Patterson

Had a wee nosey at Polster and Flanagans records in the game that lends weight to the experience argument, or otherwise.

In 8 years prior to joining us Flanagan made only 55 senior appearances. 40 for liverpool, 15 on loan. In his career he's won a runners up cup medal. Hes got one cap from an England friendly.

Polster got over 80 appearances for Chicago fire, dont see that he won anything, he also has one international cap from a friendly.

Each to their own but I dont see those stats as impressive enough to scream 'winner' and drive their selection preference over a guy that has fought his way into the senior squad on merit at the age of 18 and performed well to date. Especially not when aligned with variable performances, especially from Flanagan. Some players do seem happy to pick up a wage, be in reserve, and try their best if and when called upon I suppose. 

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Had a wee nosey at Polster and Flanagans records in the game that lends weight to the experience argument, or otherwise.

In 8 years prior to joining us Flanagan made only 55 senior appearances. 40 for liverpool, 15 on loan. In his career he's won a runners up cup medal. Hes got one cap from an England friendly.

Polster got over 80 appearances for Chicago fire, dont see that he won anything, he also has one international cap from a friendly.

Each to their own but I dont see those stats as impressive enough to scream 'winner' and drive their selection preference over a guy that has fought his way into the senior squad on merit at the age of 18 and performed well to date. Especially not when aligned with variable performances, especially from Flanagan. Some players do seem happy to pick up a wage, be in reserve, and try their best if and when called upon I suppose. 

Performed well to date? He played at home against stranraer, patterson is a great prospect but basing his selection in must win league games due to us beating stranraer at home is far fetched, foderingham kept a clean sheet last Friday, should he keep his place

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Performed well to date? He played at home against stranraer, patterson is a great prospect but basing his selection in must win league games due to us beating stranraer at home is far fetched, foderingham kept a clean sheet last Friday, should he keep his place

He was excellent in the Colts Wrexham game til injured half an hour in, had a strong performance in Dubai, then imo our motm on Friday. So yeah, to date covers it, every game I've seen him in.

No for Fod as theres a first team regular available, not the same situation in the slightest with Patterson really.

Must win league game and youd rather drop a guy bursting a gut to do well and whose manager has promoted him whilst saying hes done everything asked of him. For a guy who is happy to be a back up and hasn't in his career made himself a regular first pick. An experienced play-if-we have-to type in this must win game. Fair enough mate.

12 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Yeah Liverpool blooded they two but that was because they had the chance to, imo right now we dont simply because the title is within our grasp

Gerrard has shown time and again that he values experience, especially at the back, how many times has katic been dropped for someone more experienced than him, infact if helander didnt get injured there wasnt a chance in hell that katic scores that goal at the piggery 

Davis, out injured since the sheep game, brought back asap and given the 90 away to the tarriers 

Hastie sent out on loan while we play arfield or aribo out wide, defoe replaces morelos instead of a youth striker on the bench

Theres a world of difference between St mirren at home and hearts away, at Tynecastle we'll be under more pressure, the pitch is tighter, less time on the ball, more intensity in our half from the opponents, more situations where, imo, experience is needed more than ever

Pattersons time will come, it just not right now imo

JBJ using your argument the only way Patterson or any young player will get a chance with us is if we have the league sown up before the last few games and are out of the cup. As I said I have not seen Patterson play so I really cannot say whether he should start the next game or next two games. I am talking about our complete failure to develop our own players and the obvious lack of faith in our youth development in the last 30 years. I wonder what Mbappe would be doing now if he had entered our youth set up.

4 hours ago, docspiderman said:

JBJ using your argument the only way Patterson or any young player will get a chance with us is if we have the league sown up before the last few games and are out of the cup. As I said I have not seen Patterson play so I really cannot say whether he should start the next game or next two games. I am talking about our complete failure to develop our own players and the obvious lack of faith in our youth development in the last 30 years. I wonder what Mbappe would be doing now if he had entered our youth set up.

The same mbappe who made his league debut as a two minute sub in a season when Monaco finished 31 points behind the league winners, thats mbappe? 

7 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

He was excellent in the Colts Wrexham game til injured half an hour in, had a strong performance in Dubai, then imo our motm on Friday. So yeah, to date covers it, every game I've seen him in.

