Patterson

29 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Harvey elliot, the guy who's played 1 minute of epl football this season, great example 

Fodens first appearance in the league for city was as a sub near the end of a 4-1 win to spurs

See the pattern here, these youngsters werent starting away at a tough ground that their teams had drew earlier in the season, they were gradually introduced to the first team, we are talking about throwing patterson into an away trip to Tynecastle, totally different

Tynecastle wouldn’t be his debut tho, would it?  He might have two first-team games under his belt by then.  Plus, he’s been training with the first-team in Dubai in recent weeks.  The boy is ready to make the step up he’s not being “thrown in” out of desperation.  He’s got quality and is now forcing his way in to the team.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Harvey elliot, the guy who's played 1 minute of epl football this season, great example 

Fodens first appearance in the league for city was as a sub near the end of a 4-1 win to spurs

See the pattern here, these youngsters werent starting away at a tough ground that their teams had drew earlier in the season, they were gradually introduced to the first team, we are talking about throwing patterson into an away trip to Tynecastle, totally different

Dont know about patterns, but I do see the goal posts move. You're now talking about a player's debut rather than contribution at a young age as was previously the discussion. You seem to be ok with Pattersons debut having happened, being ok with him playing St Mirren which you're not worried by, so potentially 3rd start after 2 full games in the Hearts game which seems to worry you so much.

Think you're overly worrying about their attack tbh rather than appreciating our strength in playing the system which has brought us most success. And that's with 2 full backs offering attacking width. Nothing I've seen has shown Flanagan capable of that. To change our system to incorporate a more defensive full back is likelier imo to cause us more problems than playing an attack minded 18 year old full back.

Or maybe Flanagan won't get the usual nosebleed when he crosses the halfway line.

17 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Dont know about patterns, but I do see the goal posts move. You're now talking about a player's debut rather than contribution at a young age as was previously the discussion. You seem to be ok with Pattersons debut having happened, being ok with him playing St Mirren which you're not worried by, so potentially 3rd start after 2 full games in the Hearts game which seems to worry you so much.

Think you're overly worrying about their attack tbh rather than appreciating our strength in playing the system which has brought us most success. And that's with 2 full backs offering attacking width. Nothing I've seen has shown Flanagan capable of that. To change our system to incorporate a more defensive full back is likelier imo to cause us more problems than playing an attack minded 18 year old full back.

Or maybe Flanagan won't get the usual nosebleed when he crosses the halfway line.

Our usual system is going to have to change anyway given morelos and defoe are completely different players

As for moving the goalposts, im not, im still pointing out that the seemingly best young players down south are gradually introduced, they get league cup games that their clubs don't give a flying fuck about

Patterson will probably do well against st mirren if he plays, but i still say thay Tynecastle is a completely different proposition and not worth the risk given how important this run is

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Our usual system is going to have to change anyway given morelos and defoe are completely different players

As for moving the goalposts, im not, im still pointing out that the seemingly best young players down south are gradually introduced, they get league cup games that their clubs don't give a flying fuck about

Patterson will probably do well against st mirren if he plays, but i still say thay Tynecastle is a completely different proposition and not worth the risk given how important this run is

Hearts have won 2 games in the league this season. 

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

Flanagan (several really poor performances) and Polster (largely untested) offer risks too.

I'm not adverse to opting for experience per se, guess in this instance I'm not convinced that experience equates to quality, nor that an experienced defensive minded player in this game is less risky to us winning than an attack minded inexperienced one.

Anyways. Whoever gets the nod, just hope they step up and play their part in a victory.

7 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Take england for example, what youngsters have liverpool used this season in their romp to the title? Man city? The rest are so far away from the title their comparison to us isnt close

Talking of Liverpool, they are getting the benefit of trusting youngsters now. Alexander-Arnold had 28 premier league starts as 19 year old. Gomez had around the same at20. They were chasing in a far more competing, higher quality league than our backwater. They took their chances because they were given the opportunity.

