 3 games and I gave 3 since nobody else did.

You've only debated 1.

4 minutes ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

Valid points mate but the question still stands, despite his dip in form, who would contribute more than he has to the team from RB? who's putting in a cross of the quality he did v Midtjylland for Alfie to score?

No one.

Last night was frustrating as fuck but the positive I take is we have several players either to find form or to return from injury that will make us a much better side, we're not out this group yet by any means and competing strongly in the league, league cup as well, there's much  more to come from us, we'll have better days.

Tav has played almost every game for the last four years. It is easy to become complacent in that environment. Resting him for one game will send a strong message not just to him but everyone. I'm sure Polster is more than adequate to cope at home against Hamilton. I doubt it will happen but as a manager, I would certainly consider it in the next two days.

6 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

They focused their attacks down his side because he was getting caught out continuously. Maybe that was because of the point @Getstiffed made about Arfield, maybe not. You asked for 3 games and I gave 3 since nobody else did.

You've only debated 1.

They played their best attacker wide right for the whole first half mate and then when they changed it he was moved centrally.

As for him getting caught out? There's a difference between an attacking RB getting up the park, the ball being turned over, them breaking into the space vacated and him being poor positionally. There's plenty of occasions in his career at Rangers so far where he's been caught out of position, either he's tucked in when he shouldn't have or vice versa.

I will also add that we play with 2 sitting MF most of the time. If they are not there to fill those gaps then why are they there at all?

1 minute ago, Getstiffed said:

They played their best attacker wide right for the whole first half mate and then when they changed it he was moved centrally.

As for him getting caught out? There's a difference between an attacking RB getting up the park, the ball being turned over and them breaking into the space vacated and him being poor positionally. There's plenty of occasions in his career at Rangers so far where he's been caught out of position, either he's tucked in when he shouldn't have or vice versa.

I will also add that we play with 2 sitting MF most of the time. If they are not there to fill those gaps then why are they there at all?

That's actually a fair point.

5 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Pretty much expected that's how this would go.

Tav supporter asks for an example of him being shite.

Tav critic gives examples.

Tav supporter dismisses those examples.

Shocking stuff.

You've been asked what he did wrong apart from the penalty? Aside from him, along with pretty much whole team, being knackered for the last 20 minutes of the game I honestly can't think of one chance they created that came from his poor defensive work. You must remember something and if you do lay it out for us.

7 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

You've only debated 1.

Tarriers at Ibrox the whole team were shite. 

Last night he made one mistake which led to the equaliser then slipped for their 2nd.

He's played over 200 games and been directly involved in over 100 goals for us, I'm not going to hang the guy because he's had questionable performances in a handful of games. 

Just now, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

That's actually a fair point.

Its the only point if you or anyone else is gonna have a go at the guy over being up the park when teams counter attack us. We clearly play with two sitting so him and Barisic can get forward. All he's doing is what the manager laid out in his game plan and if that is costing us then the fault lies at the managers feet. Steven Gerrard tells you to get forward you fucken get forward. 

2 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

His best season in his career he predominantly played left back.

That’s entirely down to circumstance rather than by choice or design.

Flanagan covered for Glen Johnson (right back) and occasionally Jose Enrique (left back) and in 2013/14 Enrique was out injured for the majority of the season.

Hence why he played left back.

It is more to do with Glen Johnson being one of the best full backs in the EPL at that time, than Flanagan being a first choice left left back.

Flanagan just happened to be a right back who was a more dependable left back than Enrique’s intended understudy, Cissokho .

The fact he played both full back positions for a top EPL made him an attractive commodity  hence why Burnley, Bolton and now Rangers wanted him.

Whether you agree he’s any good or not, it doesn’t detract from the fact he is a right back first and a left back second.

2 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Last night he made one mistake which led to the equaliser then slipped for their 2nd.

He's played over 200 games and been directly involved in over 100 goals for us, I'm not going to hang the guy because he's had questionable performances in a handful of games. 

That wasn't a slip :lol:

5 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Tav has played almost every game for the last four years. It is easy to become complacent in that environment. Resting him for one game will send a strong message not just to him but everyone. I'm sure Polster is more than adequate to cope at home against Hamilton. I doubt it will happen but as a manager, I would certainly consider it in the next two days.

Two very experienced former club captains with exceptional standards see him in training every day and don't see complacency. Dont think that's a factor at all.

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

I've just made the point to Dart that when he slips he's actually read the play well, tucked in instead of tracking the wide run and he's slipped. I just don't know what else he can do there tbf. He's 100% at fault for the goal but I've been saying since last night that they would have scored a goal eventually because we just kept turning the ball over and inviting them on top of us and it doesn't matter that they're a Europa League side and not Barcelona, at this level if you keep giving away free hits eventually you're getting a bloody nose.]

Better Rangers teams have done the same thing against worse teams in Europe.

3 minutes ago, beararse said:

Whether you agree he’s any good or not, it doesn’t detract from the fact he is a right back first and a left back second.

Not for us he isn't - fuck knows why you're struggling with this fact.

2 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

Oh ok now we're diverting onto a debate about whether a slip is a slip. Fuck it, it was an own goal scored on purpose because he had 10 grand on 2-1.

Fuck me :lol:

It clearly wasn't a slip. He attempted some sort of clearance and it didn't work out. Simple as that, no need to be overly dramatic about it.

Archived