No for Fod as theres a first team regular available, not the same situation in the slightest with Patterson really.

Must win league game and youd rather drop a guy bursting a gut to do well and whose manager has promoted him whilst saying hes done everything asked of him. For a guy who is happy to be a back up and hasn't in his career made himself a regular first pick. An experienced play-if-we have-to type in this must win game. Fair enough mate.

Flanagan has made 30 appearances for us, mostly in an unfavoured position and had never once shirked from giving 100%,

I'm sure Gerrard see's enough of Patterson in training to know if he will stand up to the physicality of the league. If he stands out against our players in training matches then he should be good enough. 

There's absolutely no harm in trying him at home against St mirren who are going to have 11 men behind the ball.  He's more attacking than Flanagan and that's why I'd start the young lad. 

He played well and took his chance albeit against a poor Stranraer side but others struggled in that game and unfortunately he doesn't get to pick who he makes his full debut against. 

I'll admit playing away to hearts could be a different tactical game which might suit Flanagan but let's take 1 game at a time. 

2 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Flanagan has made 30 appearances for us, mostly in an unfavoured position and had never once shirked from giving 100%,

And yet isnt the automatic 1st pick in his apparent favoured position when the captain is out injured, nor can he force his way into the team when Tav went through a poor spell. All that experience yet in his whole career never mind just at Rangers never made a place in a team his own.

6 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The same mbappe who made his league debut as a two minute sub in a season when Monaco finished 31 points behind the league winners, thats mbappe? 

Yes that the one, Played 44 games the next season at 17, scoring 28 goals and winning the title. Of course it would be crazy to compare the quality of that Monaco team to us but apart from celtic and Aberdeen, in general, the quality of the opposition in Scotland should  hardly be too  challenging to blood one youngster in a game. If we cannot or will not take that sort of chance  would it be better to bin the youth structure and save  the money to buy only experienced players?

6 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Flanagan has been solid at full-back many times and been real value considering we got him for free.  I was certain he would get a new contract here as cover for the full-back positions.  However, when Barisic missed a game a few weeks back and Flanagan came in it really hit home how much we lose going forward when Flanagan plays.  This 4-3-3 system is dependant on attacking full-backs with quality going forward.  Long-term I can’t see Flanagan, Halliday, or Polster making it.  

Patterson as cover for Tavernier makes more sense.  Patterson is an attacking full-back and one of our most promising youth prospects.  I think a quality LB will be brought in during the summer window as back up to Borna.

20 minutes ago, TMB said:

Flanagan has been solid at full-back many times and been real value considering we got him for free.  I was certain he would get a new contract here as cover for the full-back positions.  However, when Barisic missed a game a few weeks back and Flanagan came in it really hit home how much we lose going forward when Flanagan plays.  This 4-3-3 system is dependant on attacking full-backs with quality going forward.  Long-term I can’t see Flanagan, Halliday, or Polster making it.  

Patterson as cover for Tavernier makes more sense.  Patterson is an attacking full-back and one of our most promising youth prospects.  I think a quality LB will be brought in during the summer window as back up to Borna.

I think you're right re Patterson being Tavs cover,  and I expect young Maxwell will do the same for left back.

16 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

It's a fair point. 

6 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

And yet isnt the automatic 1st pick in his apparent favoured position when the captain is out injured, nor can he force his way into the team when Tav went through a poor spell. All that experience yet in his whole career never mind just at Rangers never made a place in a team his own.

Its not flanagans fault that gerrard has his undroppables, and that discussion has been done to death in many tav/goldson threads

Ive said my piece, i dont think the run of games and their importance is the time to be takingna chance on inexperience, others feel different, no matter what gerrard chooses i just want us to win this fucking league 

3 hours ago, TMB said:

I totally agree about what we lose when flanagan plays fullback, however we should be able to adapt and change our style to accommodate that 

What happens if barisic or tav have a stinker in a game, do we not change it then, do we pray they come good 

Warburton got rightly slaughtered for having plan A and only plan A, yet here we are moaning that one fullback missing totally fucks up our style, instead of talking about how we will change it up to accomodate the different players, we talk about how our plan A needs like for like players, 

Wheres plan B or plan C? 

Archived