Unless our promising youngsters are given a chance and I do not mean shifted out to part time clubs or lower league dross we will never produce our own players like we did in the 40,s, 50,s 60,s and 70,s. To have made real money from players we have developed once in 30 odd years is an absolute disgrace for a club our size.

Have I been asleep for a few weeks?

Last time I looked, Hearts were (by 5pts) the worst team in our league. 

If Hamilton, Ross C or St Mirren were rock bottom of the league, would we be having a debate about whether or not we could beat them with 1 promising youth player in the team? 

I know they drew with us earlier in the season, but we could not have played worse if we tried that day. 

We will beat them with or without young Nathan. 

8 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Those are really grim statistics. I'm expecting a better graph from our current development squad in the coming years.

The last paragraph of that kinda proves my point, unless we sell tav in the summer and use Patterson as his replacement there and then, promoting him to the first team and having him sit on the bench every week will do him no good

He needs game time, look at mcgregor, would he be as good a keeper if he didnt go out on loan when he did for valuable game time 

4 hours ago, TheCutch said:

Have I been asleep for a few weeks?

Last time I looked, Hearts were (by 5pts) the worst team in our league. 

If Hamilton, Ross C or St Mirren were rock bottom of the league, would we be having a debate about whether or not we could beat them with 1 promising youth player in the team? 

I know they drew with us earlier in the season, but we could not have played worse if we tried that day. 

We will beat them with or without young Nathan. 

No we wouldnt because neither of they teams took 2 points off us earlier in the season

You say we could not have played worse if we tried, many times did we think that last season only to see the likes of Aberdeen, killie, hibs etc do it to us time and again

6 hours ago, docspiderman said:

Talking of Liverpool, they are getting the benefit of trusting youngsters now. Alexander-Arnold had 28 premier league starts as 19 year old. Gomez had around the same at20. They were chasing in a far more competing, higher quality league than our backwater. They took their chances because they were given the opportunity.

Unless our promising youngsters are given a chance and I do not mean shifted out to part time clubs or lower league dross we will never produce our own players like we did in the 40,s, 50,s 60,s and 70,s. To have made real money from players we have developed once in 30 odd years is an absolute disgrace for a club our size.

Liverpool introduced TAA and gomez when they were comfortably in the CL slots down south but out of the league running, this season they have gave 1 minute toa promising youngster in the league and theres a reason for that, they know the titleis within their grasp and dont want inexperience to fuck it up (i doubt it will mind you) 

I just don't think having inexperience in the side in this massive run of games is a good idea, this could win us the league if the tarriers drop points somewhere, 

There’s absolutely no reason that Patterson shouldn’t play against St Mirren.

We are going to dominate the ball and the game and he’s the most like for like replacement that we have for Tav in terms of the type of player that they are and considering how settled our side is and how comfortable they are with the way we play we should be doing all that we can do not disrupt that.

3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

No we wouldnt because neither of they teams took 2 points off us earlier in the season

You say we could not have played worse if we tried, many times did we think that last season only to see the likes of Aberdeen, killie, hibs etc do it to us time and again

If you think we are comparable as a team this season, to last season, then you crack on mate.

I have no fears of Hearts. 

3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Liverpool introduced TAA and gomez when they were comfortably in the CL slots down south but out of the league running, this season they have gave 1 minute toa promising youngster in the league and theres a reason for that, they know the titleis within their grasp and dont want inexperience to fuck it up (i doubt it will mind you) 

I just don't think having inexperience in the side in this massive run of games is a good idea, this could win us the league if the tarriers drop points somewhere, 

The other way of looking at it is that because they blooded 2 young players who are now regulars they now  have a team which picks itself. They have done well in doing what used to be the best practice of introducing a couple of their own youngsters in a 3 to 4 year period.

With us it has over the last 30 years been seen as a huge risk to play a youngster for more than a few minutes at the end of a  game.This has brought the practice of loaning out players to get game time; over that timescale this has paid off with McGregor and Adam,at the moment I cannot think of any other.

We keep being told that the way forward is producing our own players to play or be sold at a profit but I have not seen any progress in this dream despite so many changes in our youth system over the years. Basically we spend a lot of time and money producing players for other teams rather than for Rangers.

