All about the passing

They Gnu

I think our main flaw is we don't move the ball quick enough. Yes we are good at hunting it down and pressing folk but when we get the ball there's quite a few of our players who like to take far too many touches before moving it forward or then results in them going sideways. Aribo is our biggest culprit of this and seems to go nowhere also kamara luvs to pirouette on the ball all the time and big goldson seems to take an eternity to pass it or in his case lump it. 

Watched the highlights of the Liverpool game and the difference when they do it is(yes I know they have more money and better quality players) the ball is always moving forward or it's a 1-2 with someone and the player passing it is then normally on his bike to make a run beyond who he just gave it to. At the moment we only have about 3 players who are capable of this in barisic/tav and at times Kent. Jack doesn't do it(although he is normally all action) , neither does Davis, aribo certainly doesn't and kamara doesn't either which then makes it far too easy for teams to defend against us and we normally need a morelos goal to get us going. 

Our overlapping players need to make more of an effort to go beyond and drag the opposition away to create space, we are far too static in possession in the final 3rd and it's painful to watch when you can see from the 1st 15mins if we are up for it. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, They Gnu said:

The difference between us playing well and floundering, as we’ve done since the break, is all down to how well we pass the ball. I’ve not seen the stats but the number of misplaced or badly weighted passes in our last three games has been ridiculous. I don’t think our system is flawed we’re just not executing it properly.

True mate and from what I have seen the players look physically and mentaly tired. The winter break was the time to rest up work on tactics and formations ect not run the team into the fucking ground. When you are tired at your work that is when mistakes are made footballers are no different. Also funny how polster never made Dubai and he looks fitter and is playing better than some who did go to the training camp.

2 hours ago, Inigo said:

Aye, lying down because they'd thrown themselves trying to block the shot at the end of the move. Eduardoe ran through several men by passing and moving.

Sad to say it, but the control of the ball and the tight, accurate little passes, especially for Edouarde's goal involving Rogic, are something we rarely do. They moved Hamilton around to create the space and accurate passes exploited it. It's how you beat deep, packed defences. It was slick and it's kidding yourself on to suggest otherwise. We're not slick. We need to find the quality to do this better.

I still disagree with you.

In no-neck's goal, the first defender is on the ground even before no-neck is ready to shoot and the other two are beyond the lane he chooses to shoot at goal when they throw themselves to the ground. That's just horrific defending.

In Eduardo's goal, before the last pass put's him through the ball comes off a defender straight to the passer. Hardly precision passing. Luck and the fact that you could drive a bus through the defensive lanes of Hamilton. Just abjectly poor defending all around.

I know we are all hurting from our play and results in the last week but celtic are not that good that we need to get depressed about their ability and our lack of same. Think about the effort that went into the sheep's defensive wall and how hard it was to break it down and compare that with the poor level of effort and quality from Hamilton's defence.

We have been rampant before and it's not unreasonable to expect us to regain that level of performance again. Probably just in time to trounce the east-enders and show up their lack of intricacy.

17 minutes ago, 72barca said:

I still disagree with you.

In no-neck's goal, the first defender is on the ground even before no-neck is ready to shoot and the other two are beyond the lane he chooses to shoot at goal when they throw themselves to the ground. That's just horrific defending.

In Eduardo's goal, before the last pass put's him through the ball comes off a defender straight to the passer. Hardly precision passing. Luck and the fact that you could drive a bus through the defensive lanes of Hamilton. Just abjectly poor defending all around.

I know we are all hurting from our play and results in the last week but celtic are not that good that we need to get depressed about their ability and our lack of same. Think about the effort that went into the sheep's defensive wall and how hard it was to break it down and compare that with the poor level of effort and quality from Hamilton's defence.

We have been rampant before and it's not unreasonable to expect us to regain that level of performance again. Probably just in time to trounce the east-enders and show up their lack of intricacy.

Put blue shirts on those goals and you're agreeing with my assessment of them. Like I say, kidding yourself. The sheep were only hard to break down because we made them so. They're no defensive titans. Hamilton were made to look their level, last 10 minutes, whereas Aberdeen were made to look decent by our failings. Gerrard sees that tbf, going by his post match comments.

Between them, tav and borna have 14 assist this season in the league, id say about 5 of them probably from set pieces, it worked well at the start but as the season goes on teams adapt and learn to control our system 

Look at the recent st mirren game, they didn't care if we had the ball out wide, they made sure everyone was goalside in the middle and defoe was double marked, our goal came from a lucky break off a shot 

The tarriers top two assisters, they dont play the same position (i.e fullback) one is part of the midfield 3 the other is a wide player, so even if they do play the exact same system as we do as some have stated, their assists come from completely different people, they know how to mix it up during the games, we dont

2 hours ago, Inigo said:

Put blue shirts on those goals and you're agreeing with my assessment of them. Like I say, kidding yourself. The sheep were only hard to break down because we made them so. They're no defensive titans. Hamilton were made to look their level, last 10 minutes, whereas Aberdeen were made to look decent by our failings. Gerrard sees that tbf, going by his post match comments.

They were down to ten men for most of the match, so I think it's you who is kidding himself. We have this season and shall again play well, the scum won't play much better than they did.

50 minutes ago, 72barca said:

They were down to ten men for most of the match, so I think it's you who is kidding himself. We have this season and shall again play well, the scum won't play much better than they did.

And they shouldn't have been down to 10 men as the prick that was fouled at the red card incident  shoulda been off for the stamp earlier in the match

1 hour ago, Don54 said:

And they shouldn't have been down to 10 men as the prick that was fouled at the red card incident  shoulda been off for the stamp earlier in the match

:tu:

All down to the compliant help from their sleeping partner from the SFA ..... not wanting to use his red card on the prick for fear of retribution.

🇬🇧

It’s not the passing 

it’s the shooting - either no one wants to or when we do it’s ballooned over. Fucking professional footballers who can’t hit the target. 

knee over the ball, laces through it and it won’t go any higher than a crossbar - schoolboy stuff

3 hours ago, 72barca said:

10 men has little to do with how well you move the ball or how good your own movement is.

Celtics attack is better than ours- defensively not much between us and them but going forward you see more interchanging of positions etc and quicker passing.  We just look so laboured,  I’m hoping Motherwell can get in amongst that lot and scrape a draw but all I can see is celtic scoring Atleast 3 goals against them.

we may have improved on last years stats but so have they. It’s alright picking faults in Hamilton’s defensive shape etc but the tims seem to put that much pressure on the defence to cause the mistakes all the while we play how the opposite team wants us to play.   Aberdeen-, hearts, stmirren, all ushered us out wide knowing that they’ll more than likely win the heading contest from the resulting crosses.   We don’t play how we want to play and that’s because we don’t have this creative band of players behind the lone striker.   Our players that are meant to dictate the pace of the game tend to slow the game down with their ridiculous need for touches before passing to a fellow player.

that Cosgrove chance 1-1 with McGregor shows what we should be doing, getting up the pitch in 2-3 passes but we don’t.  Davis wants 2-3 touches to make a 5 us pass, Aribo and Kamara are the same. Or in Kamara case misplaces the pass or makes the wrong pass.  

Archived