12 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

My only fear against Hearts is the fact we’ve not got Morelos in all honesty

That would have been my main fear aswell mate, had it not been for the performance at easter rd. 

That was a massive turning point in my confidence levels that night. To do that without Alfie and Davis against (imo) the 4th best team in our league, showed just how focused we are this season. 

28 minutes ago, TheCutch said:

That would have been my main fear aswell mate, had it not been for the performance at easter rd. 

That was a massive turning point in my confidence levels that night. To do that without Alfie and Davis against (imo) the 4th best team in our league, showed just how focused we are this season. 

Not a chance hearts will setup against us like hibs did at easter road, infact other than the tarriers i think every team now will park the bus big time against us, hibs never at easter road, their boss pretty much admitted that mistake

32 minutes ago, docspiderman said:

The other way of looking at it is that because they blooded 2 young players who are now regulars they now  have a team which picks itself. They have done well in doing what used to be the best practice of introducing a couple of their own youngsters in a 3 to 4 year period.

With us it has over the last 30 years been seen as a huge risk to play a youngster for more than a few minutes at the end of a  game.This has brought the practice of loaning out players to get game time; over that timescale this has paid off with McGregor and Adam,at the moment I cannot think of any other.

We keep being told that the way forward is producing our own players to play or be sold at a profit but I have not seen any progress in this dream despite so many changes in our youth system over the years. Basically we spend a lot of time and money producing players for other teams rather than for Rangers.

Yeah Liverpool blooded they two but that was because they had the chance to, imo right now we dont simply because the title is within our grasp

Gerrard has shown time and again that he values experience, especially at the back, how many times has katic been dropped for someone more experienced than him, infact if helander didnt get injured there wasnt a chance in hell that katic scores that goal at the piggery 

Davis, out injured since the sheep game, brought back asap and given the 90 away to the tarriers 

Hastie sent out on loan while we play arfield or aribo out wide, defoe replaces morelos instead of a youth striker on the bench

Theres a world of difference between St mirren at home and hearts away, at Tynecastle we'll be under more pressure, the pitch is tighter, less time on the ball, more intensity in our half from the opponents, more situations where, imo, experience is needed more than ever

Pattersons time will come, it just not right now imo

7 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Yeah Liverpool blooded they two but that was because they had the chance to, imo right now we dont simply because the title is within our grasp

Gerrard has shown time and again that he values experience, especially at the back, how many times has katic been dropped for someone more experienced than him, infact if helander didnt get injured there wasnt a chance in hell that katic scores that goal at the piggery 

Davis, out injured since the sheep game, brought back asap and given the 90 away to the tarriers 

Hastie sent out on loan while we play arfield or aribo out wide, defoe replaces morelos instead of a youth striker on the bench

Theres a world of difference between St mirren at home and hearts away, at Tynecastle we'll be under more pressure, the pitch is tighter, less time on the ball, more intensity in our half from the opponents, more situations where, imo, experience is needed more than ever

Pattersons time will come, it just not right now imo

Let’s see how he does against St.Mirren.  If he puts in another good performance he’ll be in contention for that game against Hearts.  

5 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The last paragraph of that kinda proves my point, unless we sell tav in the summer and use Patterson as his replacement there and then, promoting him to the first team and having him sit on the bench every week will do him no good

He needs game time, look at mcgregor, would he be as good a keeper if he didnt go out on loan when he did for valuable game time 

We don't have a good success rate when loaning out players. McGregor and Adam from the past and young Kelly seems to be doing well this year. Look, I think the kid should start tomorrow and if he plays well, he should play at Tyncastle as well. You don't.  Let's see what the gaffer thinks.

2 hours ago, bluenoz said:

We don't have a good success rate when loaning out players. McGregor and Adam from the past and young Kelly seems to be doing well this year. Look, I think the kid should start tomorrow and if he plays well, he should play at Tyncastle as well. You don't.  Let's see what the gaffer thinks.

If he doesn't go out on loan then when does he play? Do we drop tav ever second game to allow patterson to develop? 

Archived